Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 NHL discussion

Re: 2011-2012 NHL discussion

Wings vs. Blues on National TV tonight. Should be fun. Blues are trying to get back on track after a couple of rough games and Detroit trying to get home ice advantage in the first round. It's going to be a physical game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Go Wings!!

Wings have been pretty banged up the past six weeks, they are in need of momentum, should be a dandy

That was a playoff type game. Very physical and a great atmosphere. I have no idea why the Blues are so horrible in shootouts this season. You can almost chalk it up to a loss everytime the Blues go into a shootout.

Well the playoff match-ups are set. It goes:

West:

Vancouver vs. LA
    St. Louis vs. San Jose
    Phoenix vs. Chicago
    Nashville vs. Detroit

East:

New York vs. Ottawa
    Boston vs. Washington
    Florida vs. New Jersey
    Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia

My picks for the first round:

LA over Vancouver in 6. LA is playing about as well as anyone now and I can see Vancouver wetting the bed in the first round, esp. if they don't have Daniel Sedin.

St. Louis over San Jose in 5. This is probably the best match for the Blues. I know the regular season shouldn't be a barometer to playoff success but the Blues have dominated the Sharks every time they faced them this year. I don't see the trend changing anytime soon.

Phoenix over Chicago in 7. Phoenix is playing excellent right now and their goaltender has turned into a late season nominee for the Vezina. My big question about Chicago is their goalie situation. If they were playing better in net, my choice would be different but Crawford is going to have to prove something to me before I can pick Chicago to win this series.

Nashville in 7. This is probably the second best match-up of the first round. I'm going back and fourth on this game. It's too close. If it's too close, I always pick home ice as the tie breaker. Could go either way though.

New York in 5. Ottawa took 3 of 4 against the Rangers this season so I think this could be a tight series. New York has the match-up advantage in defense and in goal. Though I see this being a tough series for the Rangers, I just can't see them being beaten.

Washington in 6. The Caps look like a whole different team with Nicklas Bäckström back from injury. While Boston does have them in edge when it comes to defense, Thomas has looked human this year. I could see this series going in Washington's favor if Ovi continues his hot hand. It's going to be close but I pick Washington.

New Jersey in 6. The Panthers are a great story but New Jersey is too good of a team. I also feel that Brodeur has more left in the tank and is out to prove the doubters wrong.

Pittsburgh in 6. This is by far the best match-up of the first round. I predict this will be the most physical series as well. In the end though, Pittsburgh has too many weapons. I really don't see anyone beating Pittsburgh in the East this season.

West:

Vancouver vs. LA
    *Vancouver in six. Bold to pick LA Mike, there is no doubt Jamie Quick is a Vezina candidate and I know as well as anyone a hot goalie can get a team to the Cup Finals, but Luongo is playing well too. Even without Sedin I don't expect a total flame out from the 1st seed.

St. Louis vs. San Jose
    *St Louis in 5. San Jose will get one, just because, but St Louis is a solid defense and puck control team and I don't see them losing to a team that barely eeked its way in.

Phoenix vs. Chicago
    *This series is predicated on one thing and one thing only I think, Jonathan Toews. If he plays the majority of the games Chicago wins. If he doesn't, then the Coyotes move on. So with JT, Hawks in 6, without, 'yotes in 5.

Nashville vs. Detroit
    *Good gosh Nashville has come a long way this season. I still hate the way their fans carry on, but I like the way the team plays. Still...its Detroit. The big guns might be making their last run as a group and it may well just be their year to go deep. Wings in 6.

East:

New York vs. Ottawa
    *King Henrik is what every team wishes they had in net this time of year. Gaborik is tough too, and I like their fire. Rangers in 5.

Boston vs. Washington
    *Ovechkin. That is all. Caps in 6.

Florida vs. New Jersey
    *Bring on the rats! I've got a friend who is a big Devils fan, and they are a good team, but I like Floridas grit. Dale Tallons put together a good group. Panthers in 7

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia
    *Best matchup in the first round. Sid the Kid is like Junior Griffey on ice. Can't help but love watching him. All said though, Flyers in 6 real tough games.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Joseph, I'm always going to be biased against Vancouver. I just can't stand that team and their fans, lol. Even if they are the odds on favorite to win it all, I can't bring myself to pick them. I'm letting you know from this day on that I will never pick Vancouver in a playoff series. Stupid yes, but I can't help it.

It all gets started tonight. Can't wait.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    It all gets started tonight. Can't wait.
    As Flounder said in Animal House

This is going to be great.

I love playoff hockey

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Joseph, I'm always going to be biased against Vancouver. I just can't stand that team and their fans, lol. Even if they are the odds on favorite to win it all, I can't bring myself to pick them. I'm letting you know from this day on that I will never pick Vancouver in a playoff series. Stupid yes, but I can't help it.
    Well, they're down a game. You never know. Looking forward to tonight.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Is anyone shocked that Weber wasn't given more than a fine for that hit?

Stunned.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Weber definitely caught a break from Zetterberg not being seriously injured. I'm sure he didn't appreciate Z blasting him from behind with two seconds left in the game but that's hockey. He'd best be on good behavior the rest of the playoffs.

That was a weird game in general -- the conventional wisdom seemed to be that Nashville had the advantage in special teams and Detroit the advantage at full strength, yet the Game 1 results were completely the opposite.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

2 game suspension.

Never mind, I had the wrong guy.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Some of those fans can't stand the team today too. Your perdiction may become true.

Double OT in St. Louis right now. This is a great game. Regardless if the Blues win or not, the whole "lack of playoff experience" factor that has been a knock against the Blues isn't rearing its ugly head. The Blues look as good and crisp as I have seen them in weeks.

Turn Off Ads?