Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alfonso Soriano

Alfonso Soriano

Could he be an outfield option for the Reds? He is aging and is owed 54 million over the next 3 years but it is reported that the Cubs will eat most of that and he will waive his no trade to go to a contender. I would think he would consider the Reds a contender at this point in time. His WAR could should stay between 1.5 and 2 and his defensive WAR has actually been improving in recent years.

He isnt going to hit for a great average but he does have some pop in his bat and could probably be penciled in for 30 homers and 90 RBIs. He doesnt strike out a ton which is something needed in the outfield for the Reds.

I still likely Heisey but had just realized that he has a negative defensive WAR, while this is the area most believe he does so well in. Soriano would likely be a better all around replacement for left if you could get him without giving up to much in the deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alfonso Soriano

I don't want any part of Soriano regardless of how much salary the Cubs are willing to eat. He's a defensive disaster, and his offensive ability has seriously waned in recent years.

Heisey is a better option in pretty much every regard at this point in each of their careers. I also don't think that I would pay much attention to Heisey's defensive stats at this point. It takes 2-3 years of data for most defensive metrics to stabilize, and my eye tells me that Heisey has above average range and instincts for a corner OF. His arm is barely average and he is sometimes prone to an error or two, but overall, I think he has positive value as a corner OF defender despite what the metrics say.

I'd like to get an upgrade over Heisey if a significant one is out there to be had. I don't think Soriano is that guy. At this point, I think the Reds would be staisfied with just signing a bench guy like Drew and waiting until mid season to make a big pickup unless a huge opportunity presents itself prior to Spring Training.

We need to limit how many prior Cubs are on this team.....

I am just trying to think of options that might potentially be worth adding over Heisey. It is very difficult to do. My main hope is that Soto shows he can easily play left during April at AAA and continues to hit and get a may or june call up to play outfield and first. I think he may show to be a better prospect than Alonso in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by bah1286 View Post
    I am just trying to think of options that might potentially be worth adding over Heisey. It is very difficult to do. My main hope is that Soto shows he can easily play left during April at AAA and continues to hit and get a may or june call up to play outfield and first. I think he may show to be a better prospect than Alonso in the near future.
    What makes you think Soto will be playing left?

I want no part of Sorry-ah-no on this team. The Reds could not come close to paying his salary, he is a TERRIBLE defensive liability and his bat is so-so.

I'd take Heisey over Soriano all day any day. There isn't another option on the FA market who'd an upgrade over Heiseys potential. Sign a vet backup outfielder in the 2-3 million range and roll into spring training with it! Options could open up around the all star break if Heisey isn't cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by bah1286 View Post
    One thing that I've really liked about the Reds' off season so far is that they've only gone after players who represent a clear and significant upgrade. We can argue all we want about whether or not Jocketty overpaid a bit in a couple of deals, but the fact of the matter is that he went out and acquired the best available starting pitcher and two shutdown relievers.

If the Reds are comfortable with Heisey starting and want to sign a couple of value guys for depth, I'm okay with that. If they're still looking for a starter to play ahead of Heisey, then I would like for the focus to remain the same in the Reds' pursuit of that player. If the guy isn't a clear upgrade, then he isn't worth pursuing at all.

Rather have Carlos Lee.

Rather have almost anybody.
    Last edited by CWRed; 01-14-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: misspell

If they could get Byrd I'd like that but Soriano is like manny to me. Just say no

Turn Off Ads?