Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlon Byrd suspended for PED use

Marlon Byrd suspended for PED use

Byrd has been suspended 50 games for use of Tamoxifen, an estrogen receptor inhibitor best known for treating estrogen-dependent breast cancers but often abused by weight lifters in order to manage steroid levels.

Dave Cameron suggests it didn't help Byrd much and this may lead to controversy as DC suggests Byrd may choose to go down fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cameron;
    Those don’t sound like words that come from a guy who is just going to take his suspension and go quietly into the night. If you like public spatting about drug testing, grab some popcorn, because I’d imagine you’re probably in for a show.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marlon Byrd suspended for PED use

Hanging around Conte and BALCO probably won't do his public perception much good, either. If he was innocent, then he should have been much, much, much more careful with what he put in his body.

Oops.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

These excuses these losers come up are comical.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    These excuses these losers come up are comical.
    What excuse has Byrd given?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    What excuse has Byrd given?
    Byrd denied that he used Tamoxifen for performance-enhancing purposes, however. In a statement released by the MLB Players Association, Byrd claimed that, several years ago, he underwent surgery to fix a condition "private and unrelated to baseball." When the unnamed condition relapsed over the winter, Byrd said, he began taking Tamoxifen.

"I made an inexcusable mistake," Byrd said in the statement. "Although that medication is on the banned list, I absolutely did not use it for performance enhancement reasons.

"I am mortified by my carelessness and I apologize to everyone who loves this game as I do. I will serve my suspension, continue to work hard and hope that I am given an opportunity to help a club win later this season."

A few random thoughts on this matter.

1.) If he was innocent, and it was taken for a medical issue, why didn't he apply for a waiver with MLB?

2.) Looking up on wikipedia, the main reason that it's prescribed in the first place is for breast cancer. (It can be prescribed for bi-polar, but, well.. yeah, I'm sure there's better medication out there for it.)
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

He's right, he didn't use IT for performance enhancement, he used it to mask his steroids levels. That, or he's got a case of breath cancer he's hiding.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

While rare, men can get breast cancer and it's a bad thing because no one is looking for it, its not found until it's too late.

Much more common, however, is gynecomastia. Anti-estrogens are valid treatment for this condition in men.

I'm not saying that is why he took Tamoxifen, but it certainly is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Byrd denied that he used Tamoxifen for performance-enhancing purposes, however. In a statement released by the MLB Players Association, Byrd claimed that, several years ago, he underwent surgery to fix a condition "private and unrelated to baseball." When the unnamed condition relapsed over the winter, Byrd said, he began taking Tamoxifen.
    Perhaps he got the same surgery as Dr. Richard Raskind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

While rare, men can get breast cancer and it's a bad thing because no one is looking for it, its not found until it's too late.

Much more common, however, is gynecomastia. Anti-estrogens are valid treatment for this condition in men.

Gynecomestia almost always occurs at the onset of puberty in genuine cases. Aren't man boobs a side effect of steroids as well? Wow, what a coincidence....

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

For a Level Playing Field

What we have here is a dying breed, folks. A person who vehemently refuses to believe anyone in professional sports (namely MLB on this site) takes or has taken PEDs. Even when they fail a test, this dying breed will still take the side of innocence. Might be breast cancer. Sure there is a very slim possibility that Byrd has breat cancer or Manny Ramirez wants kids. There is also a very good chance that these test-failers are trying to get an edge and are cheating the game we love.

I tend to lean toward Jose Canseco more than the dying breed. Common sense makes me feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    What we have here is a dying breed, folks. A person who vehemently refuses to believe anyone in professional sports (namely MLB on this site) takes or has taken PEDs. Even when they fail a test, this dying breed will still take the side of innocence. Might be breast cancer. Sure there is a very slim possibility that Byrd has breat cancer or Manny Ramirez wants kids. There is also a very good chance that these test-failers are trying to get an edge and are cheating the game we love.

I tend to lean toward Jose Canseco more than the dying breed. Common sense makes me feel that way.
    Please stop it already. That in no way accurately sums the many posts I've penned on this issue.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Don't take this to a personal level, please. Qualify the argument, if you will, but not the poster.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

For a Level Playing Field

Please stop it already. That in no way accurately sums the many posts I've penned on this issue.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree. IMO you are a very knowledgable baseball person. I am disgusted by PEDs in baseball. I feel no sympathy towards those who fail... whether by choice or by some "innocent" (stupid) mistake. You consistently take the other side. That is fine as this board is driven by opinion. However, I will take the other side on this argument and express disdain for those who take the other side (esp. when someone fails). If Byrd has breast cancer or gynecomastia (as you have stated can be a possibilty), then I will apolgize. Otherwise I will argue against you or any others that are in the defend-the-player category.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. IMO you are a very knowledgable baseball person. I am disgusted by PEDs in baseball. I feel no sympathy towards those who fail... whether by choice or by some "innocent" (stupid) mistake. You consistently take the other side. That is fine as this board is driven by opinion. However, I will take the other side on this argument and express disdain for those who take the other side (esp. when someone fails). If Byrd has breast cancer or gynecomastia (as you have stated can be a possibilty), then I will apolgize. Otherwise I will argue against you or any others that are in the defend-the-player category.
    Let's be fair here. I'm in in the category of "PED use was so rampant in the PED era that it's frivolity to slice and dice the record to "purify" it. It's silly to argue player A shouldnt be in the HOF but player B should be using PEDs as an underlying premise. In short, we dont know who was clean and who wasn't and we shouldn't act like we do. Im not that worried about what stain chemical cheating had on the fabric of a game whose history suggests cheating has always been part of the game.

Im not a defend-the-player guy. I'm an anti-rewriting history guy who views the moral outrage often directed at PEDs and the often rampant supposition with little actual fact more disturbing than knowing the Bonds' of baseball had better science than the Aarons' of baseball.

Turn Off Ads?