Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Homer Bailey key to taking this team to next level?

Homer Bailey key to taking this team to next level?

I think this team is going to have a pretty good year, unless we have a lot of injuries or a lot of guys have down years. I think Latos and Cueto will carry the top of the rotation, Leake will be a solid 3, and Arroyo will be okay as a number 4 or 5 (even if hes higher on paper, lets be honest hes the worst starting pitcher).

But I think the key for this team to make a big championship run is for Homer to finally reach his potential. He has had stretches in the past where he can be a really good SP and other stretches where he struggles. But I think there is a chance this is the year he puts it all together.

If he doesnt can we still make the playoffs? Yeah for sure. But if he does, and Cueto follows up a great 2011 with another great 2012, and Latos is the 2010 pitcher, that could be a damn good 1-2-3 for the playoffs.

Obviously some "ifs" here, but I think Homer hitting his potential would make us a potential WS favorite.

Then if Chapman also becomes a good SP in 2012 or 2013, watch out!!

Imagine a rotation of:
    1. Cueto
    2. Latos
    3. Bailey
    4. Chapman
    5. Leake

So much potential there

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey key to taking this team to next level?

I would say Leake is the guy to watch this year. I would rather see Homer as a No. 5 guy (or four if Arroyo can't get it done,) but Leake seems like he is poised for a big year as a mid-rotation guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Votto4MVP View Post
    I think this team is going to have a pretty good year, unless we have a lot of injuries or a lot of guys have down years. I think Latos and Cueto will carry the top of the rotation, Leake will be a solid 3, and Arroyo will be okay as a number 4 or 5 (even if hes higher on paper, lets be honest hes the worst starting pitcher).

But I think the key for this team to make a big championship run is for Homer to finally reach his potential. He has had stretches in the past where he can be a really good SP and other stretches where he struggles. But I think there is a chance this is the year he puts it all together.

If he doesnt can we still make the playoffs? Yeah for sure. But if he does, and Cueto follows up a great 2011 with another great 2012, and Latos is the 2010 pitcher, that could be a damn good 1-2-3 for the playoffs.

Obviously some "ifs" here, but I think Homer hitting his potential would make us a potential WS favorite.

Then if Chapman also becomes a good SP in 2012 or 2013, watch out!!

Imagine a rotation of:
    1. Cueto
    2. Latos
    3. Bailey
    4. Chapman
    5. Leake

So much potential there

I'm going to just shoot for Homer getting to 12 wins, if he can do that his season will be a success.

IF (a big if) Chapman proves he's ready to start AND Bailey can stay healthy, there is a controversy brewing with leaving Arroyo in the rotation. Especially if he is tracking for season number 2 of Long Bomb Bronson.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I just don't think Chapman will ever develop into a MLB starting pitcher, I would love for him to do so. I think he would be way to inconsistant. I think he is better in the 8th or 9th innings and not innings 1-6. As far as Bailey, I think he can have a big year if he stays healthy. He hasn't proven he can do so yet, but the last 2 years when he has been healthy, has pitched pretty effectively. Like someone else said, his goal should be 12 wins. Anything better than that is just gravy.

GO REDS!!!!!

I just don't get what people see him in Homer. He is okay but he can't stay healthy he is consistantly inconsistant and he struggles to make good pitches. I would like to see the Reds package him for a deal for a real strong bat maybe.

I would be SHOCKED if we see Chapman in the Reds rotation this year at all. At best maybe after the all star break, but he needs so much work in AAA and there is no reason to rush him.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I just don't get what people see him in Homer. He is okay but he can't stay healthy he is consistantly inconsistant and he struggles to make good pitches. I would like to see the Reds package him for a deal for a real strong bat maybe.
    This is why I say 12 wins would be a successful year for him, it would mean he pitched in the 170 innings range and that would be a career high.

I see Leake getting the most wins of anyone on the reds staff. Not because he's the best pitcher but because as a #3 you genrally face other #3 guys unless your facing the phillies then it's a #1 but I would put leake in the top 5 of guys listed at #3 on the depth chart of pitchers in all of MLB behind Hamels, who ever is 3rd for the braves, and who ever is third for the red soxs.

Turn Off Ads?