Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 NHL discussion

Re: 2011-2012 NHL discussion

The NHL must be kicking themselves. If things continue, the Kings, Blues, Panthers, Senators, Flyers, Predators, Capitals, and Coyotes would advance. The Bruins, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Penguins, Canucks, Sharks, Rangers, and Devils would lose. Goodbye whatever meager playoff ratings the NHL would have gotten.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Great 3rd period by the Bues tonight. Turned that game around fast.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Great 3rd period by the Bues tonight. Turned that game around fast.
    That was awesome! Onto LA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The NHL must be kicking themselves. If things continue, the Kings, Blues, Panthers, Senators, Flyers, Predators, Capitals, and Coyotes would advance. The Bruins, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Penguins, Canucks, Sharks, Rangers, and Devils would lose. Goodbye whatever meager playoff ratings the NHL would have gotten.
    Excellent point Improbus.

NY, Boston, Chicago and Detroit are all fairly major markets to lose. Goodness knows Vancouver loves their Canucks, but it's pretty evident they are out soon. The Rangers still have a shot, the Hawks....maybe but I don't have a lot of faith.

How bad will the ratings be if its Nashville and Florida in the finals? Or Phoenix and Florida even more so....a team that has no support against a team that barely eeked into the playoffs. Yikes.

For hockey purposes we need a New York vs St Louis final [ie would be a great matchup]. For TV maybe NY vs LA?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    That was awesome! Onto LA!!!
    Yep, it's official, thanks to an impressive 3rd period and OT by LA tonight. Should be an interesting series with two good defensive teams.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Yep, it's official, thanks to an impressive 3rd period and OT by LA tonight. Should be an interesting series with two good defensive teams.
    Outside of the first meeting between the Blues/Kings, it was pretty even. I know the Kings are 3-1 but I believe two of those games were won in shootouts. You know how futile the Blues were in that area so the 3-1 record shouldn't be a gauge into how well they will do. It will be tight and I wouldn't be shocked if most of the games went into OT.

I picked the Caps on a gut feeling and they actually won.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I picked the Caps on a gut feeling and they actually won.
    Damn right. I liked the way this team played at the end of the season. Add that to the matchup with Boston (who they beat 3-1 in the reg. season series), the return of Nick Backstrom and less pressure than previous seasons due to lower expectations I really liked their chances.

But man was that a mentally exhausting series. All 7 games were decided by a goal (an NHL first) including 4 OT games.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Excellent point Improbus.

NY, Boston, Chicago and Detroit are all fairly major markets to lose. Goodness knows Vancouver loves their Canucks, but it's pretty evident they are out soon. The Rangers still have a shot, the Hawks....maybe but I don't have a lot of faith.

How bad will the ratings be if its Nashville and Florida in the finals? Or Phoenix and Florida even more so....a team that has no support against a team that barely eeked into the playoffs. Yikes.

For hockey purposes we need a New York vs St Louis final [ie would be a great matchup]. For TV maybe NY vs LA?
    The league survived a Edmonton / Carolina final in 2006, they'll survive... OT and game sevens help a bunch

Excellent first round. On to the second. Here are my picks:

Blues vs Kings: This might be the most evenly matched of all the remaining matchups. I wouldn't be shocked if all 7 games go to OT. While the Kings have the advantage in goaltending, I think the Blues are a bit better in the remaining areas. Blues in 7

Coyotes vs Predators: Could turn out to the be the most lopsided matchup of round two. I just can't see any way the Coyotes win this one. I like what Smith has done in net for the Yotes but Rinne is practically the patron saint of goalies. He's unbelievable. The Preds are better in almost every single aspect of the game. Preds in 5.

Rangers vs. Caps: I love the Caps and hope they win this series but I don't see it. The Holtby magic runs out. Rangers in 6

Flyers vs. Devils: The Flyers are the best remaining team in the East in my opinion. I feel this could be a shootout and the Flyers just have too much for the Devils to deal with. Flyers in 5.

Blues vs Kings: Tough series here. LA was hot late in the season, and the Blues were among the best all season [post Hitchcock hiring]. I wouldn't be shocked by either team winning, but I think its the Blues that has enough to get through. Blues in 6

Coyotes vs Predators: The wound is still raw, but the Yotes did a lot to impress in this series. Believe it or not Phoenix was better defensively as a team this season, so I'm going with them in 6.

Rangers vs. Caps: I still like the Rangers and what they are doing, but they had a tough go of it against the Sens who weren't all that impressive IMO. So that has me second guessing. I think this series could be a toss up, but I'll go out on a limb here and pick the Caps in 7.

Flyers vs. Devils: I think the Flyers might just win it all when its all done, but, still too early to tell. I think Flyers in 5 here, narrowly missing the sweep in overtime.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Per Rotoworld.

The City of Glendale should have a deal in place shortly to keep the Coyotes in Arizona.

The Coyotes are still owned by the NHL but Glendale has subsidized the team over the last three years to the tune of $25 million per season. A majority of the city council (four of seven) have agreed to a deal which would pay the new owners a fee for running the arena. The fee is expected to be $17 million next season, $20 million until 2017 and $15 million after that in a 20 year deal. Former owner Jerry Moyes asked the city to help out with $12.5 million before he went bankrupt, but Glendale refused. Former San Jose Sharks President Greg Jamison is looking to purchase the team and this incentive can only help. Stay tuned.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Definitely not sad to see St. Louis down 2-0 and heading to Staples Center. Let's go LA!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Definitely not sad to see St. Louis down 2-0 and heading to Staples Center. Let's go LA!
    &$@)!!!

The Blues embarrassed themselves and the city they play for. They should feel ashamed for that pitiful display they put on last night.

Turn Off Ads?