Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Madson

Ryan Madson

Per mlbtraderumors.com, Reds are seriously pursuing.

Please, oh please!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Madson

This would probably put us in to serious contention for the pennant but I'm still concerned about depth in the outfield and infield.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

This is terrific news. I guess I like Heisey more than most. Looking forward to seeing him get his due. A JD Drew would be a nice LH compliment.

This would be a better option than Cordero or Wood if the price is right. I think something like 3 years and $21MM sounds fair. If a deal happens and it's for more than about $8 or $9MM per year, then I think it's a bad move that could hamstring the club somewhat in the future.

I'm guessing more like 3 yrs @ $8MM with a 1-year player option. $25MM guaranteed. Either that or 1 yr/$10MM. Bullpen would be deadly, especially late in the year and in the postseason once Chapman is moved to the pen.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

This is the news I've been hoping to see and could not understand why it was not happening --- maybe the Reds have played their cards properly & he can be bought for a good deal -- I like Coco's past numbers BUT I fear he can't repeat them.

1 year or 2 years or 3 years -- as long as it still fits the budget - which I suspect is in the $7M per range -- I say get him.

We can look at OF after that.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

does anyone else think that the money may be better allocated to the rotation? I'd think someone like roy oswalt could provide more value for the money. He'd eat up more innings than madson and kick out a potentially volatile homer bailey or, better yet, bronson arroyo, providing more value. that's not to say i wouldnt like to see him on a 1 yr deal in conjunction with extending marshall to fill the role for 2013, 2014 seasons at a cheaper rate than would normally be paid for a closer of that talent. You also have to wonder if that money could be put toward protection for votto, but unfortunately i don't see much of a market for power right handed LFers.

Quote Originally Posted by kuleyb View Post
    does anyone else think that the money may be better allocated to the rotation? I'd think someone like roy oswalt could provide more value for the money. He'd eat up more innings than madson and kick out a potentially volatile homer bailey or, better yet, bronson arroyo, providing more value. that's not to say i wouldnt like to see him on a 1 yr deal in conjunction with extending marshall to fill the role for 2013, 2014 seasons at a cheaper rate than would normally be paid for a closer of that talent. You also have to wonder if that money could be put toward protection for votto, but unfortunately i don't see much of a market for power right handed LFers.
    No, because everyone else thinks bringing in oswalt is pointless after bringing in Latos. There is not a place for oswalt. I said in another post i think bronson will have a better year than oswalt. Madson would make this bullpen match up with that of the braves, and rangers

No room. If the Reds need a extra arm(which Oswalt is) they can trade him for nothing in July. People always whine about the Cardinals, but this is what they do all the time.

If Arroyo bombs out, Bailey can't fix the delivery glitch or Leake regresses to much, there is always a arm in July easily had.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    No, because everyone else thinks bringing in oswalt is pointless after bringing in Latos. There is not a place for oswalt. I said in another post i think bronson will have a better year than oswalt. Madson would make this bullpen match up with that of the braves, and rangers
    I understand the idea behind potentially forming a shutdown bullpen, but if we're going for net value, oswalt's innings over arroyo's would help a lot. after the rotation's performance last year, i'm reluctant to believe latos alone is enough. plus, we lack depth at SP already. If anyone goes down we're going to have to rely on chapman which could stunt his growth and potentially blow up in our face. I agree, arroyo could and will bounce back to some degree, but Oswalt could take the rotation to the next level. Latos-Cueto-Oswalt-Leake-Bailey (not sure if chapman starts in AAA) is a WS caliber rotation. If we're going all in, lets put ourselves in position to win a championship, not just the division.

I understand the idea behind potentially forming a shutdown bullpen, but if we're going for net value, oswalt's innings over arroyo's would help a lot. after the rotation's performance last year, i'm reluctant to believe latos alone is enough. plus, we lack depth at SP already. If anyone goes down we're going to have to rely on chapman which could stunt his growth and potentially blow up in our face. I agree, arroyo could and will bounce back to some degree, but Oswalt could take the rotation to the next level. Latos-Cueto-Oswalt-Leake-Bailey (not sure if chapman starts in AAA) is a WS caliber rotation. If we're going all in, lets put ourselves in position to win a championship, not just the division.
    Bronson has thrown more innings than oswalt for about the last 3 years. true oswalt was at one time an ace but he isnt better than bronson at this point when he only threw 100 innings last season. Bartolo did better than that and he started in the season in the pen

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

I would be thrilled to give Oswalt a chance too -- since it is not my money I can be really free with it though.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

Great news!

and there are some Cards fans who have their panties in a wad over this signing.

One year, 8.5 mil. Brilliant.

With the addition of Madson and the rest of the bullpen, it's almost turned into a 6 inning game! That too was the ingredient for success in 1990.

Turn Off Ads?