Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why all the LF talk?

Why all the LF talk?

We have a LF, his name is Chris Heisey. The kid deserves a chance to prove he can be an everyday LF.. Last year he hit .271 vs RHP with 17 HR and 41 RBI, but he struggled a bit against LHP hitting only .191 with 1 HR and 9 RBI. Only had 61 AB's vs LHP, so that sample size is way to small to draw a conclusion that he cannot hit LHP. In the minors he hit LHP without a problem, so I have faith in Heisey to have a big time year.

Also I believe Todd Frazier can be more than servicable in LF, which according to many in the Reds organization LF is Frazier's best position. Frazier only had 25 AB's vs LHP last year in the bigs and I realize that is also a small sample size but he hit .360 with 1 HR and 4 RBI, so if need be I think a Heisey/Frazier platoon would be ideal, if Heisey cannot cut it as an everyday player. It would be cheaper and it would allow the Reds to pocket the remaining 8 M until the deadline or to put towards extensions. Also it would be wise for the Reds to use Frazier's versatility to play anywhere.

And on days that Stubbs needs a day off, you can slide Heisey to CF and use J Francisco in LF. The Reds said they need an OF that can hit RHP, and he hit .279 with 3 HR and 14 RBI last year vs RHP. Plus he has been raking in the Winter League, I expect a big year from Juan as well.

So basically I want the Reds to stay away from Ludwick, Ankiel, Ross, etc..
    And roll with the combination of Heisey, Frazier and Francisco in LF. They will get the job done. NO need to waste money on retreads when they CLEARLY are not upgrades. I think Phipps can and will surprise people this year, he is a late bloomer who didn't start playing baseball till he was 18.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why all the LF talk?

I think the talk is because there are only 4 OF on the 40 man roster. 3 are for sure to be in MLB and the 4th would be better off to have another year under his belt in the minors. That leaves us with little wiggle room in the event of an injury. The LF talk is to acquire some depth for the position. Besides heisey is not yet proving to be anything more then a PH/Backup type guy so there needs to be a security blanket.

I understand the fact that we only have 4 OF on the 40 man, but I feel Frazier should be considered the 5th. I wouldn't mind if Walt signed a few bargain bin OF's for depth and insurance reasons to stash away at AAA, but not any players that would take a spot on the 25 man. We will see, I am sure it will be Ludwick or Ankiel though, considering being familiar with Jocketty. And Frazier will start in AAA

Todd Fraizer and Fransisco hasn't proved they can stick either and to depend on an unknown is not something a team with contending aspirations does.

The problem as it currently stands is Heisey is the starting LF, backup CF and backup RF and since Phipps is likely to start in Louisville and neither Frazier or Francisco can play anything but LF the Reds have to get some insurance.

we said same thing for janish last year. o wait he failed

I'm on board with Heisey having a larger role but your sample size didn't include 2010 with the Reds. Adding '10 & '11 together he batted .180 with a .248 OBP vs LHP in 150 AB's. Against RHP he had 330 AB's, batting .288 with .346 OBP. He would be a great bat to have in the lineup against rightys which is where the lineup has had problems the last couple of years. I have zero confidence that Baker will maximize the lineups however.

I think with all the big moves that have been made this off season Reds fans have gotten a bit greedy. I think that's actually a good thing since it gets the fanbase excited about potential moves and improving the team's odds of winning. To that end, most fans realize that LF has been an offensive black hole since Dunn was traded a few years back.

I think Heisey could do a decent job out there, but he's far from a sure bet. Since that spot has been a problem for so long, I think fans want to see the team acquire a clear upgrade instead of watching them throw out retreads and middling prospects and hoping someone sticks.

I personally don't want to see the Reds make a trade for a LF unless he is a clear upgrade over Heisey. Otherwise, I'd be satisfied signing a veteran backup and seeing where Heisey is at mid season.

Personally I agree and of all the signings the reds made this offseason this is by far the one I like the least. I think they needed someone who can play all 3 spots on any given day as a pure back up. I mean seriously what team uses their starter at one outfield spot as a backup for the other two? You don't do that that is why you have a backup like a dewayne wise or fukudome who plays all three spots so you are t shifting around a starter.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I think that you always look to upgrade a position. Ludwick, at least I think, could be an upgrade. Even if he has a so so year he is about as productive as Heisey. Heisey is a very good back up and thrives in that role. When he has been given a chance to start fairly regularly he didn't seize the moment. In GABP I think Ludwick should do pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I think that you always look to upgrade a position. Ludwick, at least I think, could be an upgrade. Even if he has a so so year he is about as productive as Heisey. Heisey is a very good back up and thrives in that role. When he has been given a chance to start fairly regularly he didn't seize the moment. In GABP I think Ludwick should do pretty good.
    Heisey didnt seize his chance to start? Thats a joke considering he never really got one. Ludwick hit below .250, heisey hit .270. ludwick is a below average fielder, heisey is above average in all 3 outfield spots. Ludwick is at best a 20 hr guy, heisey had 17 in around 1/2 the at bats ludwick got. Ludwick has average speed, heisey could steal 25 bags in the right spot. Ludwick is 30 something and declining, heisey is 27 and in the prime of his career. Someone tell me why ludwick should start again?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Whoa man...I just said he could be an upgrade. Most of Heisey's numbers came as a pinch hitter. I don't know the exact numbers, but it seemed to me watching games last year that when Heisey would start a few games in a row, it wasn't good. I just think he is better off the bench. Let them battle it out during spring training and whoever comes out on top starts. I'm all for that. I just want whoever gives the Reds the best chance to win to play, Heisey or Ludwick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    Heisey didnt seize his chance to start? Thats a joke considering he never really got one. Ludwick hit below .250, heisey hit .270. ludwick is a below average fielder, heisey is above average in all 3 outfield spots. Ludwick is at best a 20 hr guy, heisey had 17 in around 1/2 the at bats ludwick got. Ludwick has average speed, heisey could steal 25 bags in the right spot. Ludwick is 30 something and declining, heisey is 27 and in the prime of his career. Someone tell me why ludwick should start again?
    Toothpick will say so. The worst part about this signing is that it puts Stubbs in center for 140+ games batting against RHP against which his numbers are Gomes-like. Heisey will only get minimal time in center. In addition Stubby will have to bat one or two by default unless the toothpick sticks the rook up there. While Cozart might be fine batting second for the season, I wouldn't want to hinge the offense on him being the answer. I'd be more than fine with Hanigan batting in the #2 spot since he has a career OBP of .371 and handles the bat well but Duncey won't even consider it.

Cozart should have protection on both sides as long as Brandon continues to hit lead off and Votto stays in the three spot so I have no question he'll thrive there.

Turn Off Ads?