Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    FIP does not matter when it comes to a closer. The thing that matters is if they save the game or not. That is it. Its the most bottom line position in baseball, in my opinion. I never said that Coco was good. However he did give the Reds 37 saves last season. The whole point I'm trying to drive home is that by adding 4-5 extra saves, does that make the Reds a 90 win team in 2012? If Madson gives the Reds 42 saves in 2012, does that close the gap enough to be division winners?
    are you considering blown saves in your opinion? does that stat matter?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    are you considering blown saves in your opinion? does that stat matter?
    Yes, of course.

Give me Ludwick and I can take a two month nap till ST.

Doesn't anybody have to go to work tomorrow?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Hold your horses everyone, may not be true

Citing sources, CBSSports.com reported early Tuesday night that talks with Madson were in the serious stage, with one person saying they were heating up.

A source familiar with the situation downplayed the report to MLB.com, saying it was unlikely the Reds would get Madson unless his agent -- Scott Boras -- came well off the demand of a four-year, $44 million contract he had been reportedly been wanting. The source also noted that the club has contacted almost every player on the market at one time or another.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...ticle_26308146
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    One year deal.
    Sounds like the entire Reds' organization is on a one year deal

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

FIP does not matter when it comes to a closer. The thing that matters is if they save the game or not. That is it. Its the most bottom line position in baseball, in my opinion. I never said that Coco was good. However he did give the Reds 37 saves last season. The whole point I'm trying to drive home is that by adding 4-5 extra saves, does that make the Reds a 90 win team in 2012? If Madson gives the Reds 42 saves in 2012, does that close the gap enough to be division winners?
    Based on that theory (us having a 17 game gap to close), we could never catch the Cards.

Adding a great closer pushes every pitcher down one spot. Marshall becomes the 8th inning guy. Every spot becomes improved.

How did the Reds go from 90 or so wins in 2009 to last year with virtually the same team?

We could have possibly won 90 games next year without adding 3 extremely good pitchers.

We likley wouldn't have, but we could have. The Reds have made huge improvements this year.

And saves are the most overrated stat in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Hold your horses everyone, may not be true

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...ticle_26308146
    Buzzkill of the Year Award

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Cincinnati Forecast Bullpen
    Ryan Madson-- Closer
    Sean Marshall-- Set-up (LH)
    Jose Arredondo-- Set-up (RH)
    Nick Masset-- Middle relief
    Bill Bray-- LOOGY
    Sam LeCure-- Middle relief
    Logan Ondrusek-- Long man
    If Arredondo improves (control issues) and Masset is more consistent, this is going to be a Nasty Boys II bullpen. And those are not far fetches either.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Crasnick just confirmed it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You mean I won a Postee?!?!
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
    Ryan Madson has agreed to a one-year deal with #Reds, as @JonHeymanCBS reported.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    You mean I won a Postee?!?!

You make a good point. Madson probably won't be much better than Cordero was last year. Cordero, while frustrating, was very good as a the closer.

However, he probably will be much better than Cordero or any other closer option the Reds had in 2012. What I feared was bringing in a lesser closer and having that position downgraded from last year. Pretty much everyone else available besides Madson does that. He also moves everyone down a notch in the pen, making each role more productive.

You are right, he doesn't put the Reds over the top. Latos and Marshall and Madson combined do however.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Based on that theory (us having a 17 game gap to close), we could never catch the Cards.

Adding a great closer pushes every pitcher down one spot. Marshall becomes the 8th inning guy. Every spot becomes improved.

How did the Reds go from 90 or so wins in 2009 to last year with virtually the same team?

We could have possibly won 90 games next year without adding 3 extremely good pitchers.

We likley wouldn't have, but we could have. The Reds have made huge improvements this year.

And saves are the most overrated stat in baseball.

Didn't the Reds have almost a lights out bullpen last year? It would be one thing if we were talking about the horrible bullpen the Cards broke out with at the beginning of the 2011 season but even last year your bullpen was really good. Sure, adding Madson does improve the pen but by how much?

Turn Off Ads?