Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Nice work.

I've been a pretty harsh critic of this GM and this Owner but I must say that I'm quite enthused for Reds baseball next season and will definitely be going to some games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I am so glad you brought up that crucial point. I hear Reds fans say things like "There's no room for Chapman in the rotation ... we already have Latos, Cueto, Leake, Bailey and Arroyo."

Well, how often do the 5 men that begin the season in the starting rotation make it all the way through without an injury (or poor performance which causes a demotion)? Hardly ever. So, undoubtedly Chapman will be needed. Or if he's not up to par, another person that can step into the rotation like LeCure, or the FA-on-the-cheap that many are speculating (minor league deal with invite to ST).
    Now that there's no longer a glaring need at the back of the bullpen, hopefully Chapman's locked in as a starter for the time being. He can get his work in at Louisville without the fans making a huge fuss and hopefully make his way back up here at some point. Latos, Chapman, Cueto...I'm still dreaming on it.

Contract sounds even better than reported according to Reds.com:

A source told MLB.com on Wednesday that Madson will get a one-year guaranteed contract that pays him $6 million in 2012 with an $11 million option for 2013 that carries a $2.5 million buyout. Some of the money will be spread out over four years.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

i figured that the $8.5M would be plus a $1.5M buyout taking it ip to $10M for one year, but it's $6M plus the $2.5M buyout? Out-frickin'-standning!. I see why they called this the deal of the winter - it is. If is $6M this year and $11M next year with some of that spreadout, I'd say we have our closer for the next two years unless Madson can opt out at the end of the year (which I'm figuring he can).

I wish to get in the line to say that Mr Jocketty very well done. 6 mil for one of the best closers in the market with a "good" option?!?!?

A from me.

Latos deal= Excellent
    Marshall deal= I can deal with it.
    Madson contract= Excellent with a side order of AWESOME!

Very well done Mr Jocketty!
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

If the Reds are only paying Madson $6M, then there's probably enough for Theriot and Ludwick or Ross.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I might have over looked it, but I don't think this has been posted yet. Pretty interesting read about Madson's changeup.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-deadly-weapon

What’s the best "neutralizer pitch" in baseball?

What we’re asking is which pitch best shuts down hitters who bat from the side opposite of how the pitcher throws.

You might think, as a colleague suggested, that the standard-setter for right-handers is Mariano Rivera’s cutter.

But because Rivera throws the pitch almost all the time, it doesn’t quite have the value of the one that was the statistical champ for righties in 2011 -- Ryan Madson's changeup
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Since this is a mutual option, if the Reds choose to pick up the $11M option, but Madson opts out, do the Reds still have to pay the $2.5 M buyout?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Since this is a mutual option, if the Reds choose to pick up the $11M option, but Madson opts out, do the Reds still have to pay the $2.5 M buyout?
    Probably depends on the wording of the contract; I would assume that the Reds do not want it written that way.

By the way, this is a great deal for the Reds -- even if they use the option in 2013 (assuming he performs well in 2012 and so do the Reds), it's still a good deal.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

1) Is it a mutual option for sure?

2) Can someone explain the point of a mutual option, other than taking care of the leg work of a contract upfront?

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I might have over looked it, but I don't think this has been posted yet. Pretty interesting read about Madson's changeup.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-deadly-weapon

The changeup is my favorite pitch. I really didn't know that much about Madson's arsenal until now, but finding out that he throws a dead fish/Bugs Bunny changeup makes me even happier.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Yea, the changeup is deadly because of the optical illusion effect. In the ongoing cat and mouse game, the pitchers who have this pitch as a plus have a distinct competitive advantage. You also see more and more young guys coming up with the fastball/changeup combo.

The fastball/changeup is probably the one combo where a starter can be effective with only two plus pitches.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm trying to recall, did Soto have anything besides fastball/changeup? I seem to remember him throwing a curve.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

I'm trying to recall, did Soto have anything besides fastball/changeup? I seem to remember him throwing a curve.
    If he threw a curve, it was rarely. Fastball-changeup was all he needed.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

This pen will render most left handed batters completely useless. It's going to be fun to watch.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?