Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds sign Ryan Madson

Quote Originally Posted by PhatHead View Post
    I like it. Rumors were they offered CoCo 2 years $14 mill and then backed it down to 1 year $7 mill. I like Madsen for 1 year $8.5 mill. It gives us another year to see if we can develop a closer in house or gotta go outside again. Well done Walt.
    If Walt really did offer Coco a 2-year $14 million dollar deal he got very, very, very lucky. Volquez-lucky. (Re: Volquez turned down a multi-year extension).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PhatHead View Post
    I like it. Rumors were they offered CoCo 2 years $14 mill and then backed it down to 1 year $7 mill. I like Madsen for 1 year $8.5 mill. It gives us another year to see if we can develop a closer in house or gotta go outside again. Well done Walt.
    Yes, a year to figure out if Chapman can make it as a starter or if he's destined for a closer role.

This surprised the heck outta me. I thought for sure we would re-sign Coco. Now with Madson we def. have the best bullpen in the central if not the whole NL. Marshall and Madson is going to be a heck of a 1-2 punch to close out games.

Great deal for cincy. Really like your off season so far. Depending on how things work out in St Louis with the managerial change and Beltran/Pujols swap, looks like the NL Central's going to have a winner and a wildcard again.

Here is one good stat since he pitched in the tiny Philly ballpark.....

" He only allowed two home runs in 60 2/3 innings "
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

takealeake

Wow people liking a deal for a change? Knew it, it was all coming together. Significantly upgraded the bullpen, added an impact starter, and now just need a left field bat. All coming together baby.

I live and work in Phillies country and my inbox was filled is morning with positive comments and congratulations about Madson. Many Philly fans really wanted him back. He stepped up for the Phillies last year and also has shown his metal as a premium set up guy. It's a great near term move for the Reds.

Great sign. If we stand pat from here, I'm not upset. We just need young guys like Mes, Cozart and Francisco to kick it in gear this year.

Welcome aboard, Ryan!!!

I've had two Cubs fans come up to me at work today and say there's no way the Reds don't win the division. It's nice to hear.

imo you always gotta look to the future, so... If Madson has the same year he had last year, this season, you think we resign him? I think what someone said earlier is right and we look for marshall to step in to the closer role to save a lil $$ for next year. Isnt there a 2013 mutual option?

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    I've had two Cubs fans come up to me at work today and say there's no way the Reds don't win the division. It's nice to hear.
    I d ask you confer with your management at work to have these co-workers drug screened... they are obviously smoking crack.

Happy it wasn't Coco. Nice offseason signings.

Quote Originally Posted by TuneSquad View Post
    imo you always gotta look to the future, so... If Madson has the same year he had last year, this season, you think we resign him? I think what someone said earlier is right and we look for marshall to step in to the closer role to save a lil $$ for next year. Isnt there a 2013 mutual option?
    According to latest news from Mark Sheldon's blog, it's 6 mil. for 2012, 11 mill. option for 2013, or a 2.5 mill. buyout. So, 8.5 guaranteed. If he's as good as advertised, he will be worth the 11 mill. next year, IMO.

Great signing and the contract seems reasonable. We're chipping away at the unreasonable contracts that have tied Walt's hands during his time in Cincinnati. The last two on the books were self-inflicted however and those are for Rolen and Arroyo.

Rolen's doesn't bother me as much as Arroyo's and the latter will continue to be a millstone for the next couple of years. Rolen is still valuable as a stabilizing presence but Dusty must decrease his time in the lineup to give more time to Francisco, especially against RH pitching. Arroyo is an inning eater but is paid waaaaaaaay too much for what he is - a #3 or lower starter.
    Last edited by IamRV; 01-12-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Turn Off Ads?