Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the city of Cincinnati going to step up for a change this year?

Re: Is the city of Cincinnati going to step up for a change this year?

We (family of 6) have a nearly 2 hour drive to get to the ballpark. I went to 3 games last year, which is 2 more than the year before. Granted on 2 of the occasions, we used the kids' straight "A" tickets and bought 6-12 extras, but we all had a great time. 3rd time we went with a couple friends and their wives.
    Each time I parked under the stadium, and have no problem paying for the pleasure/convenience (no complaining). Personally, I don't mind walking to Fountain Square, or taking the ferry across the river, but my wife has no desire to walk any further than she has to. So we park underneath for $20.
    If the kids get the free tickets again, I see us going to 3-4 games this year. It will largely depend on their schedules with sports over the summer.
    On a side note, I have not been to a Bengals game since they opened the new stadium. Almost went this year, but decided against it. Sort of my own private protest to Mickey boy. As far north as I am, I can still get most of the blackout games via Lima, or Columbus TV. So, I have no desire to go there and spend the money it would take for a day of fun. I would rather take that money and go to an OSU game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I guess I don't understand all of the excuses people give for not going. It boils down to whether you want to go or not. We drive 3.5 hours one way to games and we attend around 10 games a year. Last year we had the 20 game season ticket package and it was not fun to see the stadium half empty. Cincinnati has some of the cheapest tickets in baseball, the bleachers are what, 7 bucks? If you are truly a fan you go when you can and as much as you can, otherwise call yourself a bandwagoner and leave the excuses. (And yes, we went to that many games when Joey Hamilton was the ace.) Quit blaming the economy, you don't think other cities have the same problems? Cities like St Louis blow us away in attendance. Detroit drew more this past season than us and I'd say the economy there is worse than it is around Cincy. Sorry, this is a sore spot for me, and I hate excuses.

It amuses me to see all of the people who act like going to ballgames is an obligation for anyone who roots for the team, and that someone who's not directly filling the team's coffers can't be a fan of the team.

I suppose if someone's self-identity demands that they elevate themselves to a higher tier of fanaticism about your hometown team than others, it makes sense that they'd insult and belittle those who can't afford to make the same monetary contribution to the team as they do.

I suppose I understand the thought process and where it comes from, even though I don't think it's healthy for a fandom community to belittle others and question their dedication (and as if dedication to a sports franchise is some sort of moral activity in and of itself) to the team they root for.

*shrug*

Carry on, boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    You can park for free (if your willing to walk less than a mile), and you can bring in your own cooler. So unless you need to "keep up with the Joneses" the nosebleeds, or any ticket for that matter, cost face value plus gas. My family of four can drive from Louisville and back, pack two bottles of water each, a sandwich and bag of chips each for $45 + tickets. Not exactly breaking the bank. If you live within 20 miles of GABP you could do it for $20 + tickets. If you buy the cheap seats it will cost less than a night at Applebee's (or chain restaurant of choice).

I am sick and tired of "fans" whining about the cost of a game when the Reds have done everything they can (cheap tickets, special deals, allowing coolers) to make the experience affordable.
    Yep. If you live within a reasonable distance of the stadium it is pretty damn cheap to go to a game. When my wife and I go and don't get any stadium food/drinks we've spent less than $20 on nights that we use our season tickets.

If you can't find $5-10 tickets to a weeknight game you're doing it wrong.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

You can park for free (if your willing to walk less than a mile), and you can bring in your own cooler. So unless you need to "keep up with the Joneses" the nosebleeds, or any ticket for that matter, cost face value plus gas. My family of four can drive from Louisville and back, pack two bottles of water each, a sandwich and bag of chips each for $45 + tickets. Not exactly breaking the bank. If you live within 20 miles of GABP you could do it for $20 + tickets. If you buy the cheap seats it will cost less than a night at Applebee's (or chain restaurant of choice).

I am sick and tired of "fans" whining about the cost of a game when the Reds have done everything they can (cheap tickets, special deals, allowing coolers) to make the experience affordable.
    I think what the other guy is trying to get at is, with the economy the way it is even if you have the few extra dollars to spend on a game, there are much better things to spend your few extra dollars on than a Reds game.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    I guess I don't understand all of the excuses people give for not going. It boils down to whether you want to go or not. We drive 3.5 hours one way to games and we attend around 10 games a year. Last year we had the 20 game season ticket package and it was not fun to see the stadium half empty. Cincinnati has some of the cheapest tickets in baseball, the bleachers are what, 7 bucks? If you are truly a fan you go when you can and as much as you can, otherwise call yourself a bandwagoner and leave the excuses. (And yes, we went to that many games when Joey Hamilton was the ace.) Quit blaming the economy, you don't think other cities have the same problems? Cities like St Louis blow us away in attendance. Detroit drew more this past season than us and I'd say the economy there is worse than it is around Cincy. Sorry, this is a sore spot for me, and I hate excuses.
    Just because you go to a ballgame doesn't make you any more of a fan than those who don't go. I live 4 hours away, I would love to attend more games a year that I currently do. I try to make a weekend series or 2 a year. With what you are saying makes you sound like the new Jacksonville Jaguars owner, saying he only wants to hear things from season ticket holders, what he calls true fans, that point of view is just rediculous. And yes other cities do have better attendance where the economy is much worse, but St. Louis(I hate to admitt it) is a better baseball town, and Detroit has put a better product on the field than us.

Right now I have a 3 hour drive to get to cinci, so i to go to one game a year, but, I'm going to UC this fall so if anyone has tickets they're giving away please LET ME KNOW once school starts i'd be glad to fill up some seats when i can afford to go

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I don't think anyone is belittling fans who don't go to games. It would be nice to see Reds fans fill the stadium.

What irks me is the fans who use cost and the economy as lame excuses. Say "I live too far away", "my kids are too young", "my couch is way more comfy" or even "I'm an alcoholic and can't afford to get hammered on $8 beers". I just get tired of people complaining about the cost (especially when it is the same folks complaining the Reds don't spend enough).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I don't think anyone is belittling fans who don't go to games. It would be nice to see Reds fans fill the stadium.

What irks me is the fans who use cost and the economy as lame excuses. Say "I live too far away", "my kids are too young", "my couch is way more comfy" or even "I'm an alcoholic and can't afford to get hammered on $8 beers". I just get tired of people complaining about the cost (especially when it is the same folks complaining the Reds don't spend enough).
    Well, I do live too far away. I am not making the 1,800 mile drive to watch the Reds, and certainly not buying the plane ticket either. On the occasion I am back in Cincy, I do go to games, but it is a treat to me. Heck, there are often more people in the stadium than the town in which I live, which is the 4th biggest city in the state. Just fun to even think about that.

I moved to St. Petersburg, FL this past Summer. I'm enough of a fanatic to drive the 17 hours up I-75 JUST for a baseball game

I have attended one or two games for the last few years. The moves Walt and company have made this year has inspired me to make it to a few more in 2012. Its refreshing to see the rotation and bullpen filled from the top with Latos, Madson, and Marshall. In the past too often the team has been filled from the back with guys like Josh Fogg, Victor Santos, and Estaban Yan. Fogg and others definitely have their place in baseball and I respect them very much but they do not elicit the excitement a franchise needs to fill the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Not going to happen. It's cold and school is in session. They may get those on weekend games, but week night games won't come close till summer and school is out.
    More of a blue collar town anyway. A lot of people have to be at work bright and early and can't be watching baseball until 11pm on weeknights. Weekend games are always more packed, no matter what team is in town.

Turn Off Ads?