Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Ownership Questions/Advice

Home Ownership Questions/Advice

So I just bought a house. 1500 sq ft, 3 level, in Bexley, an inner ring suburb of Columbus with good schools. Honestly could see myself living here satisfied the rest of my life, I like it that much.

That being said, I've always rented, and haven't paid any attention to maintenance or anything in the past, since it was never my house. I'd like to do things right now, so I'm wondering what advice people might have here on RedsZone.

I've bought a couple of Black and Decker home books:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...00_i00_details
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

But I'm wondering about general checklists, things to watch for, and anything people might want to pass on that they wished they had known when they first bought a house.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Home Ownership Questions/Advice

What year was the house built? A lot can depend on that.

My house is about 7 years old and I have noticed that the toilets are starting to break down. That has been really my only issue with the house so far.

Also make sure that your roof drains all drain away from your house and don't pool which could lead to water in your basement.

House was built in 1939. Roof was new in 2008 and good gutters, home inspection did say one gutter could use an extended downspout, which I will take care of soon.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

If I ever moved back to Columbus Bexley would be one of the first places I looked. Beautiful community; I hope you love it!

Congrats!

Since I am sure you got a home inspection report before you bought the house I would say any potential big house maintenance problems you may have don't exist. I am very familiar with those reports and they don't miss much.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Roof, windows, and HVAC are the big ticket items. If your house was inspected, they should be OK. Keep an eye on the roof. Caulk your windows. Replace filters in the HVAC. Consider getting a maintenance contract on it. Find out who a good HVAC firm is in your area before you need them.

Explore around the house extensively with a flashlight. Make sure you know where the water shutoff valve is, where the breaker box is. Look around in the attic and the crawl spaces. Looks for any kind of trouble spots (leaks, holes, critters, etc.) so you don't get surprised.

Start small with indoor stuff. Painting rooms, maybe wallpaper, learn how to replace faucets, replace light fixtures. Expand from there. Lots of books on all this. Find out where a good local hardware store is. Get to know the guys there. You will spend time and money there eventually.

Cut your grass. Plant some flowers. Your neighbors will love you for it. Put a bird feeder out (cheap entertainment). Get to know your neighbors.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Buy a shovel and a rake.

And a snow shovel and a bag of de-icer so you don't kill yourself when the driveway glazes over with ice.

Buy a toolkit with hammer, saw, screwdrivers, tape measure, assorted nails and screws.

Get a couple flashlights. Keep one in your nightstand. Buy some candles.

Consider getting a hand-crank radio for when the power goes out. Think about a portable generator if you have spare money (haha, a homeowner with spare money, that's rich).

If you have a garage door opener, know how to unhook it when the power goes out. Otherwise you can't get your car in/out.

Prune your trees. Know when brush pickup is.

Wave to your mailman and garbage guy and say hi so the mail person will bring your mail to the door if it doesn't fit in the mailbox and the garbage man will put lids back on your cans.

Don't tell the neighbor kids to get off your lawn. Otherwise your windows will get soaped.

Vote.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

That's one helluva list your wife has made out for you Roy.

Actually, the only universal tool he really needs is duct tape!

It usually takes the extra wide to cover the wife's entire mouth when she starts going off on her to-do list.

Oh yeah... if you have a furnace, check the filters too.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For home maintenance, yes, invest in a couple of books you can use if the power goes out. For regular stuff, youtube is your best friend. You can find dozens of videos explaining how to do everything.

Change your locks. Add deadbolts and plates if you don't already have them.

For the flashlight you keep by in your nightstand, invest in one of those giant, 10-pound maglights that put out a billion lumens.

Get a wet/dry shop vac. You will use it when your basement floods, or when a pipe breaks.

Get a 2-step stool, a 6-foot ladder, and an extension ladder long enough to allow you to reach into the gutters or hang Christmas lights. Don't worry about climbing onto the roof -- just don't ever do that yourself.

Clean the dryer exhaust, at least from the outside. Tons of lint gets stuck in there.

