Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Projecting the Opening Day Roster

Projecting the Opening Day Roster

We now have a much clearer picture as to what the OD roster will look like than we did a month ago. There still remains some clutter, particularly now in the bullpen. Here's my best guess at the OD 25:

2B B.Phillips
    CF D.Stubbs
    1B J.Votto
    RF J.Bruce
    LF ?????
    3B S.Rolen
    C D.Mesoraco
    SS Z.Cozart

SP1 M.Latos
    SP2 J.Cueto (even though he'll likely start OD)
    SP3 M.Leake
    SP4 H.Bailey
    SP5 B.Arroyo

BP B.Bray
    BP J.Arredondo
    BP S.LeCure
    BP N.Masset
    BP A.Brackman (although if it were me, I'd let Brackman work as a starter in AAA and let Ondrusek and Judy battle it out for this last bullpen spot)
    SU S.Marshall
    CL R.Madson

BN R.Hanigan C
    BN C.Heisey OF
    BN D.Phipps OF
    BN J.Francisco IF
    BN R.Theriot IF (if they don't sign Theriot, this spot could go to Frazier, Valaika or Janish)

As I noted above, with the new bullpen depth, I might consider trying to stretch Brackman into a starter along with Chapman in Louisville. If his deal keeps him in Cincinnati (as a reliever), then I'd look to trade a reliever (perhaps Masset?) and something else for Seth Smith. The Rockies are without Huston Street, so perhaps they could use the bullpen help.

As for the bench, I could see a battle developing between Phipps and Frazier in ST, especially if they bring in an LF from outside the organization- otherwise there may be room for both. If they don't sign Theriot, they will likely need someone like Janish or maybe even Valaika who can backup Cozart at SS.

Is Miguel Cairo still with the team? If so, he may take a roster spot away from the bullpen, creating even more of a logjam...
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-11-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Projecting the Opening Day Roster

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    We now have a much clearer picture as to what the OD roster will look like than we did a month ago. There still remains some clutter, particularly now in the bullpen. Here's my best guess at the OD 25:

2B B.Phillips
    CF D.Stubbs
    1B J.Votto
    RF J.Bruce
    LF ?????
    3B S.Rolen
    C D.Mesoraco
    SS Z.Cozart

SP1 M.Latos
    SP2 J.Cueto (even though he'll likely start OD)
    SP3 M.Leake
    SP4 H.Bailey
    SP5 B.Arroyo

BP B.Bray
    BP J.Arredondo
    BP S.LeCure
    BP N.Masset
    BP A.Brackman (although if it were me, I'd let Brackman work as a starter in AAA and let Ondrusek and Judy battle it out for this last bullpen spot)
    SU S.Marshall
    CL R.Madson

BN R.Hanigan C
    BN C.Heisey OF
    BN D.Phipps OF
    BN J.Francisco IF
    BN R.Theriot IF (if they don't sign Theriot, this spot could go to Frazier, Valaika or Janish)

As I noted above, with the new bullpen depth, I might consider trying to stretch Brackman into a starter along with Chapman in Louisville. If his deal keeps him in Cincinnati (as a reliever), then I'd look to trade a reliever (perhaps Masset?) and something else for Seth Smith. The Rockies are without Huston Street, so perhaps they could use the bullpen help.

As for the bench, I could see a battle developing between Phipps and Frazier in ST, especially if they bring in an LF from outside the organization- otherwise there may be room for both. If they don't sign Theriot, they will likely need someone like Janish or maybe even Valaika who can backup Cozart at SS.

Is Miguel Cairo still with the team? If so, he may take a roster spot away from the bullpen, creating even more of a logjam...
    Only quibble? I don't see Phipps on the bench to start the season. If it comes down to that, I'd say Frazier will be the "5th OF."

Opinions -

Hanigan will be the starting catcher most games. Mes will back him up until Mes shows he is ready.

Ondrusek will be in the bullpen. Brackman will be at AAA. Chapman could be stretched out in the bullpen (rather than AAA), but that would require somebody else being dropped from the pen.

As you note, you left Cairo off the bench. He will be there. The bench will have three infielders, one outfielder, one catcher. I expect it to be Heisey, Mesoraco, Francisco, Cairo, and a SS (Theriot, Frazier, Janish, or someone else, as you indicate). This structure allows the Reds to keep all three of Francisco, Cairo and a backup middle infielder.

I see absolutely no room for Phipps. Frazier could possibly make it if Francisco is hurt, Cairo is moved, or a backup SS is not acquired. Frazier can be a backup SS/OF possibly. I think the backup SS, though, will be a new guy when all the moves are in and Frazier will be at AAA barring injury. Frazier makes team only if injury requires an additional bench guy.

The Reds will not go with 6 relievers to accomodate Cairo or anyone else. The place they will go short is in the outfield. Four outfielders with Francisco, or Cairo, or somebody else as an emergency fifth.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-11-2012 at 04:53 PM.

I'm not getting the Phipps thing.

You guys are probably right about Phipps. I guess Frazier and/or Francisco can serve as the 5th OF, so long as Heisey is a backup (otherwise we'd likely need a backup who could play CF).
    Go BLUE!!!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I'm not getting the Phipps thing.
    There is nothing to get, he won't make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    There is nothing to get, he won't make the team.
    I think that's what I was saying. I'm not understanding that some are projecting him on the team. Get that?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I think that's what I was saying. I'm not understanding that some are projecting him on the team. Get that?
    I was agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I was agreeing with you.
    Got you. I was confused.

Ondrusek will be on the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

What I think the team will look like.

2B B. Phillips
    SS Z. Cozart
    1B J. Votto
    3B S. Rolen
    RF J. Bruce
    CF D. Stubbs
    LF C. Heisey
    C R. Hanigan

SP1 J. Cueto
    SP2 M. Latos

SP3 B. Arroyo
    SP4 M. Leake
    SP5 H. Bailey

LR S. LeCure
    MR J. Arredondo
    MR L. Ondrusek
    MR B. Bray
    SU N. Masset
    SU S. Marshall
    CL R. Madson

BN D. Mesoraco C
    BN R. Ankiel OF
    BN M. Cairo IF
    BN J. Francisco UT
    BN R. Theriot MIF
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-11-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    What I think the team will look like.

2B B. Phillips
    SS Z. Cozart
    1B J. Votto
    3B S. Rolen
    RF J. Bruce
    CF D. Stubbs
    LF C. Heisey
    C R. Hanigan

SP1 J. Cueto
    SP2 M. Latos

SP3 B. Arroyo
    SP4 M. Leake
    SP5 H. Bailey

LR S. LeCure
    MR J. Arredondo
    MR L. Ondrusek
    MR B. Bray
    SU N. Masset
    SU S. Marshall
    CL R. Madson

BN D. Mesoraco C
    BN R. Ankiel OF
    BN M. Cairo IF
    BN J. Francisco UT
    BN R. Theriot MIF
    This seems right, except that Ankiel and Theriot are not locks to be signed, others may be signed instead. And, of course, the Reds could decide to keep Chapman in the bigs and move a pitcher to make room.

Otherwise, I think this is it barring injury.

And Todd Frazier is waiting in the wings in case an infielder or outfielder gets injured.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-11-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Anybody but Ankiel, in my view.

Miguel Cairo is on the team and doesn't take a spot from the bullpen. Rather I think you'll see the Reds use Juan Fransisco and/or Todd Frazier in the OF.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Should the Reds try to sign Roy Oswalt?

Turn Off Ads?