Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the city of Cincinnati going to step up for a change this year?

takealeake

Is the city of Cincinnati going to step up for a change this year?

All these big moves being made, the organization is actually shoring up the pitching and trying to get it done. 27,000 a game isn't getting it done. And people can spend money no hope franchises like the Bungals, but not the Reds? No excuse why the Reds shouldn't have 35,000 plus in the seats on average the first month of the year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is the city of Cincinnati going to step up for a change this year?

Quote Originally Posted by takealeake View Post
    All these big moves being made, the organization is actually shoring up the pitching and trying to get it done. 27,000 a game isn't getting it done. And people can spend money no hope franchises like the Bungals, but not the Reds? No excuse why the Reds shouldn't have 35,000 plus in the seats on average the first month of the year.
    from my understanding it genrally takes two winning seasons to get the place to start selling out. so i've got a feeling there won't be that many this year but next year and the one after that should be filling it up.

Did they even draw well when they were good? I don't have the numbers in front of me, and I could be wrong, but I don't get the impression that they have ever been a team to draw 30-35,000 on a nightly basis.

Not going to happen. It's cold and school is in session. They may get those on weekend games, but week night games won't come close till summer and school is out.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    Did they even draw well when they were good? I don't have the numbers in front of me, and I could be wrong, but I don't get the impression that they have ever been a team to draw 30-35,000 on a nightly basis.
    when they were good they didn't have the staduim to pull that off.

Aside from the years of the Big Red machine, Cincinnati hasn't historically been a "sell out the stadium every night" city.

Furthermore, you can't compare Bengals attendance with Reds attendance. Excluding potential playoff appearances, the Bengals play 8 home games a season whereas the Reds play 81. If someone wants to see a Bengals game they only have 8 chances, so your likelihood of selling out a particular game, and an entire season, are much greater.

And all of that aside, even the Bengals only sold out 3 games this season.

Given the current economic state of the city, the Reds' level of play over the last decade, and the fact that the casual fan has no idea who Mat Latos is, the thought that they'll draw over 30K on average through April is far-fetched.

takealeake

It averages out, the point is why is there only 12,000 on a given weeknight game against the Pirates or something? That's atrocious. There's no reason for the attendance to bottom out like that.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I bet they draw 43,000 per game thru April 9.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

It averages out, the point is why is there only 12,000 on a given weeknight game against the Pirates or something? That's atrocious. There's no reason for the attendance to bottom out like that.
    Obviously there's a reason, or it wouldn't be happening. Games vs a cellar-dwelling opponent when many are under- or unemployed in a weak economy plagued by rampant inflation of core consumer goods (food and gasoline) are all reasons why the Reds don't draw on weeknights. Taking a family of four to the game, even if you sit in the nosebleeds, is still going to run a hundred dollars or more when you factor in parking, peanuts, etc. The core blue-collar citizenry of the region just don't have that kind of money to throw around anymore.

if i remember right last year first 2 months were kinda bad and everyone was making a big deal about it and they last few months it seemed like there were good crowds.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wink View Post
    Obviously there's a reason, or it wouldn't be happening. Games vs a cellar-dwelling opponent when many are under- or unemployed in a weak economy plagued by rampant inflation of core consumer goods (food and gasoline) are all reasons why the Reds don't draw on weeknights. Taking a family of four to the game, even if you sit in the nosebleeds, is still going to run a hundred dollars or more when you factor in parking, peanuts, etc. The core blue-collar citizenry of the region just don't have that kind of money to throw around anymore.
    You can park for free (if your willing to walk less than a mile), and you can bring in your own cooler. So unless you need to "keep up with the Joneses" the nosebleeds, or any ticket for that matter, cost face value plus gas. My family of four can drive from Louisville and back, pack two bottles of water each, a sandwich and bag of chips each for $45 + tickets. Not exactly breaking the bank. If you live within 20 miles of GABP you could do it for $20 + tickets. If you buy the cheap seats it will cost less than a night at Applebee's (or chain restaurant of choice).

I am sick and tired of "fans" whining about the cost of a game when the Reds have done everything they can (cheap tickets, special deals, allowing coolers) to make the experience affordable.
    Last edited by Captain13; 01-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    You can park for free (if your willing to walk less than a mile), and you can bring in your own cooler. So unless you need to "keep up with the Joneses" the nosebleeds, or any ticket for that matter, cost face value plus gas. My family of four can drive from Louisville and back, pack two bottles of water each, a sandwich and bag of chips each for $45 + tickets. Not exactly breaking the bank. If you live within 20 miles of GABP you could do it for $20 + tickets. If you buy the cheap seats it will cost less than a night at Applebee's (or chain restaurant of choice).

I am sick and tired of "fans" whining about the cost of a game when the Reds have done everything they can (cheap tickets, special deals, allowing coolers) to make the experience affordable.
    Amen

I think the Banks project will help revitalize that area and indirectly help the Reds crowds this season, as well. The majority of the bars and restaurants in the already developed area are set to open before opening day.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

The Reds have to walk the fine line between big crowds and big TV contracts.

Are you referring to the "no hope bungals" that have made the playoffs 3 out of the last 6 years, and made it this year with a rookie QB/WR combo? The ones with a stud WR in the pro bowl, and the only rookie QB to throw 20 td's and have 9 wins since the merger? I support both teams, but I think saying the Reds have been a lot better is a little ridiculous. Also, if you checked the Bengals attendance, not a lot of people were spending their money on them either, I had to go to 7 out of 8 games because I couldn't see them on tv lol. Also, the NFL is just a better product.

That being said, I agree. Cincinnati fans should step up on both levels, because both teams deserve it right now.
    Last edited by mroby85; 01-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    The Reds have to walk the fine line between big crowds and big TV contracts.
    That's my biggest issue. I work in West Chester, live in Dayton and have the games on cable almost every pitch. I'm not super motivated to drive home, pack up the family and drive back to the game when I know I can watch it on my couch. Traffic is relentless sometimes to get down to the park.

I still go to 10 games or more a year with co-workers or clients. But on most nights I'll just watch on cable and never miss a pitch.

Turn Off Ads?