Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Would you trade for Felix Hernandez?

Would you trade for Felix Hernandez?

After the Pineda deal, my question for you is would you trade for Felix Hernandez?

Here are my parameters for you with the question.
    Assumption 1) Mariners are open to the conversation with a target of winning again in 2014.
    Assumption 2) Reds are going for it in 2012
    Assumption 3) Reds have <5M in payroll left for 2012
    Assumption 4) Felix makes 18.5, 19.5 and 20M over next 3 years.

So please answer, would you consider a) trading for Felix and b) what would you offer?

My answers, YES and Felix and 6M for Arroyo (12M), Hamilton (SS), Stephenson (SP), Rodriguez (OF), Phipps (OF), Garrett (P) and get Cast to go slightly overbudget to make it happen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you trade for Felix Hernandez?

I would make that trade in a second, but the Mariners would not.

Sure I would do that but that's a laughable proposal. Arroyo has negative trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Sure I would do that but that's a laughable proposal. Arroyo has negative trade value.
    Plus Stephenson and Garrett both signed at the deadline in August. They can't be dealt until this coming August. Even if they can be PTBNL, I doubt the M's would want two top pitching prospects under Reds control for seven more months. And what would happen if one or both were injured.

I can't imagine the Reds having any comination of tradablle chips that would interest the M/s in dealing us Felix after our prospect-spending spree over the last month. Chapman, Bruce and Mes? Even if that worked (which I doubt), why would you need him if there was no offense behind him?

Besides, there are probably at least a half dozen clubs out there that could/would put together better packages. I'd be happy at this point signing Oswalt for a year and then landing Cespedes (that ain't happening either though).

If that trade were available, I'd do it before you could blink. But the Mariners supposedly weren't willing consider a Felix trade that would have netted them Montero, Dellin Betances and Manny Banueloes. This offer doesn't come close to that. Rarely do teams trade value for volume. A guy like Phipps who has 4th OF upside has very little trade value -- every organization has a guy or 3 just like him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It fits into the category of won't happen because of Hernandez salary the next 3 years.

Who wouldn't want him though?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    My answers, YES and Felix and 6M for Arroyo (12M), Hamilton (SS), Stephenson (SP), Rodriguez (OF), Phipps (OF), Garrett (P) and get Cast to go slightly overbudget to make it happen.
    I think I can predict a consensus Mariners response:

Laugh harder - YouTube
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

A trade for Felix would probably look something like Bruce, Leake, Hamilton and maybe someone else.

Maybe they would consider Votto for Felix. That's about what it would take, IMO.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    After the Pineda deal, my question for you is would you trade for Felix Hernandez?

Here are my parameters for you with the question.
    Assumption 1) Mariners are open to the conversation with a target of winning again in 2014.
    Assumption 2) Reds are going for it in 2012
    Assumption 3) Reds have <5M in payroll left for 2012
    Assumption 4) Felix makes 18.5, 19.5 and 20M over next 3 years.

So please answer, would you consider a) trading for Felix and b) what would you offer?

I would love to get Felix but I don't think we would have the pieces in order to even get our foot in the door. If you say we only have ~6 mil trading Bronson makes sense but all of his defered money comes due up front doesn't it? Plus after the year he had like others have said he has negative value.

It's part of the reason why I was hoping to save Grandal for a 2nd deal and used Hamilton/Alonso as a cornerstone of one blockbuster. We don't have the premier bats that Seattle would require unless you're saying that we could trade Votto and/or Bruce for Felix because that is what I think they would require. We're not talking about a low service time starter here, Felix has been a premier arm for the past 5 years.

There is no way Seattle takes the PR hit trading Felix unless they get the likewise premier mvp caliber hitter in return and probably plus MORE.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The Reds will always pursue guys like Latos who are young and in control for many years. Pineda fit the bill.

Turn Off Ads?