Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds To Sign Ryan Madson
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 10 at 9:56pm CST]
    The Reds have agreed to sign Ryan Madson, Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets. Scott Boras represents the right-hander, who figures to become the closer in Cincinnati's new-look bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds To Sign Ryan Madson
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 10 at 9:56pm CST]
    The Reds have agreed to sign Ryan Madson, Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets. Scott Boras represents the right-hander, who figures to become the closer in Cincinnati's new-look bullpen.
    Just beat me.

Now Coco is free to sign and bring us a sandwich pick! Can't go to bed now!

Wonder how many years?

Reds to sign madson!

Holy crap.

There really weren't a lot teams pursuing closers once Boston landed their closer. My question now is-how much and for how many years?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am not a fan of paying money for closers.... but since the Reds seem bent on doing so, I am glad they got someone like Madson rather than someone like Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not a fan of paying money for closers.... but since the Reds seem bent on doing so, I am glad they got someone like Madson rather than someone like Cordero.
    That's exactly how I feel about it.

Bronson Arroyo - 6'4"
    Homer Bailey - 6'3"
    Andrew Brackman - 6'10"
    Bill Bray - 6'3"
    Aroldis Chapman - 6'4"
    Mat Latos - 6'6"
    Ryan Madson - 6'6"
    Sean Marshall - 6'7"
    Nick Masset - 6'4"
    Logan Ondrusek - 6'8"

Probably won't see too many guys charging the mound against this pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Bronson Arroyo - 6'4"
    Homer Bailey - 6'3"
    Andrew Brackman - 6'10"
    Bill Bray - 6'3"
    Aroldis Chapman - 6'4"
    Mat Latos - 6'6"
    Ryan Madson - 6'6"
    Sean Marshall - 6'7"
    Nick Masset - 6'4"
    Logan Ondrusek - 6'8"

Probably won't see too many guys charging the mound against this pitching staff.
    Daniel Herrara's back on the market if we're looking to level those giants out.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

HELL YES! Get ready for big things this year my friends.

Madson is young so that is good but I just wonder if this is a lateral move? Not to put a damper on the trade but Codero gave the Reds 37 saves compared to 32 with Madson. Yet Codero just pitched 9 more innings than Madson. We can assume then that Codero had 9 more save opportunities. Even if Madson manages to get 9 more saves (none of them being blown saves in this scenario), does it put the Reds over the top? Don't get me wrong, it's a good move by the Reds but I think this is a reason why, as someone alluded to earlier, that it might not be a good idea to pay a lot of money for the closer position. Having that guy at the end of the bullpen is needed but it isn't something that will make a team an automatic favorite to win a division or put them over the top. Is improving by four wins (again assuming that all of those 9 extra save opportunities are not blown saves) going to put them over the top when the Reds were 17 games back last year?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Madson is young so that is good but I just wonder if this is a lateral move? Not to put a damper on the trade but Codero gave the Reds 37 saves compared to 32 with Madson. Yet Codero just pitched 9 more innings than Madson. We can assume then that Codero had 9 more save opportunities. Even if Madson manages to get 9 more saves (none of them being blown saves in this scenario), does it put the Reds over the top? Don't get me wrong, it's a good move by the Reds but I think this is a reason why, as someone alluded to earlier, that it might not be a good idea to pay a lot of money for the closer position. Having that guy at the end of the bullpen is needed but it isn't something that will make a team an automatic favorite to win a division or put them over the top. Is improving by four wins (again assuming that all of those 9 extra save opportunities are not blown saves) going to put them over the top when the Reds were 17 games back last year?
    You're just looking at save totals? Try looking at more numbers. Madson absolutely blows Coco away.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    You're just looking at save totals? Try looking at more numbers. Madson absolutely blows Coco away.
    Yep, it's about who will be better in 2012, not who was more effective at ending games in 2011...

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    No question about it that Madson blows away Coco in every statistical category. However, when it comes to a closer, that is about as bottom line of a position as you are going to get in the majors. The only stat that truly matters is saves. With starting pitchers, the stats can be deceiving. Does he keep his team in games? Is his defense good or bad behind him? Starting pitching is kind of a grey area in that regard. With closers, a save is a save is a save. There is no grey area. Their sole purpose is to close out games. FIP, ERA, WHIP do not matter. Now we can get into the numbers and see that some closers are more effective than others (Madson is obviously a more effective closer). However, does adding Madson close the gap enough to push the Reds over the top? Is adding four extra saves to the Reds going to push them to a 90 win season? (I predict that 90 wins will be the standard to win the division this year).

I can't stress this enough. I like this move. It clearly makes the Reds better. I just feel the closer position can be overrated.

Turn Off Ads?