Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds sign Ryan Madson

Bob Nightengale (USA Today) has the deal for one year at OVER $10 million.

Wow.

https://twitter.com/#!/BNightengale

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would be willing to bet that maybe a couple million is deferred!

With Marshall and now Madson, if the reds have the lead going into the 8th inning....ballgame!

BOOM goes the dynamite!!!!
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

1 year deal... I'd be willing to bet an open closer role is going to be a big incentive for Marshall to extend. Good use of our resources for this season, and it'll pay off if we start bringing the crowd back in.

No Prince, 50 without Braun, No Pujols, No LaRussa and no Duncan. The Reds have one of the best offense in baseball returning and added Latos, Marshall and Madson. I don't see how we're not NL Central favorites and huge contenders for the pennant. This is the most excited I've been for a Reds season in my lifetime. It's going to be a loooooong winter. I wish I could freeze myself and wake up during Spring training.

Loyal lurker since '99

This is exciting! Wow!

I have to ask this, and please understand I'm not a Dusty-hater. But I think this sends a pretty clear message that Dusty's boys have to put up this year as he goes into a contract year. It will be VERY interesting to see what happens with Dusty's contract status at the end of 2012. With this roster in this division, how can he NOT win? The question is, how far does his team have to go for him to get a new contract for 2013 and beyond. Just how high is the bar set for the 2012 expectations?

I'm pumped, tough. This will be fun!!!
    "It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone." - A. Bartlett Giamatti

This also means they are committed to Chapman as a starter.

Just imagine if any of the following come true:

1. Rolen has a nice ~.780-.800 OPS bounce-back year
    2. Bruce takes a step forward
    3. Arroyo has a 2012 more like 2010 than 2011
    4. Mesaroco has a + .800 OPS first year
    5. Chapman becomes the SP we hoped for in 2010

They have a solid pitching core, a solid lineup, and many legit possibilities for individuals to improve in 2012.

2012 should be a good year.

Sounds like $8.5 mil from most sources. Hope thats true.. can shovel some of that leftover towards LF
    This is the year.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

This is awesome. Mat Latos to start. Ryan Madsen to close. What an offseason. Go Reds.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

No more Coco!

topsyt

With this deal, if Chappy becomes a solid starter, we become "World Serious!"

I'm Busting. Jerry I'm Busting! It was just a couple of seasons back I started following baseball and the Reds. Now this offseason, I've never felt more happy about a team since...since....

Now I actually thought they'd sign Cordero (phew) but with a sandwich pick in-between. Thank you and goodbye!

Good for you, bad for STL. $8.5MIL was a little more than I was thinking he'd get but the Reds bullpen just got REAL GOOD! Looks like a CIN - STL 2 horse race this year, this ought to be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post
    Good for you, bad for STL. $8.5MIL was a little more than I was thinking he'd get but the Reds bullpen just got REAL GOOD! Looks like a CIN - STL 2 horse race this year, this ought to be fun!
    I like it. Rumors were they offered CoCo 2 years $14 mill and then backed it down to 1 year $7 mill. I like Madsen for 1 year $8.5 mill. It gives us another year to see if we can develop a closer in house or gotta go outside again. Well done Walt.
    ----------
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs." - David Daye

Turn Off Ads?