Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 396

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

  1. #301
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    My guess is that we wouldn't, as we'd have to do the new qualifying-offer thing to get compensation and that may not be available when the player declines the option, but I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of the new rules.
    I don't know why it wouldn't be available. But I get what you are saying maybe there is something there to keep from hurting the FA's market (for example). But I haven't seen such a thing.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #302
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Just FYI I read on Jayson Starks Jan. 13th rumbling and grumblings that the Reds were actually offering Coco 7 million. Thank goodness Madson came down on his demands for teams. Stark also stated teams were shocked by the Reds signing Madson because all teams had heard from them all offseason was they "we don't have any money".


    And BTW he also states we will get 2 picks for Madson next year (and of course 1 for Coco this year which we wouldn't have gotten for Coco next offseason) so obviously for 1.5 million more we got alot not to mention a better pitcher.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-14-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  4. #303
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Just FYI I read on Jayson Starks Jan. 13th rumbling and grumblings that the Reds were actually offering Coco 7 million. Thank goodness Madson came down on his demands for teams. Stark also stated teams were shocked by the Reds signing Madson because all teams had heard from them all offseason was they "we don't have any money".


    And BTW he also states we will get 2 picks for Madson next year (and of course 1 for Coco this year which we wouldn't have gotten for Coco next offseason) so obviously for 1.5 million more we got alot not to mention a better pitcher.
    What? You mean the Reds bluffed? How dare they!
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  5. #304
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,370

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    It's all academic-Madson is showing up on Cot's on a 1 year deal-1 year, 8.5 million, no option or incentives. I imagine they were discussed, but nothing was agreed to.

  6. #305
    You're soaking in it! MartyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Am I missing something here?

    All I have heard officially is that the Reds ARE GOING to sign Madson...I have not seen anything at all that he is actually signed...anybody else?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

  7. #306
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,603

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Am I missing something here?

    All I have heard officially is that the Reds ARE GOING to sign Madson...I have not seen anything at all that he is actually signed...anybody else?
    CINCINNATI -- A formalized contract between the Reds and prospective new closer Ryan Madson might take several days to complete.

    A source told MLB.com on Wednesday that Madson will get a one-year guaranteed contract that pays him $6 million in 2012 with an $11 million option for 2013 that carries a $2.5 million buyout. Some of the money will be spread out over four years.

    One of the issues holding up a deal being formalized is that Madson is on vacation and has yet to be scheduled for a physical. Reds general manager Walt Jocketty is currently attending the owners meetings in Phoenix and could not be reached for comment.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  8. #307
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson


  9. #308
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,866

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    CINCINNATI -- A formalized contract between the Reds and prospective new closer Ryan Madson might take several days to complete.

    A source told MLB.com on Wednesday that Madson will get a one-year guaranteed contract that pays him $6 million in 2012 with an $11 million option for 2013 that carries a $2.5 million buyout. Some of the money will be spread out over four years.

    One of the issues holding up a deal being formalized is that Madson is on vacation and has yet to be scheduled for a physical. Reds general manager Walt Jocketty is currently attending the owners meetings in Phoenix and could not be reached for comment.
    Not too far off. This type of structure is perfect for the Reds. They just couldn't have afforded a long term deal.

    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=71

    The actual numbers are even lower than I proposed. Great job by Walt here IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  10. #309
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,073

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    But advanced metrics and a better understanding of the cost:benefit ratio have convinced teams otherwise. Closers fall off figurative trees
    Thanks for posting that; very good read.

  11. #310
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,375

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Deferred money for a baseball team is no better than deferred money in real life. I love getting Madson, but I really don't like having multiple players [Griffey?, Arroyo, Madson who else?] getting this kind of deferred money.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  12. #311
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,449

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Deferred money for a baseball team is no better than deferred money in real life. I love getting Madson, but I really don't like having multiple players [Griffey?, Arroyo, Madson who else?] getting this kind of deferred money.
    What's really interesting about the Griffey contract is that the Reds have to pay him $16.5M in 2024. Other than that, they owe him $2-3M every year until then.

    Arroyo is owed $1.5M every year through 2021.

    Part of Rolen's 2010 salary was deferred, and they're making the last payment on that this year (~$1.7M).

    Aroldis Chapman gets yearly bonuses that are paid out of the scouting and player development budget as opposed to the player payroll budget.

  13. #312
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Deferred money for a baseball team is no better than deferred money in real life. I love getting Madson, but I really don't like having multiple players [Griffey?, Arroyo, Madson who else?] getting this kind of deferred money.
    The Griffey deferred money shouldn't have any impact on current finances. Castellini is a good enough businessman to make it most likely that the liability was a part of the settlement in determining purchase price. If he didn't make sure it was fully funded by the predecessors, then shame on him. I'd be surprised. Rolen and Arroyo are much smaller impact deferrals.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  14. #313
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    This is still somewhat surreal to me. How often do the Reds get the best bargain of the offseason? Not "one of the best" ... but THE best. I love it. Hell, I thought the Marlins got a decent bargain with Heath Bell for 3-years at $27 million. But nothing tops $6 million to Madson ($8.5M guaranteed) for only one year. Can't beat that. Major props to Walt.

  15. #314
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What's really interesting about the Griffey contract is that the Reds have to pay him $16.5M in 2024. Other than that, they owe him $2-3M every year until then.

    Arroyo is owed $1.5M every year through 2021.

    Part of Rolen's 2010 salary was deferred, and they're making the last payment on that this year (~$1.7M).

    Aroldis Chapman gets yearly bonuses that are paid out of the scouting and player development budget as opposed to the player payroll budget.
    Uuuuuuhhhhggg. Ken Griffey Jr: The Gift that keeps on giving. What an absolute disaster.

  16. #315
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

    The great thing about deferments is, if you're intelligent with your money, you can pay off a player's deferment with a fraction of the money simply through bonds, stocks, and other investments.

    The bad thing about deferments is that it takes someone who is both intelligent with his money and someone who is disciplined enough to make the investments at the time of the contract and leave them alone for the duration of the deal.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25