Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Basketball

Re: Indiana Basketball 2011-2012 Part II

For the IU fans, are they the real deal this season? Can they live up to those lofty expectations? Can they even win the B1G with OSU, MSU, UM, Minnesota, and Wisconsin looking tough?

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's a good question bucksfan.

There's nothing to lead me to believe they should be anything but the B1G favorite. But it also wouldn't surprise me if tOSU, Michigan, or even Michigan State win the conference title.

Essentially I'd say IU's a 40% chance at winning, the Buckeyes and Michigan are 30 and 25% with Michigan State needing a lot of things to go right.

I'd probably say the same for the NCAA tournament. I'd put IU as a slight favorite over UK and/or UL, but not so much of an overwhelming favorite as say UK was last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    You know this how, exactly?

If donating $185 20 years ago makes him a "booster," then I still work at the same place I worked as a teenager, even though I haven't set foot in there for almost 13 years.
    It's in articles about the subject...

the actual amount (that we know about) is between $6-8,000 per guy.

This whole A-Hope thing with Mark Adams and then hiring his unqualified son has been shady from the start. If I was IU, I would take the punishment the NCAA has offered and hope they don't keep digging...

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Yeah Crean does like his trinkets. I think more than anything he wanted a momento for guys like Pritchard, Roth, and VJIII. But I'd think a normal IU basketball ring would do.

Hopefully he won't have to make up reasons to give stuff away this year.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

This whole A-Hope thing with Mark Adams and then hiring his unqualified son has been shady from the start. If I was IU, I would take the punishment the NCAA has offered and hope they don't keep digging...
    The $185 I was referring to was the amount given by Mark Adams to the university. Actually by his ex-wife but who's counting. That's what make Mark Adams a booster.

All of the money given by Adam's to the players was deemed to be perfectly legal and legit by the NCAA if he hadn't been a "booster" 20 years ago.

You've mentioned that IU hired Adam's "unqualified" son a number of times. I'm not sure either of us is in a position to debate the necessary qualifications to be the video manager of a D1 basketball team. Is there anything which makes you believe that he was particularly unqualified or unworthy of such a great job?
    It seems like one of many small steps on the coaching steps which Adams has continued to ascend after his year of exemplary work in the IU film room.

As for A-hope and Mark Adams, again, it's a hell of a conspiracy theory, but when a program has been in existence for over 20 years and placed dozens of players in college programs other than Indiana. I'm not sure why it's all of a sudden shady that three players decide to go to Indiana. There have been a lot of guys who decided to go to Indiana recently.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 11-09-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Did the NCAA order IU to disassociate itself from Adams and A-Hope?

I'm a much bigger believer in IU's title chances than UL. (As someone who dislikes both schools.) UL still can't shoot. Can IU play credible defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's a good question bucksfan.

There's nothing to lead me to believe they should be anything but the B1G favorite. But it also wouldn't surprise me if tOSU, Michigan, or even Michigan State win the conference title.

Essentially I'd say IU's a 40% chance at winning, the Buckeyes and Michigan are 30 and 25% with Michigan State needing a lot of things to go right.

I'd probably say the same for the NCAA tournament. I'd put IU as a slight favorite over UK and/or UL, but not so much of an overwhelming favorite as say UK was last year.
    IU didn't impress me enough last year to say "Wow are they going to be good." I thought Watford was slightly overrated and thought that Zeller needed to toughen up. I know little about their recruiting class but most of the projections have them relying on their returning starters.

I thought IU would be good, just surprised to see them the overwhelming #1 pick by most pundits across the nation. I think the B1G will be too much of a dogfight for IU to retain that ranking for a while.

I am not trying to downplay IU just a little surprised thats all and I wanted an IU fans reaction.

Did the NCAA order IU to disassociate itself from Adams and A-Hope?

I'm a much bigger believer in IU's title chances than UL. (As someone who dislikes both schools.) UL still can't shoot. Can IU play credible defense?
    Yeah, for one year. I guess once a booster, always a booster, until the NCAA punishes you, than you're no longer a booster after 1 year.

What about the defense part? Is Indiana going to be able to stop anybody this year? Their offense should be pretty deadly...

What about the defense part? Is Indiana going to be able to stop anybody this year? Their offense should be pretty deadly...
    I think the goal is going to be to run teams out of the building and let the cost benefit of the pressure defense prevail. As in IU will likely give up some easy baskets, but the pressure created by a very efficient offense and whatever transition baskets they get will allow a lot of leads to snowball as the defense is able to take more chances, which leads to more transition baskets etc..

Individually, there's no one guy who will completely stop the opponents, but as a team I imagine they'll be top 20 in terms of defensive efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I thought IU would be good, just surprised to see them the overwhelming #1 pick by most pundits across the nation.
    NCAA basketball, by all accounts, is seriously down this year in terms of talent. Everyone, it seems, has lost a bunch but IU and UofL.

As to defense, they'll need it in the Big 10 and NCAAs. And the jury is out right now, but Crean's good enough, IMO, to get them better. Whether that's good enough is anyone's guess. (And one reason why this year should be just about impossible to pick come NCAA time.)

One team no one's talking about that I think is underrated is Kansas. Length, shooting, defense, better decision-making at PG, a veteran-led team, a fairly easy road which should turn into a number one seed-- what's not to like?

Stat geek...and proud

That's not under debate. What is under debate is Adams connections to the program, of which no one has anything concrete. We know how much money the two players got.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    That's not under debate. What is under debate is Adams connections to the program, of which no one has anything concrete. We know how much money the two players got.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Well, HR said it was less than $200 and that's dead wrong.

Stat geek...and proud
    Well, HR said it was less than $200 and that's dead wrong.
    No, he said Adams' ex wife gave the university under $200. At least that's what I think he meant. If so he's correct.

Turn Off Ads?