Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds To Sign Ryan Madson
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 10 at 9:56pm CST]
    The Reds have agreed to sign Ryan Madson, Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets. Scott Boras represents the right-hander, who figures to become the closer in Cincinnati's new-look bullpen.

Reds to sign madson!

Holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

Reds To Sign Ryan Madson
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 10 at 9:56pm CST]
    The Reds have agreed to sign Ryan Madson, Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets. Scott Boras represents the right-hander, who figures to become the closer in Cincinnati's new-look bullpen.
    Just beat me.

Now Coco is free to sign and bring us a sandwich pick! Can't go to bed now!

Wonder how many years?

There really weren't a lot teams pursuing closers once Boston landed their closer. My question now is-how much and for how many years?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am not a fan of paying money for closers.... but since the Reds seem bent on doing so, I am glad they got someone like Madson rather than someone like Cordero.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

HELL YES! Get ready for big things this year my friends.

The Reds don't have to surrender a draft pick to sign Madson, but the Phillies will obtain two picks this June for losing him after offering arbitration. One selection will come before the Reds' first round pick and the other will come in the supplementary draft.

Freaking unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

The Reds don't have to surrender a draft pick to sign Madson, but the Phillies will obtain two picks this June for losing him after offering arbitration. One selection will come before the Reds' first round pick and the other will come in the supplementary draft.
    So the Reds do kinda lose a pick, in that they move down a slot in the first round.

Still, not too concerned with that at this moment. lol
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I'll wait to see what the terms are, but at least Walt targeted the right closer if we're going to buy one, which is great. I just hope we didn't pay through the nose.

I'm still a little concerned about LF and I'm becoming increasingly concerned about our long term plans for 2B and 3B (and I guess 1B too). But maybe 2012 is the year?? Walt sure is going for it appears.

Terrific. I'm really pleased with the improvements to the pitching staff this offseason. Best offseason since when?

Sign Ludwick to help in the outfield and I'm happy given what was possible on the free agent market.

Madson is young so that is good but I just wonder if this is a lateral move? Not to put a damper on the trade but Codero gave the Reds 37 saves compared to 32 with Madson. Yet Codero just pitched 9 more innings than Madson. We can assume then that Codero had 9 more save opportunities. Even if Madson manages to get 9 more saves (none of them being blown saves in this scenario), does it put the Reds over the top? Don't get me wrong, it's a good move by the Reds but I think this is a reason why, as someone alluded to earlier, that it might not be a good idea to pay a lot of money for the closer position. Having that guy at the end of the bullpen is needed but it isn't something that will make a team an automatic favorite to win a division or put them over the top. Is improving by four wins (again assuming that all of those 9 extra save opportunities are not blown saves) going to put them over the top when the Reds were 17 games back last year?

Zippity doo dah
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?