Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Untouchable

Untouchable

Throwing out the idea that no prospect is untouchable in a trade pick one pitcher and one position player. My choices

Pitcher: Sulbaran
    Position Player: Soto

I almost went Yorman here as the OF is mighty thin right now. Yorman can post some big numbers, Duran too if both are in Bakersfield this year, but Soto makes Votto, not expendable, but at least we aren't looking at a Hal Morris like replacement. Soto has ridiculous power and was athletic enough to be considered at Catcher. Came up as a SS and quickly aoutgrew the position. He's got warts, but he's my untouchable.

Sulbaran? well I just posted what I think of him. I think he's the best Reds starter in the minors. period. He's an ace in the making.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Untouchable

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Throwing out the idea that no prospect is untouchable in a trade pick one pitcher and one position player. My choices

Pitcher: Sulbaran
    Position Player: Soto

I almost went Yorman here as the OF is mighty thin right now. Yorman can post some big numbers, Duran too if both are in Bakersfield this year, but Soto makes Votto, not expendable, but at least we aren't looking at a Hal Morris like replacement. Soto has ridiculous power and was athletic enough to be considered at Catcher. Came up as a SS and quickly aoutgrew the position. He's got warts, but he's my untouchable.

Sulbaran? well I just posted what I think of him. I think he's the best Reds starter in the minors. period. He's an ace in the making.

Since I do not believe in untouchables, I will list my top ranked positional player and pitcher who holds the most trade value to me.

Position: Mesoraco
    Pitcher: Corcino

Stephenson could take Corcino's spot next year if he pitches well in Dayton, but I think Corcino is a great young pitcher.

When Mesoraco graduates, I will also take Soto as my highest valued positional prospect.

Not counting Mesoraco and Cozart (penciled in as starters), I'd say Hamilton and Stephenson.

Theoretically Hamilton should be one of our most expendable prospects, but losing him would be losing our primarily positional prospects in the lower minors. Given that we just spent an entire draft on pitchers and are going to be losing a lot of guys in the coming years, we have to have clear offensive value set up for the next generation. Also, after the Latos trade, we're going to need to preserve our top draft picks, given that we just traded two first-rounders, a supplemental, and Josh Hamilton's return.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Since I do not believe in untouchables, I will list my top ranked positional player and pitcher who holds the most trade value to me.

Position: Mesoraco
    Pitcher: Corcino

Stephenson could take Corcino's spot next year if he pitches well in Dayton, but I think Corcino is a great young pitcher.

When Mesoraco graduates, I will also take Soto as my highest valued positional prospect.
    Agree with this.

Cozart would be my #2 position player as he is penciled in to start this year at a position with pencil-thin depth.

Looking deeper into the minors, I like Rodriguez's upside. While Soto clearly has some power, as a 1B with poor plate discipline, he is the very definition of a replaceable prospect IMO.
    Go BLUE!!!

Hamilton on offense.

Chapman in pitching.

Elite tools. You gotta keep those guys, IMO.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Hamilton on offense.

Chapman in pitching.

Elite tools. You gotta keep those guys, IMO.
    I like tools in the minor league as well. I thought Chapman had graduated from prospect status, so that is why I did not choose him. If Chapman were eligible, I would take him over Corcino.

As for the positional player, wouldn't you rather have the guy with elite power than the guy with elite speed? I know I would.

I would love a guy with elite power, but the only guys that have elite power in the Red system (Soto and Duran) refuse to take a walk. That's a HUGE red flag for major league success.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Assuming guys who will be in Cincinnati in April aren't eligible, I would go with Corcino and Yorman Rodriguez (since Stephenson can't even be moved right now if we wanted to move him, but even then, I would probably still lean toward Corcino).

Not tht sold on Soto yet and I'd use YRod if the right deal came up. Same is true for Hamilton, but the threshold would be higher. Vidal is another name I'd have high on the list (but certainly not untouchable), ditto Waldrop. Grandal would have been ore of an "untouchable" than anyone left in the system (and we all know how that ended).

I'll go with Hamilton & Corcino for the sake of the thread.

Probably a different discussion, but the Reds are paying and will pay for their disregard of early-round corner bat candidates (expecially corner-OF bat candidates) in the draft as well as their fetish for 4th OFers.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-17-2012 at 08:48 PM.

My untouchables would be
    Field: Hamilton
    Pitching: Corcino

Stephenson would be close with Corcino, but I want to see him pitch some more too.

Torreyes. Dang.

The only player in the system that I'd consider to be "untouchable" is Mesoraco.

Unless you're dealing with a once in a generation type talent (i.e. Ken Griffey Jr, ARod, Bryce Harper) I'm of the opinion that any player playing below AA is fair game for a trade. IMHO there is too much that can go wrong between A ball and the majors to consider a lower level minor league player to be untouchable.

Since I thought Yonder Alonso was this org's number one prospect--and still do--and yet I like the Latos trade, I'm committed to the position there are no untouchables, only the right prices.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Torreyes. Dang.
    Yep. Of all the prospects to leave our organization in the past 5 years...I think we'll regret this one the most. That one was painful to read about.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

All of them. That's gross.

Turn Off Ads?