Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

When you look at the juxtaposition of other NL Central teams, the way their offseasons have gone...Our pitching gets very very strong, their offense (Cards, Brewers, Cubs and Stros) gets very weakened. It's really exciting. Really really exciting. Think: Madson and Marshall. That's awesome against any lineup in baseball. Now picture late innings vs the Cards. Are we wondering when Pujols is coming up? No. Late innings vs the Brewers. Are we wondering when Fielder is coming up? Braun for part of the year, either? No. Houston: no Pence or Bourn. Maybe no Lee. Cubs: well, not sure why I'm listing them.

This is going to be an awesome year!!!!!!!!!!
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?

RT @dpware Is Madson a one year thing: he does well and is too expensive, or does not and is not resigned?//Told there's an option

https://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman/st...19689292644352
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    1 year, something like $8.5 million. Could earn upwards of $10 million if he hits incentives.
    Reds.com says 1 year at 10 million.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

ESPN says it is one year, $8.5 million.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Which is?
    I believe the point is that the production from last year to this year will not see a material increase.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Incentives involved in the contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I believe the point is that the production from last year to this year will not see a material increase.
    OK. Well my point is that doesn't matter, because Cordero's "success" isn't likely to be repeated at all. 2012 Madson gives the Reds a much bigger chance to win than 2011 Cordero or 2012 Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    ESPN says it is one year, $8.5 million.
    If the best contract that Madson could get is 8.5Mil for one year, then I wonder what type of contract Cordero will get. I bet Cordero wishes he took what Cincinnati was offering when it was on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Reds.com was last updated at like 12:30am, whereas the news that the contract was actually for 8.5m broke after that.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Wow, great news to find out today after working late night inventory at my seasonal job for the last two days (and desperately needing a nap this morning). Congrats Walt, Bob, and the Reds on waiting out the market and making a fantastic deal!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Which is?
    Basically, that closer wasn't a problem last year. Madson can't be that much better this year than Cordero was last year. Sure, the Reds are better today than they were yesterday (when they didn't have Madson or Cordero), but the difference between 2011 Cordero and 2012 Madson probably is going to be minimal. The difference between 2012 Cordero and 2012 Madson may be much greater, but that isn't what he's arguing.

So the argument, ultimately, is that this is a great acquisition that more or less preserves the Reds' position at the end of games. It doesn't provide an upgrade. Doesn't make it a bad acquisition -- it's fantastic, actually -- just doesn't do much to improve the team over last year. But maintaining areas of strength is just as important as improving areas of weakness. Walt has improved areas of weakness with the Latos and Marshall deals. Adding Madson makes sure those deals remain net positives (instead of offsetting a potential downgrade at the closer spot).

By the way, Cordero had a heck of a year last year -- a great bounce-back from 2010. I feel like that's getting minimized or dismissed as lucky, which is unfair to Cordero. It's clear as he ages that his stuff isn't what it once was, but he got the job done -- and it's not as if he was loading the bases with baserunners and wriggling off the hook. He was pretty clean last year. He didn't strike out many, but he didn't allow a lot of runners.

Regardless, I'm happy with the Madson signing and all the moves Walt has made this season. This is the Walt Jocketty I was expecting all along. Leads me to believe he was being held back a bit by ownership. Last year was a wakeup call.

Jim Callis on Twitter: "To all those questioning Madson comp picks, I confirmed w/MLB that #Phillies get a sandwich pick and a pick before #Reds 2nd-rder. #mlbdraft"

Rejoice!!

So the Reds still have pick #14, gain a sandwich pick (from losing Cordero), and get Madson for a year without committing to a long term deal? The news keeps getting better and better!

Who would have ever dreamed that the Reds would sign an All-Star FA away from the Phillies?!
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Basically, that closer wasn't a problem last year. Madson can't be that much better this year than Cordero was last year. Sure, the Reds are better today than they were yesterday (when they didn't have Madson or Cordero), but the difference between 2011 Cordero and 2012 Madson probably is going to be minimal. The difference between 2012 Cordero and 2012 Madson may be much greater, but that isn't what he's arguing.

So the argument, ultimately, is that this is a great acquisition that more or less preserves the Reds' position at the end of games. It doesn't provide an upgrade. Doesn't make it a bad acquisition -- it's fantastic, actually -- just doesn't do much to improve the team over last year. But maintaining areas of strength is just as important as improving areas of weakness. Walt has improved areas of weakness with the Latos and Marshall deals. Adding Madson makes sure those deals remain net positives (instead of offsetting a potential downgrade at the closer spot).

By the way, Cordero had a heck of a year last year -- a great bounce-back from 2010. I feel like that's getting minimized or dismissed as lucky, which is unfair to Cordero. It's clear as he ages that his stuff isn't what it once was, but he got the job done -- and it's not as if he was loading the bases with baserunners and wriggling off the hook. He was pretty clean last year. He didn't strike out many, but he didn't allow a lot of runners.

Regardless, I'm happy with the Madson signing and all the moves Walt has made this season. This is the Walt Jocketty I was expecting all along. Leads me to believe he was being held back a bit by ownership. Last year was a wakeup call.
    I think I see what you're getting at. However, Cordero posted a 0.1 WAR last year. I think there is plenty of room for improvement there, and Madson is going to give us that.

My take is that this is a huge move by the Reds. Will this move alone guarantee the Reds the division? Well, of course it won't. The Reds did have a good closer in 2011, but not as good as Madson obviously. Adding Latos, Marshall, and Madson do make the Reds a lot better.

Prior to last season, I didn't understand why everyone in the National media seemed to think the Reds were favored to win the division. A lot of media types also picked the Brewers which made sense since they adding two good pitchers. The reason given was that the Reds had "pitching depth". I don't know what that is supposed to mean though. Sure, the Reds had a lot of young pitchers with potential, but not very many that could be considered TOR. Perhaps there is a confusion between "pitching depth" and actually having a depth of very good to great pitchers. I'd much rather have a couple of TOR types than a couple of handfuls of guys that make you cringe every time you see them take the mound. Latos is one of those TOR types that you need to have if you want any chance at having a great year.

The Reds haven't guaranteed anything by making these movies, because there are no guarantees in baseball. Ask the Phillies what guarantees they had in 2011. However, what the Reds did this off season, is make things interesting. As for the Reds competition, well the Cardinals have improved their team for 2012 IMHO. I just don't see what the Brewers have done to improve their team for 2012 though. Perhaps their window of opportunity has been slammed shut by Jocketty.

I think I see what you're getting at. However, Cordero posted a 0.1 WAR last year. I think there is plenty of room for improvement there, and Madson is going to give us that.
    WAR isn't really applicable here. Cordero saved 37 of 42 games last year...not much room for improvement there at all.

Turn Off Ads?