Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reds sign Ryan Madson

Re: Reds sign Ryan Madson

Quote Originally Posted by takealeake View Post
    Wow people liking a deal for a change? Knew it, it was all coming together. Significantly upgraded the bullpen, added an impact starter, and now just need a left field bat. All coming together baby.
    They like it because we didn't deal any of our supposed future HOF prospects.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IamRV View Post
    Great signing and the contract seems reasonable. We're chipping away at the unreasonable contracts that have tied Walt's hands during his time in Cincinnati. The last two on the books were self-inflicted however and those are for Rolen and Arroyo.

Rolen's doesn't bother me as much as Arroyo's and the latter will continue to be a millstone for the next couple of years. Rolen is still valuable as a stabilizing presence but Dusty must decrease his time in the lineup to give more time to Francisco, especially against RH pitching. Arroyo is an inning eater but is paid waaaaaaaay too much for what he is - a #3 or lower starter.
    Tone down your size and color there, dude. What are you, an 11 year old on Myspace?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Welcome aboard, Ryan!!!

Good trade candidate once they fall out of contention in July, should fetch some good talent.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Happy about madson, but this kills me "Roy Oswalt is said to be asking for $8MM." I really feel like Oswalt would have made this team a better team as opposed to madson. I just don't trust Bailey/Arroyo at the back end of that rotation along with the possibility of regression and health that plagues the rest of the rotation. Last year, even with age and injury, had a FIP of 3.44, better than his numbers in 07-09. The highest his FIP has ever been is 3.8 in '08. That's consistency. Is he an injury risk? yes. but that doesnt mean we couldnt move arroyo to the long man role and slot him in for someone who is injured. Last year's rotation was atrocious and as high as the hopes are for this team, another season of those pitching numbers and we're right back where we started. Lifetime FIP of 3.35 vs 4.59. That difference over 200 innings is HUGE. I don't think the upgrade the bullpen got from madson will have the same impact.

Quote Originally Posted by kuleyb View Post
    Happy about madson, but this kills me "Roy Oswalt is said to be asking for $8MM." I really feel like Oswalt would have made this team a better team as opposed to madson. I just don't trust Bailey/Arroyo at the back end of that rotation along with the possibility of regression and health that plagues the rest of the rotation. Last year, even with age and injury, had a FIP of 3.44, better than his numbers in 07-09. The highest his FIP has ever been is 3.8 in '08. That's consistency. Is he an injury risk? yes. but that doesnt mean we couldnt move arroyo to the long man role and slot him in for someone who is injured. Last year's rotation was atrocious and as high as the hopes are for this team, another season of those pitching numbers and we're right back where we started. Lifetime FIP of 3.35 vs 4.59. That difference over 200 innings is HUGE. I don't think the upgrade the bullpen got from madson will have the same impact.
    I wouldnt mind seeing Oswalt in our rotation either, but I think if the consensus among baseball people was that he's still a top flight SP, he wouldve been signed a long time ago.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Nerdvana Annihilation

Quote Originally Posted by kuleyb View Post
    I just don't trust Bailey/Arroyo at the back end of that rotation along with the possibility of regression and health that plagues the rest of the rotation.
    I agree, having Bailey in the lineup is a 50/50 chance every game. You really never know which guy is showing up.

Has this signing been actually announced by the Reds yet, making it official? Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't read any comments coming directly from the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Has this signing been actually announced by the Reds yet, making it official? Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't read any comments coming directly from the Reds.
    No, its not official until Madison takes a physical. He's on vacation and will take it this coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    No, its not official until Madison takes a physical. He's on vacation and will take it this coming week.
    Ahhh, thanks. I knew he had to take a physical but didn't realize the delay was him being on vacation.

Turn Off Ads?