Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick to sign with Reds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ludwick to sign with Reds

Per Ken Rosenthal's twitter....no details available as of yet.

EDIT: One year deal with a mutual option for 2013.
    Last edited by Who Dey Time; 01-16-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Re: Ludwick to sign with Reds

Deal worth 2.5 million with an opportunity, with incentives, for it to increase to 3 million.

So that leaves what? $5-6M left to spend

A good pick up, not unexpected... still think there might be one more move in store. It's a bit risky, but would still be interested in picking up Manny Ramirez for $1 mill or so, then we'd have quite a lineup.

Ludwick, who can play left and right field, gives the Reds some much-needed outfield depth. Like left fielder Chris Heisey, Ludwick is a right-handed hitter. However, Ludwick has hit right-handers (.804 OPS) better than left-handers (.751 OPS) in his nine-year career.Ludwick, 33, posted a .237/.310/.363 line with 13 homers for the Padres and Pirates in 2011. His batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage all dropped for the third consecutive season. However, UZR/150 suggests Ludwick has played average defense in the outfield corners in recent years.
    Let's hope the GABP effect turns that around. That 2012 line is ugly. To be honest, I don't understand this signing at all. But I hope it works out.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-17-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Not a very exciting move. Looking at his decline over the pasr four yeaars is very concernig. I hope he is just looked at as a bench player andHeisey gets his shot to play everyday.

Luddy had that all-star season in 2008 and then started his decline. He went from STL (almost neutral, leans to pitching slightly) to SD (very pitcher friendly) to PIT (neutral with edge to hitter) and now gets to play at GABP. Hope that his decline stops for the Reds sake but only time will tell. Good luck with this one.

I think this is a solid signing, as long as Dusty doesn't run him out there every day. Dusty does like his veterans. If used correctly a Ludwick/Heisey platoon can be pretty productive. But that is a big if.
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    I think this is a solid signing, as long as Dusty doesn't run him out there every day. Dusty does like his veterans. If used correctly a Ludwick/Heisey platoon can be pretty productive. But that is a big if.
    If things go bad at least we won't need to wait until bobblehead night for Walt to cut bait.

This will put heisey in the role he's supposed to be in and is good at. Ph/outfield backup.

This signing also means that Heisey could see a lot more time in CF, especially if Stubbs can't improve his contact skills. Of course, Heisey isn't much of an improvement in that area, either.

I got nothing but here are some comments around the web obtained from the Cincy Enquirer.

* Expect Ludwick to get the overwhelming majority of the playing time in left field — at least out of the gate — with Chris Heisey serving as the fourth outfielder and Drew Stubbs in center. - Matt Snyder, CBS Sports

* In addition to having a track record with Jocketty, Ludwick also has had a fan in recent years in manager Dusty Baker, who has made multiple positive comments, both publicly and privately. In 30 career games at Great American Ball Park. – Mark Sheldon, MLB.com

* I would not expect a miracle turn around as (Ludwick) still struggles to make contact (2011 was his worst in the past three seasons at 77.8%) … If nothing else, a move to the homer friendly Great American Ballpark might be enough as he still generates plenty of fly balls (47% in 2011) and suffered from the lowest home run per fly ball rate of his career (7.5%). - Jamie Lance, sports statistician

* Ludwick is good against lefties with a .751 career OPS (although that’s lower than his .804 mark against righties), and hitting lefties was one thing he did well in 2011: .264/.350/.413 isn’t a bad line at all. For a max of $3 million, this isn’t a bad bargain at all. Ludwick could easily provide a win of value if he stays healthy, and at the same time, you let Heisey mature a little bit and progress as a player. Seems solid enough to me. - Joe Lucia, The Outside Corner
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

That's a bit disappointing. He'd likely be a good platoon partner with Heisey, but I want better out of a regular starter in left field.

Not a big fan of Ludwick but at least he came cheap.

I honestly think corey patterson would have been a better idea on a minor league deal. He has speed, can play defense, and play all 3 outfield spots plus he would have been much cheaper. It makes me sick knowing heisey wont get his chance to start because of dusty's love of veterans, strikeout kings, and guys who can't make contact. If he starts i see the reds not making it anywhere near .500 much less the playoffs.

Turn Off Ads?