Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rockies offer Moyer minor league contract

Re: Rockies offer Moyer minor league contract

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I was in a bar the other night watching the Giants and Pirates and talking to this kid sitting next to me. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle came out to the mound. I said to the kid, "is that Clint Hurdle? Damn, he's old now. I remember watching him play".

The kid said "wow", unsarcastically. It was like I was talking about Walter Johnson. Little punk.
    Heck, I remember Hurdle as the next big thing as a Royals rookie. Tell that punk he'll be old someday too.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Congrats to Moyer. Hope he gets 300 somehow. Not gonna happen, but cool.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'd just like to see him pitch at the age of 50!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I read a stat from Buster Olney's blog today on espn.com that said Jamie Moyer has faced 8% of all major league hitters in baseball history.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    It's not impossible. I agree, it's unlikely, but if he gets 12 wins this year, gets maybe 10-12 next year...then he's not too far off the following year. A lot of hyoptheticals, I know.

Heard a phone-in interview with Moyer a couple years ago and the host asked him what he was doing. He said his son was driving him to the ballpark. Made me chuckle.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 04-19-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

LHP Jamie Moyer, 49, became the oldest player in major-league history to record an RBI, according to Elias Sports Bureau, when he hit a two-run infield single Wednesday. It was just the second two-RBI game of Moyer's career; the other came June 18, 2004, at Pittsburgh while he was with the Mariners. At 49 years, 180 days, Moyer broke the record of former teammate Julio Franco, who was 155 days younger when he registered the last of his 1,194 RBI.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I didn't see this the other day in Jaime Ramsey's blog when we faced Moyer, but I saw it today and it's just stunning to see IMO.

This is Moyer's first game against the Reds. Look at the names in those lineups. LOL. HoF'ers, Managers, ex-managers, etc. It just really puts his career into perspective for me.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I didn't see this the other day in Jaime Ramsey's blog when we faced Moyer, but I saw it today and it's just stunning to see IMO.

This is Moyer's first game against the Reds. Look at the names in those lineups. LOL. HoF'ers, Managers, ex-managers, etc. It just really puts his career into perspective for me.
    2 dead umpires to.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    2 dead umpires to.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Just quite a bit to take in from that one little box score.

Moyer looked like a 49 year old man trying to pitch in the major leagues Sunday and has no business doing so. If the Reds were doing this sideshow, I'd ask for anyone's head that made the decision. All he proved is that hitting a baseball is hard just by the fact that he can get anybody out.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

Hmmmm...how many degrees away is Moyer from the turn of the 20th century?

So far I've gotten Moyer pitching to Tony Perez. And in 1965, Tony Perez faced a 44 year old Warren Spahn (pitching for the Mets). I tried to find a game where Spahn would have faced Ott, but it looks like Ott didn't play much late in his career. Not sure who else was old when Spahn was young.

Also have to think Moyer will face Bryce Harper at some point.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    2 dead umpires to.
    I know McSherry is dead. Who is the other one?

Not to be too flippant but that had to be the heftiest umpring crew on record. McSherry and Gregg were two very large men.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Eric Gregg, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Moyer looked like a 49 year old man trying to pitch in the major leagues Sunday and has no business doing so. If the Reds were doing this sideshow, I'd ask for anyone's head that made the decision. All he proved is that hitting a baseball is hard just by the fact that he can get anybody out.
    I can't see him lasting much longer. I think this is the end of the line for him. I believe the Rockies have a pitcher or two on the DL. Once they come off that I believe he will get his release.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?