Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

  1. #16
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    So I'm not the only one who thought that.
    Nope. I've had the same thought for awhile now too.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,948

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    4th against LHP. Out of the line-up or occassionally in the 7 hole against RHP.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  4. #18
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,994

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    fantasy style:
    2B Phillips
    C Hannigan
    RF Bruce
    1B Votto
    LF Heisey/Ludwick
    3B Francisco
    SS Cozart
    CF Stubbs

    teh Dusty:

    CF Stubbs
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    LF Ludwick/Heisey
    C Hanigan
    SS Cozart
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pook's Hill
    Posts
    1,556

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    fantasy style:
    2B Phillips
    C Hannigan
    RF Bruce
    1B Votto
    LF Heisey/Ludwick
    3B Francisco
    SS Cozart
    CF Stubbs

    teh Dusty:

    CF Stubbs
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    LF Ludwick/Heisey
    C Hanigan
    SS Cozart
    In my fantasy Mez gets more starts at C than Hanigan

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,370

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Despite having a horrible year, Drew Stubbs was:

    3rd in runs scored-92
    4th in hits-147
    1st in steals-40
    3rd in walks-63

    Unless someone can come up with someone they expect will do better in those categories this year, Drew should be at the top of the batting order.

  7. #21
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,774

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Despite having a horrible year, Drew Stubbs was:

    3rd in runs scored-92
    4th in hits-147
    1st in steals-40
    3rd in walks-63

    Unless someone can come up with someone they expect will do better in those categories this year, Drew should be at the top of the batting order.
    Phillips, Brandon.

    I think those are good numbers for Stubbs, but he can't get on base as a leadoff hitter. He changes his approach too much, his power vanishes. I like him 7th, where historically, throughout his professional career, he has thrived.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  8. #22
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,484

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Phillips, Brandon.

    I think those are good numbers for Stubbs, but he can't get on base as a leadoff hitter. He changes his approach too much, his power vanishes. I like him 7th, where historically, throughout his professional career, he has thrived.
    That's a pretty narrow way of looking at it. Stubbs historically struggles at the dish when there is a runner on base. Would that mean he should be the leadoff hitter? Besides, his OBP is better as a leadoff hitter than it is as a 7-hole hitter.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Posts
    376

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Before we move Drew to the 8th slot, we need to see that Mersaco is for real. We also need a better hitting SS than Cozart.

    I would bat the catcher 7th, and the SS 8th on this team.

    Ideally, you bat Drew #6 to leverage his power, but he's not a horrid leadoff hitter. I know the OBP people are cringing at that statement, but the "old school" thought about sacrificing a little OBP for speed isn't completely insane. Of all the players on the team, Drew is more likely to score from 1b when he makes it there (all things being equal).. Given that the only other real choice for leadoff is Phillips, having Stubbs lead off is a reasonable compromise if you want Phillips to bat in the middle of the order.
    One of the things about Stubbs in the leadoff position is that it puts more pressure on him. He looks (stats, anyone?) like he is less comfortable in that position and he has said he would rather not lead off.

    Edit: I just posted this and then saw that stats had been provided in the post above mine. Thanks!

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Posts
    376

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    That's a pretty narrow way of looking at it. Stubbs historically struggles at the dish when there is a runner on base. Would that mean he should be the leadoff hitter? Besides, his OBP is better as a leadoff hitter than it is as a 7-hole hitter.
    OK, I just look at his stats and the OBP, as you know, is almost the same: leadoff .328, 7th .323 in 793 ABs; while there is a bigger difference in his OPS leadoff .716, OBP .760. in 330 ABs. Those numbers make him a below average leadoff hitter 96 OPS+, but an above average 7th hitter 107 OPS+.

    The stat that jumps out at me, though, is that his career OPS against righties is .843 and against lefties is just .685. With the right-handed Heisey strangely having even worse numbers against lefties so far in his major league career (.631 v. L in 86 ABs, .870 v. R in 193 ABs), it seems the Reds should either believe it's a small sample size issue with Heisey and start him, Ludwick and Bruce in the outfield against most lefties; or pick up somebody else who can get some starts in centerfield vs. left-handed pitchers.

