Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Dioner Navarro

Reds sign Dioner Navarro

The Reds signed catcher Dioner Navarro to a minor league deal, according to the team's Twitter feed. Navarro, 28 in February, will provide veteran depth after catching tandem Devin Mesoraco and Ryan Hanigan.

Navarro hit .193/.276/.324 in 202 plate appearances for the Dodgers last year, catching 428 innings.

per MLBTR and Tim Dierkes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Dioner Navarro

does this indicate a trade potential for Ryan Hannigan?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    does this indicate a trade potential for Ryan Hannigan?
    Likely not, just depth in case we have an injury, or Messoraco can't cut it..

Navarro could always take a walk.

For a Level Playing Field

We oughta nickname him CORKY.

Good move by Walt. We could use one more piece of catching depth for AAA with MLB experience, and Navarro fits the bill.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Probably just adding depth.

Speaking of Reds catchers, I got to talk to Tucker Barnhart at my son's hitting pratice on Saturday. What a nice young man. He was teaching a catching class. Hope to see him in Cincinnati some day. He said he would be on the West Virginia leg of the Reds Caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Probably just adding depth.

Speaking of Reds catchers, I got to talk to Tucker Barnhart at my son's hitting pratice on Saturday. What a nice young man. He was teaching a catching class. Hope to see him in Cincinnati some day. He said he would be on the West Virginia leg of the Reds Caravan.
    Seems like a pretty nice guy from what I read on Twitter as well. Take it FWIW, but that's all I got.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Seems like a pretty nice guy from what I read on Twitter as well. Take it FWIW, but that's all I got.

-Matt
    He's from here in Brownsburg, IN where I live now.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Sign Dioner Navarro
    By Tim Dierkes [January 16 at 2:33pm CST]
    The Reds signed catcher Dioner Navarro to a minor league deal, according to the team's Twitter feed. He'll earn $800K plus $200K in incentives in the bigs, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Navarro, 28 in February, will provide veteran depth after catching tandem Devin Mesoraco and Ryan Hanigan. He's represented by MDR Sports Management.

Good depth signing. Plus you never know, maybe his bat could come back to life.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Reds catchers who spent more than 50% of their time in AA/AAA last season with the Reds who will be returning to the minors in 2012: Corky Miller, Kevin Coddington. And Coddington got all of 140 at bats in Carolina due to ineffectiveness at the start of the year and then backing up Grandal when he got back to Carolina after crushing the ball in Bakersfield. The Reds have added a few guys to the catching ranks through free agency to help bolster that lack of depth.

I can't believe Navarro is only 28. It seems like forever ago when he was one of the most highly-touted prospects in baseball -- a blue-chipper sent to the Dodgers as part of the package that brought Randy Johnson to the Yankees and Shawn Green to the D-Backs.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Who's number 3 on the depth chart -- Navarro or Corky?
    Where we gonna go?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Who's number 3 on the depth chart -- Navarro or Corky?
    It would have to be Corky IMO. He's at least familiar with the staff. Neither have shown any stick to write home about.

Nothing to see here... Check out the Louisville roster. I expect a few more moves like this in order for the Bats to field a full team...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?