Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Basketball

Re: Indiana Basketball 2011-2012 Part II

mn
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Does anyone have any photos of the new display case/shrine in Assembly Hall that IU put up to commemorate their buzzer-beater win over UK? Supposedly it has Watford's game-worn jersey and some other stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Does anyone have any photos of the new display case/shrine in Assembly Hall that IU put up to commemorate their buzzer-beater win over UK? Supposedly it has Watford's game-worn jersey and some other stuff?
    I hadn't heard anything about this, but my gues is they have it in Cook Hall which houses the training facility and has a lot of different memorabilia displayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Havent heard about it myself. Will check into it.

I bring the goods.

I had to ask myself, has Indiana really fallen THIS far to commemorate the game where Indiana beat Kentucky four months before Kentucky beat Indiana in the Sweet 16?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I had to ask myself, has Indiana really fallen THIS far to commemorate the game where Indiana beat Kentucky four months before Kentucky beat Indiana in the Sweet 16?
    It's not just "commemorating" one game. It's commemorating the entire season's accomplishments. Which, given where their program has been the last couple years, is probably worthwhile.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I dont know WV. Didnt UK retire the numbers of those seniors that lost to Duke in the regional finals? Wasnt that a gesture of what those kids had been through in their 4 years there?

It's there to get IU fans excited. It was a great memory for a lot of people who felt as though the program had been cast into the dark ages. That particular game will probably be remembered as the turning point in Crean's time at IU; there were a lot of people wondering whether he could get the program back into the top 10.

From the outside looking in I am sure it seems like an "elite" program should not care so much for one game, but I understand what they are doing, which is to use anything they can to market the comeback of the program to the fans. It's their story and they are going to run with it and eek out every season ticket they can sell.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

If IU fans are being honest, the answer is yes, IU has in fact fallen that far. They do have to use a regular season game and a Sweet 16 as a reference point to market the program because any current college students weren't a gleam in their parent's eyes when IU last won a national championship.

The good news is that the worst is inarguably behind them.

I think a good analogy is the Reds HOF last year Ramon Hernandez's bat on display and a plaque commemorating the Opening Day win. It was a good moment for the franchise but not necessarily historical. Like IU Basketball, the Reds have some dusty banners, but hopefully have better things on the horizon.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I dont know WV. Didnt UK retire the numbers of those seniors that lost to Duke in the regional finals? Wasnt that a gesture of what those kids had been through in their 4 years there?
    The big difference is that, to my knowledge, UK didn't set aside one win as a standout win like IU did. But if that floats their boat then more power to them. I take it as a compliment.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The big difference is that, to my knowledge, UK didn't set aside one win as a standout win like IU did. But if that floats their boat then more power to them. I take it as a compliment.
    I won't argue with the overall thought as IU has gotten as much mileage as possible from that one game, but that case seems to have a number of different momentos from the season. I don't see anything that says the win against UK was the only memorable moment from that season.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I detect a certain arrogance in that post. If IU would retire Verdell Jones and Tom Pritchard's jersey's I feel you would still snicker. What UK did is no different than that case.

I agree with HoosierRed, I see nothing in that case that points to it being all about the UK game. I see 3 gameballs in there, my assumption is that they are from the 3 Top 5 wins IU had.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I detect a certain arrogance in that post. If IU would retire Verdell Jones and Tom Pritchard's jersey's I feel you would still snicker. What UK did is no different than that case.

I agree with HoosierRed, I see nothing in that case that points to it being all about the UK game. I see 3 gameballs in there, my assumption is that they are from the 3 Top 5 wins IU had.
    Has IU retired Pritchard and Jones uniform? If they did it was for an entire career not one season or one game. That's great! Same for UK's 92 seniors. It was for a career and what they stood for by sticking thisngs out. I have never seen a team have three game balls in a trophy case for regular season wins that were not championship related. Maybe its happened but I have never seen it.
    Anyway I'll bow out of this conversation. I feel like I'm spoiling a party.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?