Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Basketball

Re: Indiana Basketball 2011-2012 Part II

When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Wow, but glad to hear he called to apologize. Crean seems to be, um, a bit out of balance.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Not a Crean fan at all. No surprise he's related to the Harbaugh's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Not a Crean fan at all. No surprise he's related to the Harbaugh's as well.
    I liked Crean when he was at Marquette. But over his time at IU I have started to dislike him. I can't stand his antics running all over the court during a game. He is the only coach of a power program that I can think of who does that. I don't know what IU fans think of that but I would like someone to tell him to tone down and if he can't stay within the coaches box he should get a T.

Incredible win for IU. Outright B1G championship and locks up a #1 seed in the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Wow, but glad to hear he called to apologize. Crean seems to be, um, a bit out of balance.
    As always, there's more to the story than just that confrontation. Though he is pretty continually amped up to an annoying degree. I'll live with the minor annoyances so long as the wins keep coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    As always, there's more to the story than just that confrontation. Though he is pretty continually amped up to an annoying degree. I'll live with the minor annoyances so long as the wins keep coming.
    Lot more to the story than we will probably ever know for sure. Dan Dakich stated on his radio show this morning, that Meyer was in no way part of the problem at IU during the Sampson "era". However, you always have to wonder what Crean's point of view might be on that. Doesnt matter......I will put up with his antics as well and they are the least of my concerns.

Right now I am more focused on CTC's pitiful substitution patterns. The start of this game was eeriely similar to the start of the Illinois game.

Crean might be annoying and act like a jack ass at times, but he brought IU back and put the black mark Sampson left into the past.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

10. Likes:

Razor Shines (03-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rhymon View Post
    Crean might be annoying and act like a jack ass at times, but he brought IU back and put the black mark Sampson left into the past.
    That is what a lot of people would say about Bob Knight and the mess he took over!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Hoosiers! Great season so far.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    That is what a lot of people would say about Bob Knight and the mess he took over!!!!!!!!!
    Indiana was a winning program -devoid of NCAA sanctions/restrictions - with many key components of the '73 Final Four team already in place when Knight took over in '71.

Comparing Knight's first season at IU with CTC's first season at IU is akin to comparing the Blizzard of '78 to Chernobyl, not that Crean was/is the only Major College B-Ball Coach out there to deal with such issues.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Indiana was a winning program -devoid of NCAA sanctions/restrictions - with many key components of the '73 Final Four team already in place when Knight took over in '71.

Comparing Knight's first season at IU with CTC's first season at IU is akin to comparing the Blizzard of '78 to Chernobyl, not that Crean was/is the only Major College B-Ball Coach out there to deal with such issues.
    NSF my friend......there was improper stuff going on at IU before '71. That is why Knight was hired. Granted the scope is bigger now than what it was then....but there was alot of stuff happening with IU athletics through out the 60's. Improprieties aside(Wooden never got caught) that might be speculation, in fact IU hired a "no non-sense" guy to clean up what they thought was a problem.

The components were there.......minus McGinnis. But to me, that just shows Knight's coaching ability at that time.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    NSF my friend......there was improper stuff going on at IU before '71. That is why Knight was hired. Granted the scope is bigger now than what it was then....but there was alot of stuff happening with IU athletics through out the 60's. Improprieties aside(Wooden never got caught) that might be speculation, in fact IU hired a "no non-sense" guy to clean up what they thought was a problem.

The components were there.......minus McGinnis. But to me, that just shows Knight's coaching ability at that time.
    McGinnis, who left for the ABA before Knight took over, was recruited by Lou Watson.

Anyway, the only IU infractions, at least the major type, at IU around that time were in the Walt Bellamy days (early 60's) and resulted in all IU athletic teams on probation because of -- are you ready for this -- violations within the IU swim team.

That stated, you are correct about the need at the time for a culture change (read: a more structured approach - on and off the court) -- mission accomplished.

Speaking of improprieties - I'm not one to blame officiating as a rule - have you checked out the replay of IU's '73 Final Four loss to to the (Sam Gilbert says ) crooks, er, UCLA team?

The phantom blocking foul against Steve Downing, after IU had whittled a 22 point lead down to four, was ridiculous. It was clearly a charging foul against Bill Walton, which would have been his 5th. In fact, Walton thought he had fouled out, as he started walking back to the UCLA bench before Downing was whistled for the foul. A short time later, Downing picked up his fifth and was gone, along with IU's chances for pulling the upset.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I liked Crean when he was at Marquette. But over his time at IU I have started to dislike him. I can't stand his antics running all over the court during a game. He is the only coach of a power program that I can think of who does that. I don't know what IU fans think of that but I would like someone to tell him to tone down and if he can't stay within the coaches box he should get a T.
    Whoa, so after he became the coach of one of your conference rivals you started to like him less? I am totally shocked by that, flabbergasted! Let me guess he didn't bother you as much early in his time at IU while they were the bed pan of the conference, but I bet sometime last year something strange happened and he became more and annoying. Very strange.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    McGinnis, who left for the ABA before Knight took over, was recruited by Lou Watson.

Anyway, the only IU infractions, at least the major type, at IU around that time were in the Walt Bellamy days (early 60's) and resulted in all IU athletic teams on probation because of -- are you ready for this -- violations within the IU swim team.

That stated, you are correct about the need at the time for a culture change (read: a more structured approach - on and off the court) -- mission accomplished.

Speaking of improprieties - I'm not one to blame officiating as a rule - have you checked out the replay of IU's '73 Final Four loss to to the (Sam Gilbert says ) crooks, er, UCLA team?

The phantom blocking foul against Steve Downing, after IU had whittled a 22 point lead down to four, was ridiculous. It was clearly a charging foul against Bill Walton, which would have been his 5th. In fact, Walton thought he had fouled out, as he started walking back to the UCLA bench before Downing was whistled for the foul. A short time later, Downing picked up his fifth and was gone, along with IU's chances for pulling the upset.
    I still get upset watching that "highlight". Pitiful.

Turn Off Ads?