Contract with an HVAC company. Schedule time in the early spring to have them check your AC, and time in the early fall to have them check your furnace.

Invest in good furnace filters, and replace them as often as recommended. The cheap ones don't work well enough.

Paint, wallpaper, re-carpet, etc. right now, before you get fully unpacked. I know it's a hassle, and you want to get settled in, but it's a million times more difficult to do it later. Now is the best time.

Get room-darkening, insulated drapes. They really reduce your heating/cooling bills.

Buy high-quality tools, especially a powerful cordless drill/screwdriver.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 01-16-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Oh yeah. And most importantly, before you start playing the handyman, make sure you have these two items handy....

REMEMBER..... stop, drop, and roll!

On a serious note, and as far as tools go, I'd start out very basic even though you may be tempted, being a new homer, to go hog wild.

Get a a basic set of combo wrenches and ratchet/socket set, pliers, screwdriver set, hammer, drill.

If you buy it all at once then you won't have an excuse, in the middle of a project, to stop and make a Lowes run (take the road that has a pub on the way).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Owners manuals and how-to books are for suckers. C'mon, where that's adventurous spirit men? Be bold and daring, and not afraid to go where no man has gone before! If you have pieces left over that's what that Folgers can on the work bench shelf is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Buy a shovel and a rake.

And a snow shovel and a bag of de-icer so you don't kill yourself when the driveway glazes over with ice.

Buy a toolkit with hammer, saw, screwdrivers, tape measure, assorted nails and screws.

Get a couple flashlights. Keep one in your nightstand. Buy some candles.

Consider getting a hand-crank radio for when the power goes out. Think about a portable generator if you have spare money (haha, a homeowner with spare money, that's rich).

If you have a garage door opener, know how to unhook it when the power goes out. Otherwise you can't get your car in/out.

Prune your trees. Know when brush pickup is.

Wave to your mailman and garbage guy and say hi so the mail person will bring your mail to the door if it doesn't fit in the mailbox and the garbage man will put lids back on your cans.

Don't tell the neighbor kids to get off your lawn. Otherwise your windows will get soaped.

Vote.
    Get at least two fire extinguishers, by a hacksaw and WD40 start a rag box you'll need them, stud finders are nice and learn as much about plumbing as you can

My house is 108 years old, the older a house is the easier it is to understand how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    For home maintenance, yes, invest in a couple of books you can use if the power goes out. For regular stuff, youtube is your best friend. You can find dozens of videos explaining how to do everything.

Change your locks. Add deadbolts and plates if you don't already have them.

For the flashlight you keep by in your nightstand, invest in one of those giant, 10-pound maglights that put out a billion lumens.

Get a wet/dry shop vac. You will use it when your basement floods, or when a pipe breaks.

Get a 2-step stool, a 6-foot ladder, and an extension ladder long enough to allow you to reach into the gutters or hang Christmas lights. Don't worry about climbing onto the roof -- just don't ever do that yourself.

Clean the dryer exhaust, at least from the outside. Tons of lint gets stuck in there.

Contract with an HVAC company. Schedule time in the early spring to have them check your AC, and time in the early fall to have them check your furnace.

Invest in good furnace filters, and replace them as often as recommended. The cheap ones don't work well enough.

Paint, wallpaper, re-carpet, etc. right now, before you get fully unpacked. I know it's a hassle, and you want to get settled in, but it's a million times more difficult to do it later. Now is the best time.

Get room-darkening, insulated drapes. They really reduce your heating/cooling bills.

Buy high-quality tools, especially a powerful cordless drill/screwdriver.

I agree with most of what Johnny said. 2 exceptions.

Buy the cheap furnace filters, the expensive ones have caused me extra HVAC repairs as they tend to limit airflow and wear down your units quicker. With an old house your airflow most likely won't be effecient with adequate return air.

Buy either cheap or good tools, cheap to learn on, good once you know you want it.

http://www.ahs.com/homeowners/

Home warranty. I have friends that swear by this. I haven't done it myself, but i am considering it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?