Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Basketball

Re: Indiana Basketball 2011-2012 Part II

I've said Stevens is a better coach. Of course that doesn't mean I think Stevens would make a better king.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I certainly haven't hailed him as a king, and I think I've been fairly consistent in the approach of, "Okay, celebrate this stuff this time because it was a long hard slog, but no more excessive celebrations now that you're back at the top, you're expected to stay there."

As for the winning and losing, I think you make my point. I'm not really defending his personality tics which are moderately annoying, but rather focusing on what I as a fan am asking him to do.
    Except we aren't talking about "personality tics," we are talking about how he represents IU, which, when the days aren't so rosy, supporters become critics and the antics wear thin. Ask Bobby Knight. Ask Woody Hayes. You are king and your "personality tics" are tolerable, then medocrity sets in, and suddenly throwing chairs, punching players on the sidelines, and blasting other coaches is bringing shame on the program.

Of course, we know from the Bobby Knight era that winning coaches get a lot, a lot of rope in Hoosier land, excepting recruiting violations.
    Last edited by traderumor; 03-12-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Except we aren't talking about "personality tics," we are talking about how he represents IU, which, when the days aren't so rosy, supporters become critics and the antics wear thin. Ask Bobby Knight. Ask Woody Hayes. You are king and your "personality tics" are tolerable, then medocrity sets in, and suddenly throwing chairs, punching players on the sidelines, and blasting other coaches is bringing shame on the program.

Of course, we know from the Bobby Knight era that winning coaches get a lot, a lot of rope in Hoosier land, excepting recruiting violations.
    We'll leave the Bob Knight discussion out of this, because he has about as much relevance to IU today as Woody Hayes does to tOSU>
    So tell me what you're referring to specifically? How is he representing the university poorly?

I mean seriously, so far you've mentioned his "antics" but haven't said anything other than walking too far outside the coaching box and coming unglued at an opposing coach at a bad time.

The former was an act he apologized for, and the latter is what I'd describe as a personality tic. It would be like criticizing Thad Matta for chewing gum.

In general, Crean has represented the university quite well. While I can understand why he rubs some people the wrong way, that's a far cry from poorly representing the university.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

5. Likes:

Razor Shines (03-12-2013),Revering4Blue (03-12-2013)

Instructing players to flop and fake getting elbowed?

Quote Originally Posted by wmr View Post
    instructing players to flop and fake getting elbowed?
    shh, that's not part of the narrative!

Tom crean is jesus! He's brought iu back from the grave! 3 days dead and they've risen!

We'll leave the Bob Knight discussion out of this, because he has about as much relevance to IU today as Woody Hayes does to tOSU>
    So tell me what you're referring to specifically? How is he representing the university poorly?

I mean seriously, so far you've mentioned his "antics" but haven't said anything other than walking too far outside the coaching box and coming unglued at an opposing coach at a bad time.

The former was an act he apologized for, and the latter is what I'd describe as a personality tic. It would be like criticizing Thad Matta for chewing gum.

In general, Crean has represented the university quite well. While I can understand why he rubs some people the wrong way, that's a far cry from poorly representing the university.
    The incident Sunday shows a character flaw. Stay tuned. He also had a sore loser incident with Matta last year. The drama has only begun' his celebrity will only exacerbate the weakness. Pride comes before a fall.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Well I'll probably stay tuned. But thanks for the heads up.

Maybe I'm just accepting because I have so many flaws of my own, but I'm guessing I've revealed far more and more revealing character flaws in the last 13 months than the two you mentioned.

At least I'm not proud, so no fall for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I can only speak to what I read from two different posters in this thread. What you mention above is not an attitude I've read about in this thread.
    That doesn't make what I stated in my original post any less true. It's happening all over Indiana.

You certainly don't believe that this board is an accurate representation of an entire fan base, do you?
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 03-13-2013 at 01:08 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    shh, that's not part of the narrative!

