Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds Sign Ryan Madson

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Worst case scenario, if the Reds are out of the race in July (I can't even see how that would be possible right now, but bear with me) look at the pieces they could move for prospects for the future:

Marshall
    Madson
    Phillips
    Maybe Votto....
    And there's a decent chance Madson would qualify for draft picks if he signs elsewhere after next season. I think the Reds would be glad to offer him a one year $12M, knowing that he won't settle for a one year contract two years in a row.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

So is it official 10 mil for 1 year of Madson? I'll take it considering who the manager is and how he wants everyone to have their "roles" defined.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Ok, Walt, good job. Enough of this Madson talk, what's holding up LF?

I bet you the money they saved in the Latos trade helped get this done. Walt knows what he's doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2012/...red-after-all/

**UPDATE: According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the deal is worth in excess of $10 million. So, wow. That’s a big jump from the Reds have seemingly indicated they had to spend. Of course, it says even more than the Latos/Marshall trades how bad they want to win the NL Central in 2012.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I'm never concerned about that. It's not my money. Money buys championships, and unless BCast runs out, we are OK.
    Yeah you are right! We have one whole season before worring about that.Just sit back and enjoy watching him save games for us and not have to worry anymore like we used to with Coco.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    So much for Walter sitting on his hands. Stood pat in 2011 and had a losing record. Not gonna happen again. Get rid of fodder. Trade for and sign good pitching. Remove the always stressful Codero and Volquez from the equation. Now all we need is a power hitting left fielder. Somehow, I think it will happen. The man's on a mission.
    It is just a matter of time before we introduce former Rockies outfielder Seth Smith as a platoon partner with Chris Heisey. Jocketty will get this deal done too.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I will enjoy the anual Feb. and Mar. dumpster diving this year much more then years past although one more surprise move would be nice.Great offseason for Walt and the Reds.

It's not 10 mil, it's 8.5.

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
    Ryan Madson deal is for $8.5M for one year, source says
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Now, Sean Marshall will not be our closer for one year.

Can we, in that time, use that leverage to sign Sean Marshall to an extension at less-than-closer rates? And then turn him into our closer in 2013? And get draft picks when Madsen signs elsewhere?

If so, $10m is a fricking bargain....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It's not 10 mil, it's 8.5.

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
    Ryan Madson deal is for $8.5M for one year, source says
    If that's true that makes a big difference. That means they can afford to add a decent 4th outfielder.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

And Keith Law loves it!

keithlaw keithlaw
    Deal of the winter. Wow. "@jcrasnick: Ryan Madson deal is for $8.5M for one year, source says"

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    Now, Sean Marshall will not be our closer for one year.

Can we, in that time, use that leverage to sign Sean Marshall to an extension at less-than-closer rates? And then turn him into our closer in 2013? And get draft picks when Madsen signs elsewhere?

If so, $10m is a fricking bargain....

Rick
    Yes! I was thinking the same thing. If Marshall went out and proved himself as a "closer" this year, he becomes a burden on payroll if we try and extend him. Not sure if that's the plan, but if this works out like you said, we could potentially lock up the 9th inning for the next 3-5 years at a pretty discounted rate.

And on another note, I take back every disparaging remark I ever made about Walt Jocketty(and BCast for that matter). You can nitpick each deal, but the man has a plan and is piecing together one heck of a ball club. This is the kind of team you sacrifice some resources for.

Great deal, brings stability to the back of the pen and doesn't bring back CoCo, who I firmly believe is shot.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

WJ is the Brett Favre of GM's. Gunslinger.

The Reds' bullpen was bottom of the barrel last year (14th ish in FIP in NL) and toted a 64% save percentage.

NL avg 69%
    Leader
    1) Phillies 85%
    2) Arizona 82%
    10) Cin 64% (5 way tie)
    16) Houston 50%

With everyone going back an inning this number should jump dramatically. I like the move. The money isn't much of an issue IMO because there is next to no one left on the market to spend it on. A couple junk pile OF/reclamation projects or Dorn or whoever comes up and the Reds will be front runners in the NL Central.
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 01-11-2012 at 05:43 AM.

Turn Off Ads?