Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 NHL discussion

Re: 2011-2012 NHL discussion

Joseph, as a Hawks fan, how do you feel about Kane? I don't want to start conflict here but he seems like a selfish player, on the outside looking in. The game in Nashville, it seemed that everytime he had the puck, instead of looking for open plays, he just shoots the puck and misses the net. Are you frustrated with his play?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Joseph, as a Hawks fan, how do you feel about Kane? I don't want to start conflict here but he seems like a selfish player, on the outside looking in. The game in Nashville, it seemed that everytime he had the puck, instead of looking for open plays, he just shoots the puck and misses the net. Are you frustrated with his play?
    Sure, absolutely I am frustrated with his play. I'll preface this by saying he's also one of my favorites too.

Anyway, to the frustration, he possesses some of the best talent in the NHL. He was a number one pick a few years back, number one overall, not just first round. But he just can't seem to put it together. He's a little guy for one thing, so his games not physical, he can't run a player over to get to the net, he relies on shooting and outskating, two things he can do sometimes, but doesn't do enough. That said, even when he does do it, its often times not in the context of the team. He's content to be selfish as you said. He'll get the puck blow past a couple guys and try to score. It doesn't work nearly enough to make it viable.

Kaners at his best when he's distributing the puck. When he skates by a couple guys, or gets set up on a wing and draws an extra defender, he needs to look to pass. Doing this is going to open him up to score moreso himself and it'll be win win for the Hawks.

I was sure he could be a 40 goal scorer, and it just hasn't happened yet so yes, I'm frustrated with his play this year especially. Lately, Nashville game aside, he's been doing more distributing of the puck and has looked better, but still....there needs to be some more improvement in the coming year.

Earlier this year there was talk of trading him for a goalie, I'm not sure I'm that opposed to that idea as much as I once would have been.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

So, I saw where some guy in the NHL was fined for slew-footing.

What's that?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So, I saw where some guy in the NHL was fined for slew-footing.

What's that?
    One player uses his foot to take out another player's skates, usually from behind. The other player usually falls backwards and can be badly hurt.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Sure, absolutely I am frustrated with his play. I'll preface this by saying he's also one of my favorites too.

Anyway, to the frustration, he possesses some of the best talent in the NHL. He was a number one pick a few years back, number one overall, not just first round. But he just can't seem to put it together. He's a little guy for one thing, so his games not physical, he can't run a player over to get to the net, he relies on shooting and outskating, two things he can do sometimes, but doesn't do enough. That said, even when he does do it, its often times not in the context of the team. He's content to be selfish as you said. He'll get the puck blow past a couple guys and try to score. It doesn't work nearly enough to make it viable.

Kaners at his best when he's distributing the puck. When he skates by a couple guys, or gets set up on a wing and draws an extra defender, he needs to look to pass. Doing this is going to open him up to score moreso himself and it'll be win win for the Hawks.

I was sure he could be a 40 goal scorer, and it just hasn't happened yet so yes, I'm frustrated with his play this year especially. Lately, Nashville game aside, he's been doing more distributing of the puck and has looked better, but still....there needs to be some more improvement in the coming year.

Earlier this year there was talk of trading him for a goalie, I'm not sure I'm that opposed to that idea as much as I once would have been.
    Not trading Kane. Seriously compile a list of guys who have equalled his point totals since he came into the league.

Then consider that lsit of guys are all older than Kane.

I agree his consistency is lacking, he has dry spells, and has been shot unlucky this year. Those are things he can work on. But what he has accomplished at his young age is matched by very few, not to mention with saalries escalating, he is a bargain on his current contract. Trading him for a goalie would be a collasol mistake. A decent goalie should be obtainable with the cap space in the upcoming offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Not trading Kane. Seriously compile a list of guys who have equalled his point totals since he came into the league.

Then consider that lsit of guys are all older than Kane.