    I did check and Ludwick has played a little bit of centerfield in his career, but not much - about 5 games a season. If he or Bruce played center well enough, then you could think about starting Todd Frazier in left against lefties, but I don't think that's much of an option for frequent use. I think Heisey, as a righty, is likely to start hitting lefties better (and I've seen numbers posted on RZ that say he hit lefties well as you'd expect in the minors), so if Stubbs continues to struggle next season the thing to do may be to sit him down more often against lefties because his numbers against righties are still hopefully going to be pretty good for a CF.

  11. #25
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,948

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    OK, I just look at his stats and the OBP, as you know, is almost the same: leadoff .328, 7th .323 in 793 ABs; while there is a bigger difference in his OPS leadoff .716, OBP .760. in 330 ABs. Those numbers make him a below average leadoff hitter 96 OPS+, but an above average 7th hitter 107 OPS+.

    The stat that jumps out at me, though, is that his career OPS against righties is .843 and against lefties is just .685. With the right-handed Heisey strangely having even worse numbers against lefties so far in his major league career (.631 v. L in 86 ABs, .870 v. R in 193 ABs), it seems the Reds should either believe it's a small sample size issue with Heisey and start him, Ludwick and Bruce in the outfield against most lefties; or pick up somebody else who can get some starts in centerfield vs. left-handed pitchers.

    I did check and Ludwick has played a little bit of centerfield in his career, but not much - about 5 games a season. If he or Bruce played center well enough, then you could think about starting Todd Frazier in left against lefties, but I don't think that's much of an option for frequent use. I think Heisey, as a righty, is likely to start hitting lefties better (and I've seen numbers posted on RZ that say he hit lefties well as you'd expect in the minors), so if Stubbs continues to struggle next season the thing to do may be to sit him down more often against lefties because his numbers against righties are still hopefully going to be pretty good for a CF.
    I think that is backwards. Stubbs career OPS is .834 vs LHP and .697 vs RHP. Stubbs is a lefty killer and its RHP where the Reds need the boost. The .843 you reference is against LH Starting Pitchers. The .685 is against RH Starting Pitchers.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  12. #26
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,994

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    In my fantasy Mez gets more starts at C than Hanigan
    *fantasy still accounts for how 99% of MLB managers view catchers of their age groups...semi-unrelated, while i'll be annoyed by it, it wouldn's shock me in any way for Messarocco to start in AAA and Navaro to be Hannigan's back-up.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think that is backwards. Stubbs career OPS is .834 vs LHP and .697 vs RHP. Stubbs is a lefty killer and its RHP where the Reds need the boost. The .843 you reference is against LH Starting Pitchers. The .685 is against RH Starting Pitchers.
    Ditto. The team is obviously very unbalanced to the right hand side, and, for all the good work Walt has done, this has only been made worse by the trading of Alonso. Stubbs needs to lead off against LHP and sit a lot against RHP.

  14. #28
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    I couldn't agree with the premise of this thread any more. However, unfortunately, the only person that matters -- Dusty Baker -- disagrees.

    Speed kills, baby!

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,096

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    I like him 8th for mostly the same reasons and was thinking this last week. My top reasons:

    Last year, our pitchers bunted into a ton of FC's, and it wasn't their fault. A lot of Ramon Hernandez getting thrown out at 2nd. I'm guessing almost ZERO FC's if Stubbs is on base.

    He'll get on base a lot more in the 8th spot, and we need him on base.

    I honestly want everyone else to bat in front of him. I think our lineup has a chance to be the fiercest lineup in the NL by a long shot.

    BP
    Cozart
    Votto
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Heisey/Ludwick
    Mez
    Stubbs

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,370

    Re: Drew Stubbs is the perfect #8 hitter.

    Let's not overlook the point of OBP is to score runs. Drew has scored 90 or more runs 2 years in a row. I seriously doubt he'd score those runs hitting #8. For the reasons I listed before, he should hit either 1 or 2.


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25