Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    796

    Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    IF the rumors of the 4 year 44 million deal that was bandied about with Philly are anything close to true, the I simply refuse to believe that the best deal Boras could find for Madsen was a 6 million offer from Cincy.

    My guess is that Madsen targetted the Reds and was willing to leave a lot of money on the table in order to play here. Sometimes, it is not all about the bird in the hand when it comes to money.

    Think about it... if you are a closer who thinks you are the best (and you want a LTC that reflects that), the only way to prove it is to get a ton of saves. That means you are looking for a team with a the following:

    1. A strong rotation. With the addittion of Latos, we are now defintely approaching top tier.... but more importantly,
    2. A rotation not known for complete games. We have a bunch of guys that can go 7, and that means you also want
    3. Dependable set up men that will protect leads in the 8th inning and we now have the very best in baseball in Marshall, but you also want
    4. A team that plays excellent defense... you do not want to have any outs given away in the 9th and even unearned runs still cause blown saves, but you will also need
    5. A manager that users a closer just about every time he can no matter what (Dusty) and finally
    6. A team with a dependable but not blowout stlye offense. We are not a team that scores more than 6 all that often, we have morphed from the boom or bust era of the Griffey/Dunn offense to one that is consistently in the 3-6 run range.

    I do not think any other team is such a perfect setup for a closer looking for the best opportunity to strut his stuff. I think Madsen plans on getting 45+ saves this year and securing that huge paycheck next year.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member brad1176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    286

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    Great post, I agree completely. When the big deals didn't happen Boras targeted Cincy.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    I think if Madsen is smart he fires his agent...

  5. #4
    Member brad1176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    286

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I think if Madsen is smart he fires his agent...
    Yep, I think Boras cost Madson several million dollars. It's good for the Reds though!

  6. #5
    Member alett12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    694

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    Great post i agree totally except can we please learn to spell? it's Madson. there is no e.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    796

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    Great post i agree totally except can we please learn to spell? it's Madson. there is no e.
    I do not post often... but have I done something to offend you in the past?

    If so, I apologize.

    If not, what is the reason for such a childish manner in which to point out a spelling error in someone's name?

    "...learn to spell..." Really?

    Next time try something a bit more courteous like... "I think he actually spells his name Madson rather than Madsen."

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    619

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    Great post i agree totally except can we please learn to spell? it's Madson. there is no e.
    You are correct about the spelling, but could we please learn how to capitalize? It's "I" not "i".


  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mariemont
    Posts
    35

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    As much I would like to believe your theory, I have a hard time doing so. Phillies execs said that the 4 yr $44 mill deal that they "reached" was never true, and to me it is kind of easy to see that Boras just wanted to stir the pot a little. That list you compiled is fairly elaborate, and to be honest... The brutal truth is that very rarely do you see guys take paycuts to play somewhere, no matter who it is. 2 main things motivate players these days, and that is $$$ and team contention.

  10. #9
    Member brad1176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    286

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    It could be that the 4 yr 44 million contract was verbally agreed too, Boras blabbed it everywhere, and Amaro pulled it because of that. The fact is we have no idea what happened there. All we do have are the facts which are the big spenders either had a closer, couldn't spend anymore on a closer, or traded for one to keep from spending more money. When things dried up, Boras went to Walt or vice versa.

  11. #10
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    IF the rumors of the 4 year 44 million deal that was bandied about with Philly are anything close to true, the I simply refuse to believe that the best deal Boras could find for Madsen was a 6 million offer from Cincy.

    My guess is that Madsen targetted the Reds and was willing to leave a lot of money on the table in order to play here. Sometimes, it is not all about the bird in the hand when it comes to money.

    Think about it... if you are a closer who thinks you are the best (and you want a LTC that reflects that), the only way to prove it is to get a ton of saves. That means you are looking for a team with a the following:

    1. A strong rotation. With the addittion of Latos, we are now defintely approaching top tier.... but more importantly,
    2. A rotation not known for complete games. We have a bunch of guys that can go 7, and that means you also want
    3. Dependable set up men that will protect leads in the 8th inning and we now have the very best in baseball in Marshall, but you also want
    4. A team that plays excellent defense... you do not want to have any outs given away in the 9th and even unearned runs still cause blown saves, but you will also need
    5. A manager that users a closer just about every time he can no matter what (Dusty) and finally
    6. A team with a dependable but not blowout stlye offense. We are not a team that scores more than 6 all that often, we have morphed from the boom or bust era of the Griffey/Dunn offense to one that is consistently in the 3-6 run range.

    I do not think any other team is such a perfect setup for a closer looking for the best opportunity to strut his stuff. I think Madsen plans on getting 45+ saves this year and securing that huge paycheck next year.
    Excellent post. I hadn't thought of it like this, I am guessing because I am hardwired into not thinking the Reds are a contender. It really is a good team for save opportunities, especially with Marshall coming in infront of him.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    20

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    It's official:

    @Reds
    Reds
    #Reds, RHP Ryan Madson agree to terms on 1-year contract through the 2012 season with a mutual option for 2013.

  13. #12
    '19 '40 '75 '76 '90
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    782

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    Madson, 31, is guaranteed $8.5 million while earning $6 million in 2012 with a $2.5 million buyout on the $11 million mutual option for '13. Some of the money in the deal will be deferred.

  14. #13
    Member alett12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    694

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    Anybody want to make coco an offer on a minor league deal with an invite to spring training?

  15. #14
    Member brad1176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    286

    Re: Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

    Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    Anybody want to make coco an offer on a minor league deal with an invite to spring training?
    Where are those 'deals' from multiple teams his agent was talking about before the Reds signed Madson? I figured ol' Coco would've taken one of those by now.....


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25