Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Damon

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Johnny Damon

Just throwing it out there.

Left field, knocks the tar out of right handed pitching, wins wherever he goes..

yes, he's old. 36 I think....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Damon

Lead off hitter...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

That too

Ehhhh,

I dunno. He's coming of a season where his OBP was its third lowest of his career. In addition, a .744 OPS and a BABIP of .284 are respectable. My concern is giving a man who's 37 the kind of money he'll expect when his WAR last year was around 2. It all depends on the deal, I suppose.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

By the way, it feels good to be posting again. I didn't have much time for baseball over the past couple years; 3 jobs in 3 cities will do that to you.

As a final word, if he could be had for peanuts, I'm all about it. I guess I'm just higher on the guys we already have than most.

I have a little doubt about his hitting. I have big doubts about his ability to play LF.

Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    Ehhhh,

I dunno. He's coming of a season where his OBP was its third lowest of his career. In addition, a .744 OPS and a BABIP of .284 are respectable. My concern is giving a man who's 37 the kind of money he'll expect when his WAR last year was around 2. It all depends on the deal, I suppose.
    Dusty is still our manager. You bring Damon in and you're probably looking at a Tavares esque repeat even if 2012 is a mirror of his 2011. And when asked about it Dusty will say something about guys needing abs to get their numbers to the back of the cards.

Just look at Griffey hitting 3rd and Tavares batting leadoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I have a little doubt about his hitting. I have big doubts about his ability to play LF.
    Short but right on the money.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Short but right on the money.
    My thoughts also. I thhik Damon is capable of out-hitting many (if not all) the guys mentioned so far. He only played 16 games in the OF for TB last year. I'd actually love to have JD in the leadoff spot, but not sure he'd hold up defensively over a 162-game season in LF (even as part of a platoon).

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I posted this on another message board a few days ago, so this is all from memory.

Damon will be 38 years old next season.
    He has only played 53 total games in the OF combined for 2010-2011. He last played 133 games in LF in 2009.

He has never played in the National League.

Does he have the stamina and health to play 120 games in LF for the Reds and maintain his offensive numbers?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I posted this on another message board a few days ago, so this is all from memory.

Damon will be 38 years old next season.
    He has only played 53 total games in the OF combined for 2010-2011. He last played 133 games in LF in 2009.

He has never played in the National League.

Does he have the stamina and health to play 120 games in LF for the Reds and maintain his offensive numbers?
    That is a good question. Something us fans probably aren't going to have insight into. That is what they pay the scouts for. Still, depending on his demands, I think he would certainly be someone who could fit well with the "Scott Rolen plan" where he plays 3-4 days a week, while fitting in Heisey the other 3-4 days a week. Probably could get some good production there. But, as you noted, he hasn't played much OF lately at all. Gotta talk to the scouts to even see if they think he can do it with anything close to a frequent amount of time.

How is Johnny Damon in any way comparable to Willy Taveras?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    How is Johnny Damon in any way comparable to Willy Taveras?
    Offensively, I think

2B Brandon Phillips
    LF Johnny Damon
    1B Joey Votto
    RF Jay Bruce

would probably be a pretty decent top of the order. Two problems though. Can Damon stand up to regular OF duty? And, can you get solid offensive production from two of three spots: 3B (Rolen/Francisco), CF (Stubbs/Heisey) and/or C (Mesarac/Hanigan) in the 5, 6 & 7 holes?

He's talking to the Yanks. I think this portends the end of Johnny in Red dreams.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Turn Off Ads?