Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Beautiful. Reds not messing around. I don't know if it's quite "or bust," but 2012 is clearly the clarion call. Time for players -- and fans -- to step up. Front office has done its job.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I bet you the money they saved in the Latos trade helped get this done. Walt knows what he's doing.
    Yep. The other thing that helped get this offseason off the ground, ironically, was the lack of activity previously. Walt's plan, it appears, has been to make moves on his terms and let the market come to him. If he went all in to get Cliff Lee a couple of years ago, what would this offseason look like? Just a hypothetical example.

Nice work Cincy FO. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Beautiful. Reds not messing around. I don't know if it's quite "or bust," but 2012 is clearly the clarion call. Time for players -- and fans -- to step up. Front office has done its job.
    I really don't see it as an "or bust" situation. The names they got with a 2012 commitment only didnt cost much in terms of hurting them beyond next year. Latos is the one where WJ gave up some future and he's here for a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Yep. The other thing that helped get this offseason off the ground, ironically, was the lack of activity previously. Walt's plan, it appears, has been to make moves on his terms and let the market come to him. If he went all in to get Cliff Lee a couple of years ago, what would this offseason look like? Just a hypothetical example.

Nice work Cincy FO. Good stuff.
    I think this is what I was trying to get at in the new "grade the front office" thread - last off-season, we didn't have as clear a picture what some of these chips could be. They enhanced their value in 2011 - and we learned about some who we've kept (e.g. Mez, Cozart).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    He better.
    I wonder about Chapman.

Let's assume Reds don't want him at AAA, he is just too valuable and expensive.

Let's assume Reds decide to stretch him out pitching longer relief for the big club.

Bullpen could be Chappy, Lecure, Ondrusek, Bray, Masset, Arredondo, Marshall, Madson.

That's eight guys for a seven man bullpen.

Could someone like Masset be dealt with a prospect for a position player?

Do Madson and Marshall provide the depth to facilitate a trade from bullpen depth?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I am a happy happy man. Wow, this is great news. Love it.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I wonder about Chapman.

Let's assume Reds don't want him at AAA, he is just too valuable and expensive.

Let's assume Reds decide to stretch him out pitching longer relief for the big club.

Bullpen could be Chappy, Lecure, Ondrusek, Bray, Masset, Arredondo, Marshall, Madson.

That's eight guys for a seven man bullpen.

Could someone like Masset be dealt with a prospect for a position player?

Do Madson and Marshall provide the depth to facilitate a trade from bullpen depth?

Ondrusek would be odd man out, he's basically replacement level (-0.1 for his career).

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'M A BELIEVER NOW!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!

I take back everything bad I ever said about Jocketty.

And Bob C. has made me a believer that he is in it to win it!!!!!

I'm shocked, blown away, and ecstatic all at the same time.

Gotta start looking at buying some tickets now. Wow. Just simply wow.

Best offseason in a long while. I wonder if they're done or have more sneaky moves up their sleeves?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Ondrusek would be odd man out, he's basically replacement level (-0.1 for his career).
    Masset, I believe, is arbitration eligible and probably would get over $2 million. If Reds are now looking to shed some salary, I see Nick as the likely one to be moved.

You can't say the Reds aren't trying this off season. I was a bit surprised by this. I really didn't think they would sign Madson and would only sign Cordero if he were really cheap and no one else wanted him. This really solidifies the bullpen. On paper it has to be one of the best in baseball. Now if they can get a good righty bat for LF and maybe a utility infielder they may just be set for 2012.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Walt is the MAN!!!!
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    FIP does not matter when it comes to a closer. The thing that matters is if they save the game or not. That is it. Its the most bottom line position in baseball, in my opinion. I never said that Coco was good. However he did give the Reds 37 saves last season. The whole point I'm trying to drive home is that by adding 4-5 extra saves, does that make the Reds a 90 win team in 2012? If Madson gives the Reds 42 saves in 2012, does that close the gap enough to be division winners?
    I get your point. The thing is.. Cordero is gone. A bullpen arm had to be added. If the choice is adding Cordero or Madson, I spend the extra money on Madson every time. Especially on a one year commitment.
    And yes, I am going to say signing Madson instead of Cordero this year may potentially be a 4-5 game swing based on the fact that if Cordero struggled, Dusty would continue to run him out there.

Our bullpen is awesome now.

The radio said Madson got 8.5 milllion (I think).. That's a bargain for one year of him. He will make that much of an impact. I can live with Heisey and a retread in LF now.

Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2012!
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If you're going to spend big money on a closer, at least sign one of the most effect guys in the league. And on a 1 year deal? Awesome.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

This is awesome! 2012 World Series, here we come.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm new to fangraphs, so help me out. In reading his pitch breakdown, he's pretty much a fastball/changeup guy who occasionally throws a slider? Correct or not correct? And it looks like his changeup is a pretty good one. Also says his average fastball is 94 mph.

Again, I'm new to fangraphs, so tell me if I'm reading it right or wrong. Thanks.

Turn Off Ads?