I agree his consistency is lacking, he has dry spells, and has been shot unlucky this year. Those are things he can work on. But what he has accomplished at his young age is matched by very few, not to mention with saalries escalating, he is a bargain on his current contract. Trading him for a goalie would be a collasol mistake. A decent goalie should be obtainable with the cap space in the upcoming offseason.
    I would love to have him on the Blues but it just seems from afar that he is shelfish with the puck. If I was a Hawks fan, I would be frustrated. Still, the Hawks shouldn't give up on him because he is one of the most talented players in the league.

Also Joseph, it should be an amazing game tonight. The Blues have a chance with a regulation win or overtime/non-shootout win, to clinch the Central Division. The Hawks have a chance to clich a playoff birth with a win tonight and some other scenarios happening. This might be as physical of a game the Blues and Hawks will play all year. Wouldn't be surprised to see over 60 total hits in this game. Should be fun.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 03-29-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

The Blues were fortunate to steal a point there. I've seen them play better.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    The Blues were fortunate to steal a point there. I've seen them play better.
    I don't know what it is about playing in Chicago but they have not had real good success there the past couple of years. They can dominate the Hawks in St. Louis but going there, the Blues look like a different team.

That said, I did like the bounce back ability factor. They scored a goal, we scored one right back. That is one of the huge differences from this years team from teams in previous years.

Also, Pietrangelo still amazes me at his play at only age 22. I know Karlsson will probably win the Norris this year but Pietrangelo has to be in the conversation. His hockey skills and hockey sense is like someone who has been in the league for 10 years. He is an absolute wonder to watch.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 03-30-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Huge win for the Caps last night! Blew a 2-0 lead to the Bruins with under three minutes to go but win it in the shootout. Matt Hendricks completely undressed Tim Thomas in the shootout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=j5Dx8jBt85U

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Huge win for the Caps last night! Blew a 2-0 lead to the Bruins with under three minutes to go but win it in the shootout. Matt Hendricks completely undressed Tim Thomas in the shootout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=j5Dx8jBt85U
    HotCorner, I was looking at Ovi's stats and I find it amazing that people are saying he is having a down season. He has 36 goals and 27 assists. I guess it goes to show you how elite of a talent he is. He would probably also have better success on a team which the players around him are better. I would love to see what kind of points he would put up if he had centers like David Backes or Jonathan Toews.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    HotCorner, I was looking at Ovi's stats and I find it amazing that people are saying he is having a down season. He has 36 goals and 27 assists. I guess it goes to show you how elite of a talent he is. He would probably also have better success on a team which the players around him are better. I would love to see what kind of points he would put up if he had centers like David Backes or Jonathan Toews.
    Like Niklas Backstom......

Hi stats were really good with him at C.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Like Niklas Backstom......

Hi stats were really good with him at C.
    Bingo.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

It might be a bit much to call the St. Louis Blues “100 percent” healthy. That’s very much a relative term at this point in a grueling 82-game regular season.

Still, relatively speaking, Jeremy Rutherford points out that this the first time the Blues will enjoy their full roster’s strength since March 3 … 2010. That’s a whopping 160-game span.
    http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...years/related/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Three points separating Nashville, Detroit and Chicago in the Western 4-5-6 spots with four games to go. Technically speaking, the six seed catches a break by getting the Pacific winner, although those teams are no slouches. The 4-5 series is going to be a war. I wonder how much Radulov will help the Predators, since they have historically battled their way into the postseason but have been a bit short on firepower once they get there.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Three points separating Nashville, Detroit and Chicago in the Western 4-5-6 spots with four games to go. Technically speaking, the six seed catches a break by getting the Pacific winner, although those teams are no slouches. The 4-5 series is going to be a war. I wonder how much Radulov will help the Predators, since they have historically battled their way into the postseason but have been a bit short on firepower once they get there.
    Radulov is the real deal. Saw him in person last night. He's fast, he's agile, and he can shoot. Didn't see a lot of checking from him, but thats typical of a lot of Euro players.

I love the Hawks, but I don't want a lot to do with Nashville in the playoffs.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?