Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 NHL discussion

Re: 2011-2012 NHL discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Do you think an NHL team would have been successful if it was originally placed in Cincy? Columbus seemed like a head scratcher at the time.
    No, I don't

They love minor league hockey, but the cost plays in to how much they love it too, in short not enough of a hockey town to pay NHL prices would be my
    Guess, I had seaon tickets to the Stingers in the 70s, and even then it was a hard sale as a game, Cincinnati is a huge college basketball town first in the winter, the interest isn't there too much in big time hockey.

That said I still think Columbus is not a hockey town either

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No, I don't

They love minor league hockey, but the cost plays in to how much they love it too, in short not enough of a hockey town to pay NHL prices would be my
    Guess, I had seaon tickets to the Stingers in the 70s, and even then it was a hard sale as a game, Cincinnati is a huge college basketball town first in the winter, the interest isn't there too much in big time hockey.

That said I still think Columbus is not a hockey town either
    The miserable home venues for the Stingers and the other minor-league teams in Cincinnati over the years plays a role in keeping attendance down.

US Bank Arena, particularly before The Banks, was an island in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do before or after games. Add in the long walks from riverfront surface lots at the time and it's no wonder people didn't go there to watch hockey. Heck, even when UC played there people stayed away. It's just a lousy venue.

And the Gardens is even worse. Way, way past its prime, it's located in a hard-to-get to part of the city, the parking situation is brutal, and the venue inside just isn't somewhere you want to be.

Give Cincinnati a palace like Nationwide Arena in Columbus and I think people would come. This is a corporate town, so the luxury boxes would definitely sell.

Look at most American cities that have the NHL outside of the northeast and Chicago and Minnesota: It's a tough sell if you don't win. Even Detroit, with its wildly successful franchise, has seen attendance slip slightly in recent years. So empty seats at a Cincinnati NHL arena wouldn't be indicative of non-support, it would reflect what we see in most U.S. cities for lackluster teams.

Yesterday the Blue Jackets traded center Antoine Vermette to the Pheonix Coyotes for a 2nd and 5th pick in this draft and a minor league goalie. Not a blockbuster by any stretch, but could be the start of the rebuilding process.

I don't think Columbus was a hockey town to start, but it is moving that way. While it will never compete with Ohio State Football, it is clearly the #2 sport, even ahead of OSU mens basketball. The arena may be a big part of that draw, but the Jackets do have a growing fan base. I had worried that the NHL would move the team up north due to the teams lack of success. Attendance is better than a lot of teams, teams that are competitive. But the recent performance of the team has caused attendance to shink a bit. If the Jackets play their cards right with this rebuilding phase, they could build a really good young team. If they don't play their cards right... they could lose the fans. I have lived in both Cincy and Columbus, and in my opinion Columbus is the much better "hockey town."
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Yesterday the Blue Jackets traded center Antoine Vermette to the Pheonix Coyotes for a 2nd and 5th pick in this draft and a minor league goalie. Not a blockbuster by any stretch, but could be the start of the rebuilding process.

I don't think Columbus was a hockey town to start, but it is moving that way. While it will never compete with Ohio State Football, it is clearly the #2 sport, even ahead of OSU mens basketball. The arena may be a big part of that draw, but the Jackets do have a growing fan base. I had worried that the NHL would move the team up north due to the teams lack of success. Attendance is better than a lot of teams, teams that are competitive. But the recent performance of the team has caused attendance to shink a bit. If the Jackets play their cards right with this rebuilding phase, they could build a really good young team. If they don't play their cards right... they could lose the fans. I have lived in both Cincy and Columbus, and in my opinion Columbus is the much better "hockey town."

I don't know what the NHL's policy towards moving teams is, really. Gary Bettman and his overall "genius" nature is all over the map on this issue. They will fight tooth and nail to keep a franchise in Phoenix with no little fan base. Yet Blues fans, who are one of the more loyal fan bases in the NHL, are pulling hair out of their head at the constant struggle for any ownership stability. Gary Bettman might be more incompetent than Bud Selig.

Also in Blue Jackets/NHL news the Jackets have traded center Jeff "whiny pants" Carter to the L.A. Kings for Defenseman Jack Johnson and a 1st round pick. R.J. Umberger or Rick Nash may be the next shoe to drop.
    Let's get weird!

The BJ's made out good on the LA deal.

I think so. But considering what we gave up to get Carter, we lost big time.
    Let's get weird!

Johnson is a stud, stud defense is harder to find than scorers

For the first time in Columbus Blue Jackets history we have a viable top 2 defensive pairing in Johnson and Wisnewski. Both are Americans by the way, not sure that means anything, but maybe it helps with on ice communication like it did with Tyutin, and Nikitin. Probably affects nothing, just a thought.
    Let's get weird!

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Sharks eyeing Nash and Carter.

BTW, here's another good stats-oriented hockey site.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

So glad that Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk are playing for the Blues, lol. Those two are only 22 but have skills light years above players their age.

So glad that Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk are playing for the Blues, lol. Those two are only 22 but have skills light years above players their age.
    While Shattenkirk was a nice player for Colorado, I'm beyond thrilled to have Erik Johnson and Jay McClement, who are playing lights out right now. I was a little leery last year when the trade was made, but both are playing very well. EJ is becoming a dominating player.

Chris Stewart just doesn't seem like he wants to take the next step, unfortunately.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

According to the New York Post’s Larry Brooks, Glen Sather “lusted” after Rick Nash but failed to convince Scott Howson to accept the Rangers’ final offer.

Columbus GM Scott Howson rejected what is believed a Rangers’ final offer of Dubinsky, 21-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon, 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller, 2010 second-rounder Christian Thomas and a first-round selection in this June’s Entry Draft.
    http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...for-rick-nash/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    If thats the true offer, then Howson should go ahead and be fired now. I know there are no superstar names going back to the Jackets, but they have to build something. That deal would have been a big step in that direction.
    Last edited by Joseph; 02-27-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    While Shattenkirk was a nice player for Colorado, I'm beyond thrilled to have Erik Johnson and Jay McClement, who are playing lights out right now. I was a little leery last year when the trade was made, but both are playing very well. EJ is becoming a dominating player.

Chris Stewart just doesn't seem like he wants to take the next step, unfortunately.
    Kevin Shattenkirk has been absolutely dominant this year with a +22, which is 6th amongst all D-men in the league. He might have been a nice player for Colorado but he is insanely good with the Blues.

Turn Off Ads?