Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sign Ludwig......

Sign Ludwig......

.... and let's get on with it. Does anybody see a better fit within our price range?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sign Ludwig......

Who's that?

I've heard about Ryan Ludwick being available but would like some stats on this Ludwig guy.

Ha ha..... never occurred to me to spell his name with a ck at the end. Thanks for the correction!

I'd rather have Fukudome, but I like Ludwick unlike most people.

He turns 34 this year. Here's his slash line the last 4 seasons:
    2008) .299 .375 .591
    2009) .265 .329 .447
    2010) .251 .325 .418
    2011) .237 .310 .363

Other than his stellar 2008 season, he has OPS'd over .775 once in his career, and that was .818 in 339 PA in 2007. He doesn't exactly have a history of offensive greatness is my point, more like one and a half good seasons hitting next to Pujols.
    He has a poor K/BB rate, especially when compared to someone like Fukudome. Those two last year were 124/51 and 110/61, respectively.(For his entire career Fukudome's K/BB has been much better than that, too.)
    I think those numbers are important to keep in mind because of the high strike out totals among our existing outfielders.

Lastly, Ludwick is a below average defender. I don't have any stats to site on that, but if you don't believe me, look them up for yourself.

Ryan Ludwick is not the right guy for this team.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Wouldn't it have been nice to have an outfield of Pence/Stubbs/Bruce

Here's the thing. If we're looking for someone to split at bats with Heisey, ideally we're looking for a lefty masher, right? Ludwick is like Heisey 2.0. Ludwick is a career .237 hitter against lefties. Count me out on him.

I'll take Magglio Ordonez, who is a career .322/.381/.554 hitter against lefties. There hasn't been much interest in him this offseason, if any, and he should be pretty cheap being 37 years old. He also said he had contemplated retirement as late as midway through the 2011 season.

I'll also pass on Ryan Theriot for Omar Vizquel. Vizquel would be the perfect mentor for Cozart, plus he can backup 2nd and 3rd. Switch hitter as well.

How about a OF of Bruce, Cepedes and Hiesey or Stubbs?

This team does not need a right handed batter. This team needs a left handed batter. Doesn't anybody believe in the percentages anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    This team does not need a right handed batter. This team needs a left handed batter. Doesn't anybody believe in the percentages anymore?
    +1 This is why I wouldn't mind Drew, just not for everyday.

I can't recall if this guy was LHed or not, but what about Brad Hawpe?

I would like the Team to Sign LF Johnny Damon and give him the Lead Off spot... putting Phillipsm #2...

Damon helped the Rays make the playoffs last year and is a Winner where ever he goes...

With Luke Scott just signing for 5 Million... Damon might be had for 3-4 Million and IMO, would be a great addistion in the Lineup and Clubhouse...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I would like the Team to Sign LF Johnny Damon and give him the Lead Off spot... putting Phillipsm #2...

Damon helped the Rays make the playoffs last year and is a Winner where ever he goes...

With Luke Scott just signing for 5 Million... Damon might be had for 3-4 Million and IMO, would be a great addistion in the Lineup and Clubhouse...
    Damon played a total of 17 games in the field last season. The rest of the season he was a DH solely. His fielding percentages have been on a steady decline since the 07 season. He's too old to be even in a platoon in the outfield.

Cody Ross hits lefties better than rights (while Heisey is the opposite), can play all three outfield positions and has been clutch in the post-season for Giants.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    Ha ha..... never occurred to me to spell his name with a ck at the end. Thanks for the correction!
    No problem, hope it didn't sound too smart alek - didn't mean it that way.

Luddy has been in decline since his trade to SD from STL. The Reds need a LH OF and NOT Damon. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    2 lefties is enough. Get best available.

tbh with the fielding talk are people going little overboard with that talk? im not saying you should sign this guy. but for example almost every position has a good glove. out of every team how many teams have great gloves at every spot? also the reds park is small.

Turn Off Ads?