Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Basketball

Re: Indiana Basketball 2011-2012 Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I dont think so. A new regime came in at IU. Knight wasnt doing what so many had grown accustomed to. First round losses didnt cut it anymore. Davis recruited most of those guys.........Bob shaped them. Once the "Knight Guys" were gone, Davis showed what he could do on his own.....which wasnt much on the coaching end.
    This could of course be it's own discussion, but as someone who came into my IU fanhood during the mediocre late 90's and had no emotional connection to Bob Knight, I can say in hindsight that I believe he got what he had coming to him for a long time.

He was burnt out. He needed a break. And however long he was the coach at IU, he was going to see continually lower results.

I'd never argue that Mike Davis was a better coach than Bob Knight, but for that particular team, he was a better fit.

In all honesty it burns me up just talking about it 10 years after the fact that it's still a point of conversation that overshadows the tremendous story of this year's team.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    This could of course be it's own discussion, but as someone who came into my IU fanhood during the mediocre late 90's and had no emotional connection to Bob Knight, I can say in hindsight that I believe he got what he had coming to him for a long time.

He was burnt out. He needed a break. And however long he was the coach at IU, he was going to see continually lower results.

I'd never argue that Mike Davis was a better coach than Bob Knight, but for that particular team, he was a better fit.

In all honesty it burns me up just talking about it 10 years after the fact that it's still a point of conversation that overshadows the tremendous story of this year's team.
    If you didnt become an IU fan until the late 90's, I can see your disconnection with the General. But I will remind you that the only reason Davis even coached that team was because the players said after the Knight firing that unless Treloar or Davis was named coach, IU would have no team. IU settled on Davis and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Iowa State and Florida had the same thing. Strong inside presence with an abundance of perimeter players. Kentucky blew Florida out twice, beat them again in the SEC tournament, and handled Iowa State pretty convincingly.

Iowa State and Florida dont have centers like IU or Vandy. IU beat them. Vandy played them tough twice before finally getting the Cats in the SEC championship.

If you didnt become an IU fan until the late 90's, I can see your disconnection with the General. But I will remind you that the only reason Davis even coached that team was because the players said after the Knight firing that unless Treloar or Davis was named coach, IU would have no team. IU settled on Davis and the rest is history.
    Oh absolutely that's the only reason he was even considered for the job. But that's really immaterial to the main issue. Knight was burnt out and needed a break. He was becoming a shell of the genius coach IU fans came to know and love in the previous two decades.

Whether his dismissal was right or wrong, I have no doubt it turned out to be the best thing for him personally. He got a break and was able to take on a new challenge at Texas Tech a few years down the line.
    And the fact that he still holds a grudge against a university despite the fact that nearly everyone involved in his dismissal is now gone shows that he despite his brilliance, he can still be a petty jerk.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Oh absolutely that's the only reason he was even considered for the job. But that's really immaterial to the main issue. Knight was burnt out and needed a break. He was becoming a shell of the genius coach IU fans came to know and love in the previous two decades.

Whether his dismissal was right or wrong, I have no doubt it turned out to be the best thing for him personally. He got a break and was able to take on a new challenge at Texas Tech a few years down the line.
    And the fact that he still holds a grudge against a university despite the fact that nearly everyone involved in his dismissal is now gone shows that he despite his brilliance, he can still be a petty jerk.
    I cant argue about anything ya said.

I actually met Coach back in the late 90's at a gas station south of Fort Wayne. He took the time to talk to me and my son for 15 minutes. The funny thing is that we never even discussed basketball, it was all about the fish we had caught. So my views on him are quite biased.

I cant argue about anything ya said.

I actually met Coach back in the late 90's at a gas station south of Fort Wayne. He took the time to talk to me and my son for 15 minutes. The funny thing is that we never even discussed basketball, it was all about the fish we had caught. So my views on him are quite biased.
    Ha! Great story. I actually had a couple of stories covering Knight as a member of the student media and as a student in his coaching basketball class which actually enhanced my view of him at the time.

As long as you weren't one of his players who got choked/slapped, a secretary, a potted plant, a chair, an opposing coach who got slapped, or a member of the media or the IU administration, you probably love the guy.

Iowa State and Florida dont have centers like IU or Vandy. IU beat them. Vandy played them tough twice before finally getting the Cats in the SEC championship.
    I take it you didn't watch either the Iowa State game or any of the Florida games.

Florida and Iowa State both have young centers on the inside. Patric Young from Florida is one of the best young centers in the SEC. Royce White plays center for Iowa State and his draft stock has jumped through the roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    As long as you weren't one of his players who got choked/slapped, a secretary, a potted plant, a chair, an opposing coach who got slapped, or a member of the media or the IU administration, you probably love the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yep you are right. I am gonna change my icons to a couple of UK coaches. Adolph Rupp and Eddie Sutton.

In December, you could tell IU NEEDED that game. They needed the catharsis. You got the sense in the way some UK fans were mistreated that not only did the team need it, but the campus did too.

Now? IU's playing with house money to a certain extent. They could lose by half a hundred and its still a successful season. Kentucky, otoh needs this one and the three that follow.
    This is definitely UK's best shot at a title with many other contenders going by the wayside(Mizzou, Duke) struggling to get out of 2nd round(Kansas, tMSU) or dealing with injury/suspension.(Carolina, Syracuse)

For UK to cough up this golden opportunity could lead people to start questioning whether this model of continually bringing in 2-3 freshmen to lead the team per year will actually lead to a title.
    IU is playing with house money which makes them more dangerous. I think in the tournament the favorite, espeically the tournament favorite has a great deal of pressure on them. If IU gets a lead or hands in the game the pressure will start to mount on UK. Most of the time the other fans in the building begin to turn on the favorite and the underdog gets the crowd support. That may be minimalized because of UK's following, but if IU is close the IU, X, and Baylor fans will all start rooting against UK.

Fortunately for UK fans Tom Crean doesn't have D Wade to give the ball to this time around against UK.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IU is playing with house money which makes them more dangerous. I think in the tournament the favorite, espeically the tournament favorite has a great deal of pressure on them. If IU gets a lead or hands in the game the pressure will start to mount on UK. Most of the time the other fans in the building begin to turn on the favorite and the underdog gets the crowd support. That may be minimalized because of UK's following, but if IU is close the IU, X, and Baylor fans will all start rooting against UK.

Fortunately for UK fans Tom Crean doesn't have D Wade to give the ball to this time around against UK.
    That's a good point. IU has the freedom of playing like a 12 seed, but most 12 seeds don't have Cody Zeller.
    I think the pressure and lack of pressure can be a positive or a negative for either side to be honest.

I've said all along, if it stays close I like IU's chances. However I think Kentucky has the firepower to blow open the game early.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I take it you didn't watch either the Iowa State game or any of the Florida games.

Florida and Iowa State both have young centers on the inside. Patric Young from Florida is one of the best young centers in the SEC. Royce White plays center for Iowa State and his draft stock has jumped through the roof.
    Sure I did. Florida doesnt even utilize Young. And Royce White is 6'-8" . Neither would start for UK. Zellar and Ezeli would.

Neither Zeller or Ezeli would start for UK.

Neither Zeller or Ezeli would start for UK.

LOL.....whatever man. Jones is a stud.

Zellar would start on any team in the country, and that includes UK. Heck, he would fit into their offense quite nicely and he can hit free throws.

Turn Off Ads?