Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Corcino, Barnhart, Joseph, Christiani . . .

Corcino, Barnhart, Joseph, Christiani . . .

invited to camp. That was circulated by MLBTradeRumors, although I didn't see an original source.

It seems a nice perk for Corcino and Barnhart, in particular, coming out of low-A. In Barnhart's case, they're of course always looking for extra catchers for spring training, and he's advanced defensively; but still good to see. Corcino's invite is pretty interesting.
    Last edited by mace; 01-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Corcino, Barnhart, Joseph, Christiani . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    invited to camp. That was circulated by MLBTradeRumors, although I didn't see an original source.

It seems a nice perk for Corcino and Barnhart, in particular, coming out of low-A. In Barnhart's case, they're of course always looking for extra catchers for spring training, and he's advanced defensively; but still good to see. Corcino's invite is pretty interesting.
    It came from Jamie Ramsey's blog. I help do the Reds updates for MLBTR.

I have to say, I'm surprised -- but delighted -- Corcino got an invite. Bodes well for him.

-The Insider-

Why is anyone surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Why is anyone surprised?
    Because he hasn't pitched above A-ball.

Because he hasn't pitched above A-ball.
    Right. If you're giving the major league staff a long look at a non-40 man prospect in the spring it suggests the team thinks the kid has a chance (if an outside one) to help as soon as this year. (In Corcino's case, my guess is that they're thinking a possible spot in the bullpen late in the year, if he has a good year. Yet given how thin they are in starters in the minors, they could even look to him for a 5-inning stint or two come August/September, I guess.)

-The Insider-

Top prospects get invites all the time, regardless of experience. It doesn't necessarily mean they are thinking about him for 2012. He'll be one of the first cuts in Spring Training. It's no big deal. More of a formality if anything.

Top prospects get invites all the time, regardless of experience. It doesn't necessarily mean they are thinking about him for 2012. He'll be one of the first cuts in Spring Training. It's no big deal. More of a formality if anything.
    I don't see how it's a formality. If it were a marginal guy signed this winter as a FA who they see as depth at AAA (for example, Gallagher) and who was looking for a ST invite as a condition for signing, then yes, it's a formality. But there's nothing contractual about Corcino's invitation. I think he's there so coaches can stack him up against some of the guys currently envisioned as possible MLB contributors in 2012. IMO, it means they're accelerating him past the one-year/one-level plan.

What does Tucker Barnhart's future look like? Potential MLB backup or maybe more?

I used to umpire his games at Brownsburg HS, good kid.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

What does Tucker Barnhart's future look like? Potential MLB backup or maybe more?
    My impression is that because he's very good defensively, a switch hitter with a very solid approach, and a great intangibles guy, he's on track to be a big leaguer. As you say, a backup and maybe more.

I think Barnhart is a likely major leaguer at his floor, assuming health. His glove should get him there. If he adds power, he's a legitimate starting option. But he'll have to add that power to do anything more than be a career backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I think Barnhart is a likely major leaguer at his floor, assuming health. His glove should get him there. If he adds power, he's a legitimate starting option. But he'll have to add that power to do anything more than be a career backup.
    I think Barnhart may be a perrfect tandem partner to pair with Mesaraco and he should be ready to make his debut about the time Hanigan's extension is up. Of course, Fleury is a rung or two above him and could be decent backup option also. The fact that both are capable of htting from the left-side is interesting also.

One other possibility is that Mes could move to another position in Barnhart were to come on and they wanted to save his bat by reducing the wear and tear of catching, but that is WAY down the road.

One thing is certain though, as long as you have solid catching propects at the top and in the pipeline, you'll always have trading partners.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

I used to umpire his games at Brownsburg HS, good kid.
    He's looking like a very good defensive catcher--possibly even elite. Offensively, the hope is that he'll be something reminiscent of Ryan Hanigan (low power but high OBP). There are a lot of Reds prospects who are currently ranked higher than him, but a lot of them have less likely chances of making it to the big show. He's a very legitimate prospect, and things are looking good for him, but players who don't project to have a lot of offense don't typically get talked about much until they hit the middle or upper minors.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Regarding Corcino, I adhere to Princeton's mantra - challenge thy hitters and coddle thy pitchers. My addendum to that is that when a pitcher is ready, he's ready, no matter the level, but when a hitter's ready he may not be ready, no matter the level.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I'm aware of that, but not a lot of people are. The non-roster top prospects typically don't stay in the big league camp very long, so I think people aren't used to seeing them get much opportunity in spring training.

Turn Off Ads?