Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ms trade Pineda

Ms trade Pineda

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Ms trade Pineda

I think both teams could win in this deal. Depends of course on all of the other parts, but I like it for both sides currently.

Totally agree dougdirt. The Yankees have a pretty nasty rotation now: CC, Nova, Pineda.... I'll go to war with that.

Didn't someone have the inside scoop on this about a week ago or so? Interesting deal, hopefully Montero isn't an all hype Yankees prospect.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Didn't someone have the inside scoop on this about a week ago or so? Interesting deal, hopefully Montero isn't an all hype Yankees prospect.
    He seemed like a legit bat from the cup of coffee he had in 2011. In that regard, the Mariners took more of a gamble because there was a known commodity in Pineda vs. a somewhat unknown in Montero. Still, the Mariners have the pitching but looking at that team in various points in the season, their offense probably couldn't stack up to some AAA teams. They needed impact in the lineup.

I think Mariners got hosed in this deal. 22 years old, 3.47 ERA 1 year in the bigs, and they got 1 guy for him. Yankees win this deal BIG. This would be like us only giving up 1 guy for Latos.

The calculus kind of looks like an A and a B prospect for an A and B prospect...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I think Mariners got hosed in this deal. 22 years old, 3.47 ERA 1 year in the bigs, and they got 1 guy for him. Yankees win this deal BIG. This would be like us only giving up 1 guy for Latos.
    Have to wonder though, what if Montero turns out to be Miguel Cabrera part II? That is kind of the type of hitter he has been talked about.

Plus, the trade didn't happen within a vacuum. If different teams had made the same trade, it may have changed it some. Right now, I think the Yankees got the better of the deal, but it isn't by a lot and I still think it helps both teams.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Totally agree dougdirt. The Yankees have a pretty nasty rotation now: CC, Nova, Pineda.... I'll go to war with that.
    Nova is OK, but hardly nasty.

And a rotation is 5 pitchers not 3. And the Yankees lack 2/5ths of one.

Note: just saw the Yankees signed Kuroda Loking better to be sure.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 01-13-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Wow. Montero will help the Ms. With him gone the Yankees need a DH. Hideki back to the Bronx? How about Johnny Damon? Or maybe they go get Vlad?

Of course this is the Yankees we're talikng about. They can afford anyone they want. Maybe Prince Fielder is in their sites.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Nova is OK, but hardly nasty.

And a rotation is 5 pitchers not 3. And the Yankees lack 2/5ths of one.

Note: just saw the Yankees signed Kuroda Loking better to be sure.
    With the kind of offense the Yankees have, pitcher 4-5 are kind of not a huge concern. Yeah, they might give up 4-6 runs in those 4th and 5th spot but at the same time, they will score about 7 runs for those pitchers. I exaggerate of course but that is the one team in baseball where the 4th and 5th pitchers are kind of non-factors.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    With the kind of offense the Yankees have, pitcher 4-5 are kind of not a huge concern. Yeah, they might give up 4-6 runs in those 4th and 5th spot but at the same time, they will score about 7 runs for those pitchers. I exaggerate of course but that is the one team in baseball where the 4th and 5th pitchers are kind of non-factors.
    Well, now Kuroda's in the rotation too. Freddie Garcia, AJ Burnett & Phil Hughes battling it out for the 5th spot? That's some high-end talent for the freakin' fifth starter. Good grief.

Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, and pick 'em. That's pretty darned good.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 01-13-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The calculus kind of looks like an A and a B prospect for an A and B prospect...
    That's not how I see it. They got hosed. And it seems to go against your previous expectations/viewpoint of Pineda...

Like this...

Unless the reds could at least equal the Latos price, they'd have no chance to get Pineda.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...da#post2513686

And this...

Yonder isn't enough to get Pineda....
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...da#post2506824

Pineda is not a creation of Safeco. He'd tear up GABP too especially since he'd get to face pitchers. There is room for growth with his secondary offerings too.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...da#post2499207

There is really no reason to think Pineda is a 'one year wonder'.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...da#post2425346

So given that, the Mariners got fleeced here. I disagree with the idea that Montero and Pineda are both A-prospects. Pineda has at least done it at the Major League level. Montero is a guy who hasn't been consistent and there's questions whether his bat, which was partially lauded for being at a premium position, will excel at a corner spot.

This certainly isn't a Latos-like haul.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    That's not how I see it. They got hosed.
    Of course it's not how you see it but unfortunately for the fireman narrative it's to close to equal risk and equal upside going each way for adjectives like hosed...

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Yonder isn't enough for Pineda
    To be fair.... Montero has a lot more value than Yonder Alonso does. Montero is probably more valuable, rightly or wrongly, than Devin Mesoraco is.

Turn Off Ads?