Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

I think the incentives included will be key in the contract. I think another team could have offered 6 million, but the incentives included might bring it up to 8-9 million.6 million guaranteed, but we still have no idea on the incentives.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Masdon had no takers at anytihng close to $12M this season. Marshall couldn't have gotten $12M this season.

No one currently would want to pay Phillips $12M next year. If the Reds did. he'd be signed to an extension already.

But if what you say is correct, why would it takes "guts" to do it?
    Next year will be the potential last hurrah with Votto so I'd go all in one last time and be ok with all of them on 12 million dollar deals for 1 season. Well maybe not Marshall tough call this early, depends on how his & the season in general goes.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    That helps answer the questions about what draft compensation starts in 2012 for the 2013 draft.
    Thanks. I'd forgotten that Madson is one of the special cases from the last CBA deal where the Reds could sign him without losing a pick.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Next year will be the potential last hurrah with Votto so I'd go all in one last time and be ok with all of them on 12 million dollar deals for 1 season. Well maybe not Marshall tough call this early, depends on how his & the season in general goes.

Assuming the Reds plan to have a budget, you've just spent a huge amount on those 3 plus Votto.

I'm OK with the Reds spending anytihng it takes to win, I doubt they are.

Assuming the Reds plan to have a budget, you've just spent a huge amount on those 3 plus Votto.

I'm OK with the Reds spending anytihng it takes to win, I doubt they are.
    I think they will be but I really doubt BP would be back on any 1 year deal, he will have suitors unless he has an awful year. The closer market next season is weak sans Madson I doubt he will have a tough time getting a deal then. But it is a risk because of what you just stated and the fact there is always a chance something odd could happen.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-12-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Masdon had no takers at anytihng close to $12M this season. Marshall couldn't have gotten $12M this season.

No one currently would want to pay Phillips $12M next year. If the Reds did. he'd be signed to an extension already.

But if what you say is correct, why would it takes "guts" to do it?
    If they continue to perform at their current levels, I'd absolutely pay Phillips $12MM for one more year and probably the same for Madson. BP wants a LTC and was unhappy when the Reds picked up this year's one year $12MM option (without an extension). It is quite unlikely he would settle for that again. That said, my first choice would be to extend him for something like 3 years, $27MM. If he wants much more than that, I'd give him the one year qualifying offer.

Madson's mutual option for next year is $11MM. If he opts out, presumably he will be unlikely to accept a one-year $12MM deal as he will be seeking a LTC, therefore there is considerably less risk.

Marshall is much more iffy. A lot of it depends on how he performs this year, what Madson decides to do, and what the rest of the Reds budget looks like. In addition, you could have guys like Brackman, Judy, and/or Joseph come to the forefront, so you may not need him after this year as much. Still though, it's worth considering- depending on a lot of other variables.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm confused.It seems Madsen's contract was designed for a bargain this year,but at least league top 120 next.Is this giving the Reds a guaranteed compensation and opt out rights?Still giving Madsen the priviledge to go for a long term contract next year?

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I'm confused.It seems Madsen's contract was designed for a bargain this year,but at least league top 120 next.Is this giving the Reds a guaranteed compensation and opt out rights?Still giving Madsen the priviledge to go for a long term contract next year?
    As a mutual option, either side can walk away from it. Truth be told, the 2013 option is probably a piece of creative writing, in that Madson will opt out if he has a great year and the Reds will opt out if he doesn't. It just lets the Reds push some of the guaranteed money to a later date in the form of the buyout, while Madson gets to go into a much better market next winter with the $11 million he just declined as the baseline for negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    So with Marshall, Bray and Madson, will a lefty ever get a hit against us in the 8th or 9th?

Who's getting the righties out?
    Same guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    So with Marshall, Bray and Madson, will a lefty ever get a hit against us in the 8th or 9th?

Who's getting the righties out?
    Madson is a RH pitcher.

Madson is a RH pitcher.
    Yeah, but he's among the best RHers at getting LHs out thanks to that change. Honestly, I was being somewhat facetious. This is going to be a very good pen.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm in the minority on a few things:

1. I guess I'm one of the few who has faith in Francisco. I think he has a lot of upside and will be fine at 3B when Rolen is done after 2012 or if he goes down with injury during 2012. I'm not worried about 3B at all. And my gut feeling is that Rolen is going to pull a Berkman.......and here's why I think that. I think Scott knows this could be his last season and wants to finish on a high note. I see him coming into the season in the best shape he's been in for a long time. Just my gut feeling.

2. All this worrying about depth at starting pitcher. How many do you need? I keep hearing 7. Well we have Latos, Cueto, Leake, Bailey, Arroyo, Chapman and, wait for it, wait for it..........LECURE. Geez. Quit worrying about it. And someone else will step forward at Louisville as a viable option. They always do.

3. Of the remaining LF options, I prefer Fukudome.

4. Another gripe of mine. I was listening to Mo Eggar's show today and so many people call in and complain about all the prospects the Reds traded for Latos and Marshall, and act like it's the end of the world and the Reds will never have a good team after going for it all in 2012. Ridiculous. Here's the list of guys who have been on the 25 man roster in 2010 and 2011 that were drafted by the Reds - Hanigan, Mesoraco, Votto, Alonso, Cozart, Janish, Francisco, Heisey, Stubbs, Bruce, Sappelt, Cueto, Leake, Bailey, Wood, Ondrusek, Lecure, and I'm sure some I'm forgetting. It's like people think the farm system is going to dry up and disappear or something. If you read the minor league forum, the so-called experts said last year's Dayton team was the most talented Dayton team ever. There is plenty of talent in the farm system. And most of it won't be needed until 2013 or 2014. Have some faith. I get so sick and tired of hearing that nonsense on the radio.
    After reading the Dmitri Young article. I'd like the Reds to sign him to a minor league deal and see if he still has it.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    As a mutual option, either side can walk away from it. Truth be told, the 2013 option is probably a piece of creative writing, in that Madson will opt out if he has a great year and the Reds will opt out if he doesn't. It just lets the Reds push some of the guaranteed money to a later date in the form of the buyout, while Madson gets to go into a much better market next winter with the $11 million he just declined as the baseline for negotiations.
    I guess my original question was really this ;if Madson walks from the 11 mill for an extended contract do we get comp picks?
    Last edited by wlf WV; 01-13-2012 at 11:36 AM.

I guess my original question was really this ;if Madson walks from the 11 mill for an extended contract do we get comp picks?
    My guess is that we wouldn't, as we'd have to do the new qualifying-offer thing to get compensation and that may not be available when the player declines the option, but I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of the new rules.

I think we should because even if he walks from the option we will have plenty of time to tender him a qualifying offer for '13 in which case we would get picks when he chooses a LTC with someone else.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?