Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Well it's going to be an interesting division this year. The Cards and Reds will be fighting it out all year long. Latos is the big key to the Reds this year, more than any acquisition they made in my opinion.
    I still make the Cards the favorite with Wainwright coming back. I think the key for the Cards though is Beltran. If he is healthy, I think the Cards have the upperhand as of right now. But the Reds just narrowed the gap some with Madson. If the Reds can find someone a bit more legitimate for LF, then I would put it at an even race.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Not sure, but Jocketty has a good history with Boras.
    To be fair, Boras has a good history with anyone that opens up the pocketbook. Him and the Yankees have a good history because the Yankees spend the money. Same with the Cards and Phillies.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    nahh... no hate. Just a discussion on the impact of the closer position.
    LOL I am just having some fun with you.You have been one cool dude on here BUT if you don't quit winning world series's then that might change.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I still make the Cards the favorite with Wainwright coming back. I think the key for the Cards though is Beltran. If he is healthy, I think the Cards have the upperhand as of right now. But the Reds just narrowed the gap some with Madson. If the Reds can find someone a bit more legitimate for LF, then I would put it at an even race.
    I can't fight someone saying the Cards are the favorites. I can read the history books.

But...

The Reds added Latos,Marshall,Madson

The Cards lost the best player in the game, gain an ace off of TJ surgery, and Beltran

A net gain for the Reds...but is it enough? I think so.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Somebody tell me something about this guy! I did'nt watch many Phillies games so I don't know much about him. Is he lights out in the ninth or does he scare you to death like Coco.
    He came into the game in a save situation 37 times last year, with 2 blown saves.

His BABIP was .315, so he was actually a bit unlucky.

Well, I got all four wisdom teeth removed today. Two impacted, one sideways, and one normal. It pretty much been one of the more painful days I've experienced in my 32 years on this earth. I woke up from what was probably my 7th nap today (Percocet) to hear this news. OMG THE PAIN IS GONE!!! SWEET LORD IT'S A MIRICAL!!!!
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

This is how you win a Championship! Walt pulling the trigger NOW!
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    He was essentially the set up man in Philly up until this last season. The coaches in Philly just said that he didn't have the 'closer mentality' to close out games. Yet he did fantastic in the set up role up until then. With spot chances to close out games where he was mediocre. That was until last season and Brad Lidge going down. When Madson was given his shot to take it over full time. He did and he shined. He only had a couple hickups during the season as most closers do and the rest of the time he was pretty daggon durable. Usually averaging about 1-2 K's per inning as well.

The stomach aches and sitting on the edge of your seat in constant worry and prayer that we would make it out of the game alive that Cordero made us endure night in and night out was not there from Madson last season.
    Thanks Bob for the info and it sounds like we got a good one that will make this bullpen even better than it was.Thank the good lord we won't have to be sitting on the edges of our seats in the ninth now.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think the biggest fear for me, as it pertains to the Cards chances this year, is not on the field but on the bench. How will they do with TLR, Duncan, Joe Pettini, and Dave McKay all either retired or with different teams? The Cards lost essential 50-60 years worth of coaching experience in the off season. Going into every game, the Cards always seemed to have a clear advantage at strategy over almost every team in baseball. Now that advantage is taken away. Walt is one of the few people in baseball that knows the impact of that coaching staff on the team and I feel one of the reasons for the Reds aggressive steps this off season is because he sees this window of opportunity. I think the coaching staff essentially being replaced is more of a detriment to the Cards than Pujols leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    He was essentially the set up man in Philly up until this last season. The coaches in Philly just said that he didn't have the 'closer mentality' to close out games. Yet he did fantastic in the set up role up until then. With spot chances to close out games where he was mediocre. That was until last season and Brad Lidge going down. When Madson was given his shot to take it over full time. He did and he shined. He only had a couple hickups during the season as most closers do and the rest of the time he was pretty daggon durable. Usually averaging about 1-2 K's per inning as well.

The stomach aches and sitting on the edge of your seat in constant worry and prayer that we would make it out of the game alive that Cordero made us endure night in and night out was not there from Madson last season.
    Pretty good analysis. Ryan Madson has been a cheap staple of my fantasy team for the last two years. He was just one of those guys waiting for his chance. Last year he grabbed the brass ring. The good thing with this deal is that he stays hungry for more money next year.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

As fans of the Cincinnati Reds, I don't think we've ever had an offseason like this.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I think this was all made possible by the Latos deal.

If the Reds went out and got Shields or Gio or Wandy or any of the other starting pitchers making millions in 2012, there is no way they can afford Madson.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Unlike others, I was hoping this deal with Madson was about a two year deal, with an option for a third year.
    Me too. And if it is really over ten million for the year, that's disappointing as well because it could cut down flexibility to get a LFer.

But these are issues to be addressed going forward. Right now, the Reds have seriously upgraded the pitching staff, which is the best thing they could have done for the ballclub.

The Operator, this is totally off topic so please forgive me everyone, but I love your avatar!!

Turn Off Ads?