Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phillips extension not so likely afterall

Phillips extension not so likely afterall

Saying he is glad the Reds picked up the option, but there won't be a "homeboy discount." Love BP, but I don't want to see the Reds giving him an extension with a $12M(+) average.

Now, do you shop him now for his replacement and maybe a young OF or starter, then possibye use the savings to sign Kuroda or Cespedes? If so, who might want BP?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...-phillips.html
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-10-2012 at 10:57 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips extension not so likely afterall

You kind of have to keep him for this season, as it looks like the Reds are going for it. In the offseason, you offer him the $12 million star option and hope he takes an LTC somewhere else while you get the picks.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Lets just see what happens in 2012. This is a big season, and a lot can change between now and November...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

At this point, the Reds are in a good position.

Madson may have an option year.
    If they can't resign Phillips to a reasonable deal, they can use his money to try and extend Marshal, Madson or any of their other good talent.

I'd like Phillips to stay 2-3 more years, but I agree we can't make him the highest paid 2b in the game (Not saying he wants that, just making a point).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

It really makes sense for both sides to wait and see. For as much as BP wants to be here, even he can probably see why the Reds need to wait and see about 2012. The view from the lofty heights they're reaching for will be much different in 300 days or so. He's got to be excited to be a part of it.
    2015 Rotation: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yeah. I don't think he gets extended now. The payroll situation is changing fast. The Reds have second base candidates coming through their farm system.

They can't sign everyone. And at some point, like in 2008 and 2009, they have to turn back to their farm system to keep things cheap and give those guys a chance.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    You kind of have to keep him for this season, as it looks like the Reds are going for it.
    Yep. I suppose it's possible to create a trade scenario that subtracts Phillips yet makes the 2012 Reds better, but it's hard to think of a realistic one.
    Not all who wander are lost

Theoretically it seems like the Reds still have roughly $3-$5 million to spend. I'd kick some or all of that in the direction of Arroyo and Rolen in exchange for either stretching their current deals payments out over a longer period of time.

In other words, the Reds owe Arroyo $12 million in 2012 and $11.5 Million in 2013. Kick the first $3 million from 2013 in now, in exchange the Reds pay $4.5 million in 2013 and $4 million in 2014. You could even stretch the extra payments out a little bit if you don't want a $4 million obligation to a former player to hit all at once. Taking into consideration the time value of money, this would benefit the player as much as the team.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I'd still like to see BP extended, so long as it is for <$12MM annually.
    Go BLUE!!!

If I were the Reds...I'd trade BPhipps now along with Chapman or Homer for a MLB OF, 2B and legit Pitching prospect(s).

I posted this someplace else but I meant to post it here...sorry, mods!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Thinking out loud here, but what would it take to flip Phillips to the Marlins in return for Hanley Ramirez? Could the Reds keep Ramirez around for three years (Let Cozart play 2B)? By then, Hamilton or one of the other young SS's might be ready.

Would you do Phillips and Chapman for Ramirez and a prospect?
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

In other words, the Reds owe Arroyo $12 million in 2012 and $11.5 Million in 2013. Kick the first $3 million from 2013 in now, in exchange the Reds pay $4.5 million in 2013 and $4 million in 2014. You could even stretch the extra payments out a little bit if you don't want a $4 million obligation to a former player to hit all at once. Taking into consideration the time value of money, this would benefit the player as much as the team.
    My hope on Arroyo is that he has a decent year and the Reds perhaps trade him at the deadline to avoid his future salary payments. By then, hopefully Chapman can replace him in the rotation.

Might be unlikely for Reds to change their rotation in the middle of a pennant race, but Arroyo might be better trade bait a few months into the season if he is doing pretty well.

Then they could use Arroyo's contract spot to re-sign Phillips or whatever.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Thinking out loud here, but what would it take to flip Phillips to the Marlins in return for Hanley Ramirez? Could the Reds keep Ramirez around for three years (Let Cozart play 2B)? By then, Hamilton or one of the other young SS's might be ready.

Would you do Phillips and Chapman for Ramirez and a prospect?
    I think the Reds would be better off extending Phillips for that period. Ramirez will "probably" hit more, but he'll still be a head-case and he can't touch Phillips with the leather. Not to mention the fact that Phillips will also be cheaper than Hanley. I'll pass on Hanley.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I think the Reds would be better off extending Phillips for that period. Ramirez will "probably" hit more, but he'll still be a head-case and he can't touch Phillips with the leather. Not to mention the fact that Phillips will also be cheaper than Hanley. I'll pass on Hanley.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

The more I think about it, the more I want the Reds to sign Phillips to an extension. He was a 6 win player last year and I don't believe any one in the farm is going to be able to step in if he were to leave. I wouldn't go crazy or anything. I would see if Phillips would do a 4 year deal. He may be in decline during that last year, but I think he's good for at least 3 more years after this upcoming season.

Turn Off Ads?