Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Basketball

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Indiana Basketball 2011-2012 Part II

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am beginning to think that Watford and Zeller will enter the NBA draft. Zeller if he is a top 10 pick and Watford depending on where he is going to go. This time of year you always have they guys entering the draft who shouldn't. The BIG landscape could really chanve if Watford, Zeller, Sullinger, Thomas, and Burke all decide to enter the draft.

I dont see Zellar going pro. Both his older brothers graduated from their prospective colleges, I think Cody will follow suit. Now Watford just might. But I think he has hung around this long, he just might want to get some fruits for his labor. The guy on IU that I think will go is Oladipo. I just base that on what is coming in. They have a point guard, a power forward, a center, and 2 swing men. I think that playing time is gonna be the concern on Victor's part. I see Yogi and Hanner getting lots of minutes if not starting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I dont see Zellar going pro. Both his older brothers graduated from their prospective colleges, I think Cody will follow suit. Now Watford just might. But I think he has hung around this long, he just might want to get some fruits for his labor. The guy on IU that I think will go is Oladipo. I just base that on what is coming in. They have a point guard, a power forward, a center, and 2 swing men. I think that playing time is gonna be the concern on Victor's part. I see Yogi and Hanner getting lots of minutes if not starting.
    I don't see Oladipo being drafted very high if he comes out. He's athletic and has size, but no other skills to really speak of. That's why a lot of UK fans are hoping MKG comes back to work on a jump shot and extend himself to the perimeter. I think Oladipo will be a star in Bloomington if he returns, regardless of who is coming in. His stock will be higher next year.

Zeller needs to stay in school as well, if only because this year is so deep thanks to the freshman class and the sophomores that stayed put due to the draft. Davis, Robinson, and Sullinger will go ahead of Zeller this year. Next year he could be a top 5 pick.

The one I see going is Watford. Crean will have a lot more to work with next season and Watford's stock I think is as high as its going to get. I see a logjam of Ferrell, Watford, Hulls, and Oladipo if that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't see Oladipo being drafted very high if he comes out. He's athletic and has size, but no other skills to really speak of. That's why a lot of UK fans are hoping MKG comes back to work on a jump shot and extend himself to the perimeter. I think Oladipo will be a star in Bloomington if he returns, regardless of who is coming in. His stock will be higher next year.

Zeller needs to stay in school as well, if only because this year is so deep thanks to the freshman class and the sophomores that stayed put due to the draft. Davis, Robinson, and Sullinger will go ahead of Zeller this year. Next year he could be a top 5 pick.

The one I see going is Watford. Crean will have a lot more to work with next season and Watford's stock I think is as high as its going to get. I see a logjam of Ferrell, Watford, Hulls, and Oladipo if that happens.
    I agree with all of this. Despite the deep draft, I've heard projections for Cody as high as top 5. If Cody comes back he'll get stronger and will finish a lot of those plays where he's been fouled. And I agree, I'd be surprised if he went.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Were I an NBA GM, I'd draft Zeller in the top five.

Heck, depending on the team, he could do as high as number two.

A center who doesn't mind contact, can put the ball on the floor, and shoot from 15? One that's young, tough, and plays decent defense already?

Yes, please.

Too, as he pushes his range, he could very well play both PF and C.

I'd definitely take him before Andre Drummond, despite the talent differential. Zeller's a horse. Drummond's a question mark.

If Zeller and Watford (esp. Zeller) went pro, next year would be a deflating experience for IU. You guys have been looking forward to next year for a while now. Great thing about this year is Crean brought the program back to dominance. Bad part is expectations are through the roof. Only reason it's bad is if IU doesn't come through with those expectations.

It would be disappointing no doubt. It's funny because I feel like I've been the cheerleader the last three years, suggesting that things weren't as bad as they appeared. Now, I feel like I have to play traffic cop and throw a wet blanket on the expectations. It's probably unrealistic for any team to expect a national championship or even a final four, much less one that will be counting heavily on 5 freshmen.

But I feel like that's the expectation put on IU right now.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Most of the state of Kentucky would look at you quizzically about pressure and expectation.

Those rational fans would nod in understanding.

(There aren't many of the latter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Most of the state of Kentucky would look at you quizzically about pressure and expectation.

Those rational fans would nod in understanding.

(There aren't many of the latter.)
    I have nothing wrong with UK's fans expectations. They should expect a NC every year. As should Red Sox/Yankees/Steelers/Cowboys/etc fans.

If there are no defections from the current squad. IU will probably be a Top 5 pre-season selection. One could argue that they might even be pre-season #1 depending on how things shake out at other schools. Regardless, a sweet sixteen appearance this year would naturally raise the expectation level for next year with basically the same team returning with some nice additions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It would be disappointing no doubt. It's funny because I feel like I've been the cheerleader the last three years, suggesting that things weren't as bad as they appeared. Now, I feel like I have to play traffic cop and throw a wet blanket on the expectations. It's probably unrealistic for any team to expect a national championship or even a final four, much less one that will be counting heavily on 5 freshmen.

But I feel like that's the expectation put on IU right now.
    I've been right there with you and feel the same way now. I was expecting a run like this season out of the class coming in and that hasn't changed for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    If there are no defections from the current squad. IU will probably be a Top 5 pre-season selection. One could argue that they might even be pre-season #1 depending on how things shake out at other schools. Regardless, a sweet sixteen appearance this year would naturally raise the expectation level for next year with basically the same team returning with some nice additions.
    There's a bit of a fallacy that "We did X this year, so next year it should be X + 1" Next year doesn't care what this year did.

Even with everyone coming back and great recruiting class, expecting any result over the course of one season is difficult to live up to and you'll eventually get anchored to an unreasonable expectation.

I think the strength of the program will be measured over the course of say 5 years. I think every 5 years, it's not unrealistic to expect 4 Sweet Sixteens and a Final Four with a NC every 10 years or so. But to expect a FF or NC one year or the next, it only sets a fan base up for disappointment.

Final Fours are like the baseball playoffs, IMO.

the trick is just getting to the Final Four. That in itself makes for a successful season.

National Championships are great (especially when you're a student/ covering one for the team you "follow"), but I think it'll make you miserable expecting one.

Whither Maurice Creek?

Stat geek...and proud
    I have a feeling Wat is going to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    There's a bit of a fallacy that "We did X this year, so next year it should be X + 1" Next year doesn't care what this year did.

Even with everyone coming back and great recruiting class, expecting any result over the course of one season is difficult to live up to and you'll eventually get anchored to an unreasonable expectation.

I think the strength of the program will be measured over the course of say 5 years. I think every 5 years, it's not unrealistic to expect 4 Sweet Sixteens and a Final Four with a NC every 10 years or so. But to expect a FF or NC one year or the next, it only sets a fan base up for disappointment.
    I dont agree with that. My expectations are based on the squad that is returning and past history regarding such. More often than not a team loses key players from one year to the next, so expectations change accordingly to those losses. If you got a starting five coming back on a team that defeated a #1, #2, and #5 during the regular season, received a #4 seed in the tourney, got defeated by the #1 overall seed in the sweet sixteen in a hard fought game.....it is only natural to expect a little more next year.

Turn Off Ads?