Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #23 prospect?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3B Junior Arias

5 10.20%
  • 1B/3B Sean Buckley

3 6.12%
  • RHP Alejandro Chacin

0 0%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

3 6.12%
  • LHP Amir Garrett

9 18.37%
  • UT Brodie Greene

5 10.20%
  • RHP Drew Hayes

0 0%
  • LHP Donnie Joseph

4 8.16%
  • RHP Josh Judy

3 6.12%
  • RHP Dan Renken

3 6.12%
  • OF Bryson Smith

1 2.04%
  • RHP Josh Smith

7 14.29%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

2 4.08%
  • OF Kyle Waldrop

0 0%
  • 2B Ryan Wright

4 8.16%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is Redszone's #23 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #23 prospect?

I've been impressed with Ryan Wright. 20 xBH in 40 games in Billings. A 2b who will stay a 2b and perhaps maintain a decent bat as he gets promoted. I think he could be ready by 2014, and could possibly take over for Phillips if he's extended until 2015. He'll be in the mix with the many MI. I remember hearing some good things about his hitting, and think he could go the Chris Valaika / Todd Frazier route more likely than Greene or Lohman or Puckett. Remember Valaika was minor leaguer of the year a while back, so he was on a good pace. Just picking from the gut on this one. Haven't picked in a while.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?

Buckley, Garrett and Renken are probably all better options, lol.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Your objections to Greene don't really hold up.

I've linked a 2010 article from the Lynchburg paper in which Greene is discussed as a guy who made an unexpectedly rapid rise to High-A:

http://www2.newsadvance.com/sports/2...voi-ar-320695/
    I like Greene as a prospect as well, but I think doug's criticisms are very fair. When evaluating players as major league prospects, age will always be a factor. Greene may eventually make it to the bigs as a valuable starter/utility guy, but his age and level he played at last year tend to indicate he won't be a future star player. Generally, if a guy is starting the season in the minors at age 26, he's no longer looked upon as an impact big leaguer. As someone who'll turn 25 in September, Greene would have to rise quickly to still look like much of a prospect.

Yorman Rodriguez is a perfect example of this. He's currently Redszones' 7th rated prospect, and that is based largely on age and tools. The older he gets, the more he has to produce to still be considered a top prospect. Once you hit a certain age, if you aren't putting up big numbers in the high minors, you're easily forgotten about in favor of younger guys whose future is still completely unknown.

Brodie Greene could put up comparable (or even better) numbers to last year and finish the year in AAA and I'm sure doug and many other people would probably reevaluate his position on their prospect list at that point
    Last edited by OGB; 01-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I like Greene as a prospect as well, but I think doug's criticisms are very fair. When evaluating players as major league prospects, age will always be a factor. Greene may eventually make it to the bigs as a valuable starter/utility guy, but his age and level he played at last year tend to indicate he won't be a future star player.
    And who said, implied, or even hinted that he would be a star? We're talking about #23 on a prospect list that has lost five players.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

And who said, implied, or even hinted that he would be a star? We're talking about #23 on a prospect list that has lost five players.
    And of course, as I said, I don't have an issue with him in this range. I have him in the 20's, though at the back end. My issue was more with him being inside the Top 15.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And of course, as I said, I don't have an issue with him in this range. I have him in the 20's, though at the back end. My issue was more with him being inside the Top 15.
    You swayed me. I've now lowered him to #4 on my list.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You swayed me. I've now lowered him to #4 on my list.
    Success!

The point is that on lists like this, guys like Greene get ranked behind guys like Garret, because people forecast Garret's ceiling as a future Cy Young contender.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    The point is that on lists like this, guys like Greene get ranked behind guys like Garret, because people forecast Garret's ceiling as a future Cy Young contender.
    And I frankly do not think there is anything wrong with this. I don't understand voting for a guy like Greene here. His ceiling is very low as he was essential an average player in the California league with no tools that project to be plus as a major leaguer. He seems to be the guy who will play in the bigs someday, but he doesn't figure to be anything above replacement value. The Reds could pick up guys like Greene near the major league minimum every year as a free agent.

Amir Garrett has a much lower chance of being a major leaguer than Greene, but if he does pitch in the bigs, he could possibly become a cornerstone-level player. I want to play upside with my minor leaguers. Sign guys who may not be as good now, but have a chance to make hey in the major leagues rather than signing older guys who are better ballplayers now just because it allows your minor league affiliates to win more games. I think the Reds fall in the middle of this strategy, but if it comes to who do I value more, Amir Garrett or Greene, I go to Garrett every time.

Wonder if it's time to get Christiani into the poll?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Wonder if it's time to get Christiani into the poll?
    I've put him in there once or twice before. I'll give it another shot.

Turn Off Ads?