Tom crean is jesus! He's brought iu back from the grave! 3 days dead and they've risen!
    Speaking of narratives, you may want to check on the validity of your Crean Is God in the eyes of most IU fans narrative.

It is a heck of a lot easier to believe that the majority of IU fans believe that Crean can do no wrong than to believe what I posted in post #521.

But if anyone, namely yourself, would actually spend a little time frequenting other IU message boards or actually spending a little time in Indiana, you may actually realize that the narrative that you so much wish to be true is actually dead wrong.

But that may require too much time/work, when it is much easier to post over here, while adding nothing of substance to the conversation.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 03-13-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The incident Sunday shows a character flaw. Stay tuned. He also had a sore loser incident with Matta last year. The drama has only begun' his celebrity will only exacerbate the weakness. Pride comes before a fall.
    Character flaw? He's an excitable guy, I'm the same way during competition. It was dumb, funny but dumb. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. But lets say you're right Dr. Laura, that it is a character flaw. Please tell me what exactly our response as fans should be. You clearly have a problem with how we've responded in this thread. Please, I'm begging you, give me an example of an acceptable post responding to this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Speaking of narratives, you may want to check on the validity of your Crean Is God in the eyes of most IU fans narrative.

It is a heck of a lot easier to believe that the majority of IU fans believe that Crean can do no wrong than to believe what I posted in post #521.

But if anyone, namely yourself, would actually spend a little time frequenting other IU message boards or actually spending a little time in Indiana, you may actually realize that the narrative that you so much wish to be true is actually dead wrong.

But that may require too much time/work, when it is much easier to post over here, while adding nothing of substance to the conversation.
    I'm in Indianapolis every month, went to the IU-UK game in Bloomington last year, as well as the IU-Butler game and the IU-OSU game (In Columbus) this year.

Everyone in Bloomington eats up his little rah rah act. His sprinting out into the concourse at Assembly after the UK game last year was the main culprit.

I've never been treated worse than I was at that game btw.

Saw how he treated Matta and Stevens in person this year also. IU fans eat it up.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I'm in Indianapolis every month, went to the IU-UK game in Bloomington last year, as well as the IU-Butler game and the IU-OSU game (In Columbus) this year.

Everyone in Bloomington eats up his little rah rah act. His sprinting out into the concourse at Assembly after the UK game last year was the main culprit.

I've never been treated worse than I was at that game btw.

Saw how he treated Matta and Stevens in person this year also. IU fans eat it up.
    Again, what exactly would you like the response to be? Should we be calling for him to be fired because of his "rah rah act"? I mean clearly he's happy to be at Indiana and he lets his enthusiasm get the best of him at times but how exactly would you like us to react?

And how do IU fans "eat up" the way he treated Matta and Stevens?

And how exactly did he treat them? A quick handshake? So he's a sore loser? I've gotta tell you, they're ALL sore losers most just hide it better. I'm sorry I don't really care. And that's not an IU thing. I'm a Colts fan and I think it's silly when other Colts fans call out Tom Brady or Bellichic for being sore losers.

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-13-2013),Revering4Blue (03-13-2013)

Who cares? He runs a clean program and recruits well, not sure if he is a great x and o guy. People hating him or being annoyed by him is a good thing, it means he is sucessful.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

17. Likes:

Razor Shines (03-13-2013),Revering4Blue (03-13-2013)

Definitely doesn't run a clean program. Check the Gary Harris recruitment

Winning trumps everything. If you a winning coach who acts like an idiot you can overlook that if he is winning. I can't remember a coach of a big name program who runs up and down the sidelines the way Crean does. Someone may want to tell him that he is coaching IU not some Mid Major who he needs to get excited.

At IU it should be about hanging National Championship Banners, not B1G title banners. If Miami gets excited about their first ACC Basketball Championship I don't have a problem with that, when a blue blood program gets that excited about a conference championship it doesn't seem right.

Crean is starting to remind me a lot of his brother in law Jim. Good coach, overly excitable, but it can rub people the wrong way.

Turn Off Ads?