Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

I don't know why they keep on picking up arms when it was the offense that was the real problem last year

This staff is moving very close to above average.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm usually pessimistic about the chances of the Reds landing top free agents. But I had a good feeling about this one for a while. Great to hear it's official! So fired up about the 2012 season. Curious to hear the particulars of the contract.

I am really pleased with this signing. When free agency began he is the one that I wanted the Reds to target and I think the one that would fit in best with this team, not only with their style but also in the clubhouse and bullpen too. I am hoping that we didn't pay too much....but still, a great sign.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Madson is young so that is good but I just wonder if this is a lateral move? Not to put a damper on the trade but Codero gave the Reds 37 saves compared to 32 with Madson. Yet Codero just pitched 9 more innings than Madson. We can assume then that Codero had 9 more save opportunities. Even if Madson manages to get 9 more saves (none of them being blown saves in this scenario), does it put the Reds over the top? Don't get me wrong, it's a good move by the Reds but I think this is a reason why, as someone alluded to earlier, that it might not be a good idea to pay a lot of money for the closer position. Having that guy at the end of the bullpen is needed but it isn't something that will make a team an automatic favorite to win a division or put them over the top. Is improving by four wins (again assuming that all of those 9 extra save opportunities are not blown saves) going to put them over the top when the Reds were 17 games back last year?
    You're just looking at save totals? Try looking at more numbers. Madson absolutely blows Coco away.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    You're just looking at save totals? Try looking at more numbers. Madson absolutely blows Coco away.
    Yep, it's about who will be better in 2012, not who was more effective at ending games in 2011...

Jocketty and the Reds have now grabbed the best TOR starter dealt in the offseason, the best set-up arm dealt in the offseason, and the second-best closer on the market.

When was the last time the Reds were this active in an offseason?

To put it another way, a 79-win team with a Pythagorus of 83 wins just replaced:
    -- Volquez, Wood, Maloney, and Willis with Latos and Chapman
    -- Chapman and Willis with Marshall
    -- Cordero with Madson

If the ZiPS projections for the offense hold out (particularly for Mesoraco and Cozart), this team is a 90+ win team.

I guess I'm going to have to get used to that funky slingshot throwing motion of Madson's.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Jocketty and the Reds have now grabbed the best TOR starter dealt in the offseason, the best set-up arm dealt in the offseason, and the BEST closer on the market.
    IMO!

Have the Reds ever signed a Boras client? I can't think of one.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Have the Reds ever signed a Boras client? I can't think of one.
    They just signed Andrew Brackman like last week or whatever. He was nowhere near the first Boras client they've had.
    Edit: they've traded for a few Boras clients, but the only other player I can think of that they signed was Mark Pawelek.

Wow!

Walt, I take back ever saying you were sitting on your hands. You da man!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

With the pen the Reds have put together, how long before somebody tosses out the adjective "nasty" to describe them?

Whoops, I just did...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Madson is young so that is good but I just wonder if this is a lateral move? Not to put a damper on the trade but Codero gave the Reds 37 saves compared to 32 with Madson. Yet Codero just pitched 9 more innings than Madson. We can assume then that Codero had 9 more save opportunities. Even if Madson manages to get 9 more saves (none of them being blown saves in this scenario), does it put the Reds over the top? Don't get me wrong, it's a good move by the Reds but I think this is a reason why, as someone alluded to earlier, that it might not be a good idea to pay a lot of money for the closer position. Having that guy at the end of the bullpen is needed but it isn't something that will make a team an automatic favorite to win a division or put them over the top. Is improving by four wins (again assuming that all of those 9 extra save opportunities are not blown saves) going to put them over the top when the Reds were 17 games back last year?
    saves? You're better than that man.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk

Imagine if Chapman can be an effective starter.

Cueto
    Latos
    Chapman
    Leake
    Bailey

Madson
    Marshall
    Bray
    Ondrusek
    Masset
    LeCure
    Arredondo

And have fun!

EDIT: I forgot Arroyo, he has to be in there somewhere I guess lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    No question about it that Madson blows away Coco in every statistical category. However, when it comes to a closer, that is about as bottom line of a position as you are going to get in the majors. The only stat that truly matters is saves. With starting pitchers, the stats can be deceiving. Does he keep his team in games? Is his defense good or bad behind him? Starting pitching is kind of a grey area in that regard. With closers, a save is a save is a save. There is no grey area. Their sole purpose is to close out games. FIP, ERA, WHIP do not matter. Now we can get into the numbers and see that some closers are more effective than others (Madson is obviously a more effective closer). However, does adding Madson close the gap enough to push the Reds over the top? Is adding four extra saves to the Reds going to push them to a 90 win season? (I predict that 90 wins will be the standard to win the division this year).

I can't stress this enough. I like this move. It clearly makes the Reds better. I just feel the closer position can be overrated.

Turn Off Ads?