Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    My guess is that we wouldn't, as we'd have to do the new qualifying-offer thing to get compensation and that may not be available when the player declines the option, but I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of the new rules.
    I don't know why it wouldn't be available. But I get what you are saying maybe there is something there to keep from hurting the FA's market (for example). But I haven't seen such a thing.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just FYI I read on Jayson Starks Jan. 13th rumbling and grumblings that the Reds were actually offering Coco 7 million. Thank goodness Madson came down on his demands for teams. Stark also stated teams were shocked by the Reds signing Madson because all teams had heard from them all offseason was they "we don't have any money".

And BTW he also states we will get 2 picks for Madson next year (and of course 1 for Coco this year which we wouldn't have gotten for Coco next offseason) so obviously for 1.5 million more we got alot not to mention a better pitcher.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-14-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Just FYI I read on Jayson Starks Jan. 13th rumbling and grumblings that the Reds were actually offering Coco 7 million. Thank goodness Madson came down on his demands for teams. Stark also stated teams were shocked by the Reds signing Madson because all teams had heard from them all offseason was they "we don't have any money".

And BTW he also states we will get 2 picks for Madson next year (and of course 1 for Coco this year which we wouldn't have gotten for Coco next offseason) so obviously for 1.5 million more we got alot not to mention a better pitcher.
    What? You mean the Reds bluffed? How dare they!
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

It's all academic-Madson is showing up on Cot's on a 1 year deal-1 year, 8.5 million, no option or incentives. I imagine they were discussed, but nothing was agreed to.

Am I missing something here?

All I have heard officially is that the Reds ARE GOING to sign Madson...I have not seen anything at all that he is actually signed...anybody else?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Am I missing something here?

All I have heard officially is that the Reds ARE GOING to sign Madson...I have not seen anything at all that he is actually signed...anybody else?
    CINCINNATI -- A formalized contract between the Reds and prospective new closer Ryan Madson might take several days to complete.

A source told MLB.com on Wednesday that Madson will get a one-year guaranteed contract that pays him $6 million in 2012 with an $11 million option for 2013 that carries a $2.5 million buyout. Some of the money will be spread out over four years.

One of the issues holding up a deal being formalized is that Madson is on vacation and has yet to be scheduled for a physical. Reds general manager Walt Jocketty is currently attending the owners meetings in Phoenix and could not be reached for comment.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    CINCINNATI -- A formalized contract between the Reds and prospective new closer Ryan Madson might take several days to complete.

A source told MLB.com on Wednesday that Madson will get a one-year guaranteed contract that pays him $6 million in 2012 with an $11 million option for 2013 that carries a $2.5 million buyout. Some of the money will be spread out over four years.

One of the issues holding up a deal being formalized is that Madson is on vacation and has yet to be scheduled for a physical. Reds general manager Walt Jocketty is currently attending the owners meetings in Phoenix and could not be reached for comment.
    Not too far off. This type of structure is perfect for the Reds. They just couldn't have afforded a long term deal.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=71

The actual numbers are even lower than I proposed. Great job by Walt here IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    But advanced metrics and a better understanding of the cost:benefit ratio have convinced teams otherwise. Closers fall off figurative trees
    Thanks for posting that; very good read.
    sorry we're boring

Deferred money for a baseball team is no better than deferred money in real life. I love getting Madson, but I really don't like having multiple players [Griffey?, Arroyo, Madson who else?] getting this kind of deferred money.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Deferred money for a baseball team is no better than deferred money in real life. I love getting Madson, but I really don't like having multiple players [Griffey?, Arroyo, Madson who else?] getting this kind of deferred money.
    What's really interesting about the Griffey contract is that the Reds have to pay him $16.5M in 2024. Other than that, they owe him $2-3M every year until then.

Arroyo is owed $1.5M every year through 2021.

Part of Rolen's 2010 salary was deferred, and they're making the last payment on that this year (~$1.7M).

Aroldis Chapman gets yearly bonuses that are paid out of the scouting and player development budget as opposed to the player payroll budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    The Griffey deferred money shouldn't have any impact on current finances. Castellini is a good enough businessman to make it most likely that the liability was a part of the settlement in determining purchase price. If he didn't make sure it was fully funded by the predecessors, then shame on him. I'd be surprised. Rolen and Arroyo are much smaller impact deferrals.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

This is still somewhat surreal to me. How often do the Reds get the best bargain of the offseason? Not "one of the best" ... but THE best. I love it. Hell, I thought the Marlins got a decent bargain with Heath Bell for 3-years at $27 million. But nothing tops $6 million to Madson ($8.5M guaranteed) for only one year. Can't beat that. Major props to Walt.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What's really interesting about the Griffey contract is that the Reds have to pay him $16.5M in 2024. Other than that, they owe him $2-3M every year until then.

Arroyo is owed $1.5M every year through 2021.

Part of Rolen's 2010 salary was deferred, and they're making the last payment on that this year (~$1.7M).

Aroldis Chapman gets yearly bonuses that are paid out of the scouting and player development budget as opposed to the player payroll budget.
    Uuuuuuhhhhggg. Ken Griffey Jr: The Gift that keeps on giving. What an absolute disaster.

The great thing about deferments is, if you're intelligent with your money, you can pay off a player's deferment with a fraction of the money simply through bonds, stocks, and other investments.

The bad thing about deferments is that it takes someone who is both intelligent with his money and someone who is disciplined enough to make the investments at the time of the contract and leave them alone for the duration of the deal.

Turn Off Ads?