Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Basketball

Re: Indiana Basketball 2011-2012 Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Unless my research is wrong(?), I was simply amazed to see that UK and IU have only met 3 times in NCAA tournament play. '73, '75, and '83. History does not bode well for the Hoosiers. Kentucky won the match-ups in '75 and '83, in both losses IU had season ending injuries to key players leading up to the game. This year Verdell goes down...............
    I did a blog on a UK fan website about these three games. In doing a little research I did notice in 1983 that Ted Kitchel and Jim Thomas played in the regular season game against UK but did not play in the NCAA game. I assume they were the one's injured? In my blog I stated I didn't remember why they didn't play. I know Scott May was injured and played just a few minutes in that 1975 game. Anyway I remember watching all three of those games. All terrific games and the 1975 game is one of the best and most enjoyable UK wins I have ever experienced.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I did a blog on a UK fan website about these three games. In doing a little research I did notice in 1983 that Ted Kitchel and Jim Thomas played in the regular season game against UK but did not play in the NCAA game. I assume they were the one's injured? In my blog I stated I didn't remember why they didn't play. I know Scott May was injured and played just a few minutes in that 1975 game. Anyway I remember watching all three of those games. All terrific games and the 1975 game is one of the best and most enjoyable UK wins I have ever experienced.
    In 1975, Scott May suffered a broken arm in the final regular season game. I personally do not remember why Jimmy Thomas didnt play in that '83 NCAA game. But Ted Kitchel went down with 5 games to go in the regular season due to a back injury never to return.

Actually the Hoosiers, through out my lifetime, have had trouble with the injury bug that has affected their outcome in the tournament even when it didnt involve Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    In 1975, Scott May suffered a broken arm in the final regular season game. I personally do not remember why Jimmy Thomas didnt play in that '83 NCAA game. But Ted Kitchel went down with 5 games to go in the regular season due to a back injury never to return.

Actually the Hoosiers, through out my lifetime, have had trouble with the injury bug that has affected their outcome in the tournament even when it didnt involve Kentucky.
    That '83 team was the "Fans Big Ten Title" as I recall. The tradition had been to not put a banner up for any particular B1G Ten Title, but because of the way the fans rallied around that team, there was a "fans banner" hung for that particular B1G Ten crown.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That '83 team was the "Fans Big Ten Title" as I recall. The tradition had been to not put a banner up for any particular B1G Ten Title, but because of the way the fans rallied around that team, there was a "fans banner" hung for that particular B1G Ten crown.
    Yes, that is correct. As I recall, IU had a 2 game lead in the conference with 5 games to play, and everything was looking great. Kitchel went down before their state of Michigan road trip. Without Kitchel, IU looked anemic and dropped games to the Wolverines and Spartans. The pack caught them with 3 games to play without one of their stars. They ended up blowing out Ohio St, Illinois, and Purdue(The three teams that tied for 2nd) to secure the Big Ten title. Knight credited the fans for the crown and the banner was hung.

To me, although it was a successful season...........I always ask What if?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    How many programs has he coached?
    3 as head coach, so that is a pretty good record.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    3 as head coach, so that is a pretty good record.
    It seems that violations happen where he coaches (he is not the only one). I can understand the die-hard fans for defending him (hell, I defended Tressel until the bitter end! part of being that die-hard type I guess). But as a semi-educated person with no stake in this or him... it seems to happen often when he coaches. Do they keep records for Final Fours that have been stripped or reaching a certain number of career wins multiple times b/c of wins being overturned? If they did, we might have a contender for top dog. Like I said I am not a hater of UK. But I am highly suspicious of anything Coach Calipari touches. And shame on me if he is 100% innocent of any wrongdoings. I hope he is innocent or is able to have better control of his programs, but I (and many others) am (are) suspicious.

It seems that violations happen where he coaches (he is not the only one). I can understand the die-hard fans for defending him (hell, I defended Tressel until the bitter end! part of being that die-hard type I guess). But as a semi-educated person with no stake in this or him... it seems to happen often when he coaches. Do they keep records for Final Fours that have been stripped or reaching a certain number of career wins multiple times b/c of wins being overturned? If they did, we might have a contender for top dog. Like I said I am not a hater of UK. But I am highly suspicious of anything Coach Calipari touches. And shame on me if he is 100% innocent of any wrongdoings. I hope he is innocent or is able to have better control of his programs, but I (and many others) am (are) suspicious.

I am really looking forward to this rematch. Last Big 10/12 representation, do the conference proud tonight!
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I am really looking forward to this rematch. Last Big 10/12 representation, do the conference proud tonight!
    Ohio State?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Ohio State?
    Obviously, I meant with a chance to advance.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Buckeye fans sharing their suspicions about other coaches/programs is awfully cute.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Buckeye fans sharing their suspicions about other coaches/programs is awfully cute.
    I am a loyal OSU fan. But I am not too arrogant to put my head in the sand and act like nothing happens there. I know that there are loyal Buckeyes who do. But this has nothing to do with the program I like or do not like. It has to do with a guy who seems to have programs get in trouble for violations and banners removed. He might have clean hands. But like I'd bet my money on UK to win this tourney, I'd also bet my money that John is not so clean. Not that he has done wrong at UK, but he is not so clean in his college coaching career. Some things are coincidence (birds cause engine failure in a airplane and cause it to land in the Hudson River) and some things happen too often to make people wonder if there is a common thread. Sometimes there is not enough evidence to convict and thank goodness that is the case. But when you have two FFs stripped, then I do not blame people for wondering about you.

Well, he's been personally exonerated by the NCAA for the situations at UMASS and Memphis and doesn't have a single NCAA infraction on his record, so I guess I'll just have to stick with the facts until some actual evidence is presented.

I'm sure Cal was the one who introduced Camby to that agent and told him to accept money... of course, Cal was also the one who turned his own program into the NCAA. Weird fella!

And then playing the best player in the nation after he was cleared to play by the NCAA.... TWICE! No other coach in the country would have done that... no way, no how.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Well, he's been personally exonerated by the NCAA for the situations at UMASS and Memphis and doesn't have a single NCAA infraction on his record, so I guess I'll just have to stick with the facts until some actual evidence is presented.

I'm sure Cal was the one who introduced Camby to that agent and told him to accept money... of course, Cal was also the one who turned his own program into the NCAA. Weird fella!

And then playing the best player in the nation after he was cleared to play by the NCAA.... TWICE! No other coach in the country would have done that... no way, no how.
    I understand your position (and loyalty!). Perhaps he just recruits bad apples? Like Jim Tressel. Of course watching over 15 guys can be as tough as watching over 100 or so. But I jest, WMR. I do not want to make this a us vs. them thing. I am pretty sure there are a lot people like myself that are suspicious of John. It could be bogus and that is a shame.

I understand your position (and loyalty!). Perhaps he just recruits bad apples? Like Jim Tressel. Of course watching over 15 guys can be as tough as watching over 100 or so. But I jest, WMR. I do not want to make this a us vs. them thing. I am pretty sure there are a lot people like myself that are suspicious of John. It could be bogus and that is a shame.
    Almost as many people hate Cal as hate UK, so it's a good match.

(or maybe that's backwards )

Turn Off Ads?