Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Now To The Infield (Maybe)

Now To The Infield (Maybe)

Will the Reds finish off the winter by adding a reserve middle infielder to compete with, or replace, Janish?

Theriot has been mentioned.

My guess is Walt will, but the player has to accept about $1 million or slightly more.

Any ideas?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Now To The Infield (Maybe)

It'll probably be Theriot.

The riot > janish.

Easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    The riot > janish.

Easily.

With the bat-yes. With the glove-no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    With the bat-yes. With the glove-no.
    As a baseball player, easily yes.

They'll sign insurance for Cozart, most likely Theriot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    The riot > janish.

Easily.
    No he's not. The upgrade from awful to really, really bad on offense isn't worth the downgrade from better than average to really, really awful on defense. Theriot is Renteria with less offense and less defense.

Cozart and Frazier on the big league roster. If Cozart goes down, call up Janish to field the position every day and look to make a deal or take a look at Didi or H-Rod. Maybe Kris Negron will rebound.

If this team is going to spend any money, I'd rather add a 6th starter who goes to long relief.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd say Prado, but don't think he plays SS.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The problem with SS is that the SS always bats second in Dusty's lineups. Ugh.

I'd re-sign Renteria. For all the crap he took last year, I thought he came up with big hits, time and time again.

I don't mind Theriot as a bat off the bench but if Cozart goes down I'd rather have Janish as the every day SS. Theriot's glove is that bad.

Riot's last 3 years OBP: 343/321/321

Soft J's: 296/338/259

As a backup infielder whose primary role will be as PH, yea... Theriot >>> Janish.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Cozart and Frazier on the big league roster. If Cozart goes down, call up Janish to field the position every day and look to make a deal
    Yes, Yes a thousand times yes.

We all want the roster to be insulated against injury, but you just can't do that everywhere.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Riot's last 3 years OBP: 343/321/321

Soft J's: 296/338/259

As a backup infielder whose primary role will be as PH, yea... Theriot >>> Janish.
    They're both terrible at hitting, so why not just let Frazier handle it? I'm not sold on his ability to play SS, but it's difficult to imagine he'd be as bad as the dreck we've seen out there since Larkin retired. At least Frazier can hit. I wouldn't want him at SS for long stretches, but Cozart shouldn't need weeks off at a time. If he does, call someone up from AAA or make a deal. Theriot offers less than Frazier.

-The Insider-

If they don't sign Theriot I'll leave this place. It's the most obvious move of the off-season for the Reds.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't understand the Theriot move.

Cairo plays every infield position other than SS because of his age and range.
    Frazier plays every infield position except 1B, but I'm sure it's not that hard, and Cairo is the backup anyway. And he serves as another LFer if needed.
    Francisco plays 3B and so does Frazier. Juan also can play LF if needed.

The infield is covered. If Theriot's glove is so bad, Frazier can do no worse.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I don't understand the Theriot move.

Cairo plays every infield position other than SS because of his age and range.
    Frazier plays every infield position except 1B, but I'm sure it's not that hard, and Cairo is the backup anyway. And he serves as another LFer if needed.
    Francisco plays 3B and so does Frazier. Juan also can play LF if needed.

The infield is covered. If Theriot's glove is so bad, Frazier can do no worse.
    There, in most cases, are five bench spots on the roster. So right now, Hanigan, Cairo, Heisey, and Francisco are locks (due to him being out of options.)
    So that leaves one "spot" open for Valaika, Frazier, Janish or a free agent. I'd rather have Valaika and Frazier (who mostly only plays third, left, and first. He can play some short, and some second, but only if he has to) in Louisville starting everyday.
    Janish, take him or leave it. Theriot is intriguing because he's one of Walt's
    guys, plays all four infield positions, and he has had some success, especially compared to the soft-hitting Janish. I'd rather have Theriot than Janish. It's not that huge of a deal, but it just makes too much sense because of his ties to Walt for them not to sign him.
    Last edited by cinreds21; 01-17-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Turn Off Ads?