Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays To Sign Francisco Cordero

Blue Jays To Sign Francisco Cordero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jays To Sign Francisco Cordero

Quote Originally Posted by kg112686 View Post
    This begs the question... assumign that we had three million to spend left over after all the signings, pair that with the 4 million we could save by going with Cordero over Madson and we have 7 of the 8 mill required to add Oswalt.

Is Cordero + Oswalt better or worse than just Madson?

(personally I lean towards liking Madson more, but I can see the other side).

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    This begs the question... assumign that we had three million to spend left over after all the signings, pair that with the 4 million we could save by going with Cordero over Madson and we have 7 of the 8 mill required to add Oswalt.

I'll take my chances with Madson. As much as I'd like to try Oswalt I don't want to watch the end of Cordero's career with Dusty using him as the hammer.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

MLBTR reports there were four teams after Cordero. Seems like he would have gotten more than 4.5M to sign. I wonder what the Reds were offering him.

Hallelujah!!!

Good, although if he had still been avalible in spring training i'd would've offered a minor league deal

Good Luck to Coco, he was purely entertaining !
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

If this report is true, what is the compensation draft-wise for Reds?
    Larkin is a First-Ballot HOFer in my book...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Though the Blue Jays won't have to surrender a draft pick to sign Cordero, the Reds will obtain a supplementary first round pick because of the modified procedure for Type A free agents under baseball's new collective bargaining agreement.

Do the Blue Jays not have to surrender because the pick is protected? I'm not up to speed on the new compensation rules.
    Larkin is a First-Ballot HOFer in my book...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-as-setup-man/

And according to this report CoCo won't be the closer

Quote Originally Posted by It8ifyifitsgrif View Post
    Do the Blue Jays not have to surrender because the pick is protected? I'm not up to speed on the new compensation rules.
    To the best of my recollection, here's how the draft pick compensation system works.

In the past, there were type A and B free agents. To get any kind of compensation, the team had to offer the player arbitration.

If the player was a type A and turned down arbitration, the team losing the player received a sandwich pick and the signing team's first round pick. If the signing team's first rounder was protected, then the team losing the player would get their second round pick instead. If a player was a type B and turned down arbitration, then the team losing the player received a sandwich pick and the signing team surrendered nothing.

Now with the new CBA, there is a modified procedure that applies to the 2011-2012 off season only. The threshold for being a type A player was increased so a few guys (including Cordero and Hernandez from the Reds) would have dropped to type B status. These guys were instead placed in a special group called "Modified Type A Free Agents". The teams losing these modified type A players would only receive a sandwich pick instead of 2 picks, but in return they were not forced to offer arbitration to receive said sandwich pick.

This worked beautifully for the Reds since there was a very real chance that Hernandez and Cordero might have accepted arbitration if it was offered. Hence, the Reds probably wouldn't have offered and would have walked away with no draft pick compensation. Instead under the new rules, the Reds received a sandwich pick for each player.

In the future, the compensation system will work much differently, but I think I've taken up enough space already with this post. To make a long story short, the Reds now own the 14th, 48th, and 56th selections in the 2012 draft, all before the second round begins. That's great news for a team that has had a recent history of success in the first round and needs to reload after a couple of big trades.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 01-25-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post

I don't think $4.5M was an option when we signed Madson. I think Coco still thought he could get around $8M a year and by the Reds signing Madson for 1 year at $8.5M his priced reduced greatly. I mean Madson was expecting 4 years and $44M so I am perfectly happy with Madson and the $8.5M price tag.

Have they announced who gets the lottery supplemental first round picks yet? If the reds were to get one then that would mean 3 supplemental 1st round guys this year which sounds pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    Have they announced who gets the lottery supplemental first round picks yet? If the reds were to get one then that would mean 3 supplemental 1st round guys this year which sounds pretty good to me.
    I had actually forgotten about the supplemental pick lottery. The Reds do have a pretty good shot at grabbing one of those picks. Factoring those picks in, I think the Reds will actually be guaranteed the 14th, 55th, and 63rd picks with a shot at a lottery pick in the 32nd - 37th range.

Turn Off Ads?