Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Basketball

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Indiana Basketball

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I don't think that's likely. They lost a lot of talent either through graduation or injury. The Roosevelt Jones injury is really what crushed their season.

To answer Muta's point though, I don't think the Big East is really that much of a step up from last year's A-10. What it does have that the A-10 didn't is a much better bottom of the conference. Seton Hall and Depaul shouldn't really put fear into any team that truly fancies itself tournament quality. But they're certainly better than the dregs of the A-10 or 50% of the Horizon league.
    They were 10-2 in the non-conference with a pair of 2 point losses (one of them to then-#5 OK State). They've lost three conference games in OT, and they led Creighton in the final minute last night. They've lost four other Big East games by single digits.

Now, I'm not guaranteeing they'd be a whole lot better if Stevens was there, but doesn't it make sense that a team that is that close to having a REALLY good record might have some pretty different results under one of the best coaches in basketball instead of an untested rookie coach?

And the Big East is quite a bit better than the A-10. The A-10 is pretty solid this year, but top to bottom it's really not close. They'll both be similarly represented in March, but I don't think the A-10 has a threat to go deep (not buying SLU). Villanova is a legit Final Four contender, and if Creighton got hot I could see them winning six in March (conversely, if they have a bad shooting night, they could easily be bounced in the first game; those guys are hot and cold).

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Did you guys hear that Hanner Perea was arrested for DUI?

From bad to worse.
    Like getting caught in an excrement storm without an umbrella.

What else can go wrong? Wait..don't answer that.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

5. Likes:

WMR (02-14-2014)

"So Fla Red"

Where's the Indiana football thread

7. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (02-18-2014)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Where's the Indiana football thread
    Nobody cares. Most Indiana basketball fans follow Notre Dame football, which is extremely lame.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Vonleh is going to end up going Top 5.

He's gone

Goodman has him going 6 right now, and he's better than Randle is:

Goodman: 2014 NBA mock draft 1.0
    Kansas boasts two top-3 picks; Marcus Smart a late lottery selection
    Updated: February 12, 2014, 11:53 AM ET
    By Jeff Goodman | ESPN Insider
    EMAIL
    PRINT
    NBA Mock Draft

Jeff Goodman discusses his first NBA mock draft and how far Marcus Smart has dropped.
    Tags: Joel Embiid, Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, Marcus Smart, Kansas Jayhawks, Oklahoma State Cowboys
    NEXT VIDEO video
    Marcus Smart Addresses Media

Andrew Wiggins was the front-runner entering the season, but I cautioned people that there was a good chance he wouldn't end up going No. 1 come June.

Wiggins is still in the mix for the top spot, but after talking to numerous NBA executives and general managers, it's his teammate -- skilled 7-footer Joel Embiid -- who has surged to the front. In fact, Wiggins could slide all the way down to No. 3.

Most NBA folks agreed that the top five -- at this point in time -- is fairly solid. However, it gets complicated after that group, as there's a significant drop-off. This draft is loaded with quality wings, and eight of the top nine guys are freshmen, with the lone exception hailing from Australia.

Remember, this isn't a mock draft based on what I would do. It's based on information gathered from NBA executives, college coaches and other industry sources. The draft order is based off of Chad Ford's NBA 2014 Lottery Mock Draft tool and reverse standings as of Sunday, Feb. 9.

Freshman Tracker | Chad Ford Big Board 7.0

1. Joel Embiid | C | Milwaukee Bucks
    College: Kansas | Age: 19 | 7-0, 250
    Bucks GM John Hammond will choose the player he thinks has the best chance of being a star. Right now it's a three-man race, but sources indicate Hammond loves the skill, size and rapid progression of Embiid. The Cameroon native is new to the game and has tremendous upside. Embiid can help the Bucks on both ends of the court, and while he recently told ESPN.com he might return to school, most feel that he'll be in June's draft.

2. Jabari Parker | SF | Philadelphia 76ers
    College: Duke | Age: 18 | 6-8, 241
    New GM Sam Hinkie already has a talented young point guard in Michael Carter-Williams, and they drafted a defensive presence in Nerlens Noel -- so their biggest need is a big-time scoring wing. This won't be an easy call between Parker and Wiggins, but the Sixers need someone who can be a reliable scorer and Parker is more suited to help right away.

3. Andrew Wiggins | SG | Orlando Magic
    College: Kansas | Age: 18 | 6-8, 200
    General manager Rob Hennigan selected Victor Oladipo in the same spot a year ago, and he could add another freak athlete to the team in Wiggins. The Magic just need to accumulate talent, and Wiggins has as much as just about anyone in this draft.

4. Julius Randle | PF | Sacramento Kings
    College: Kentucky | Age: 19 | 6-9, 225
    The Kings could pair DeMarcus Cousins and Randle -- a pair of ex-Kentucky Wildcats -- together on the front line. Randle would alleviate pressure from Cousins because of Randle's ability to rebound at a high level. Randle's also capable of stepping out on the perimeter, which would allow the two to play together.

5. Dante Exum | G | Utah Jazz
    The Jazz have a terrific young point guard in Trey Burke, and a couple of bigs in Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter. Utah could use a combo guard with size and athleticism. While Exum is a risk because of his relatively low exposure, he could pay off in long run and the Jazz might be getting a star.

6. Noah Vonleh | PF | Boston Celtics
    College: Indiana | Age: 18 | 6-10, 240
    Celtics boss Danny Ainge will take the player he feels has the best chance of becoming a star in the league, and that's Vonleh. He's a local kid who still is figuring out where to score, but he's a versatile forward who is coachable and just scratching the surface of his immense talent.
    Yeah, I read that yesterday. At this point, I wouldn't blame him for going to the NBA. After all, how much more is Vonleh going to develop in College with three people suffocating every time he touches the ball..and that isn't even taking into account the several trips down the court in which teammates seemingly forget that he's on the court and he never touches that ball at all.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Nobody cares. Most Indiana basketball fans follow Notre Dame football, which is extremely lame.
    Sad, but spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Yeah, I read that yesterday. At this point, I wouldn't blame him for going to the NBA. After all, how much more is Vonleh going to develop in College with three people suffocating every time he touches the ball..and that isn't even taking into account the several trips down the court in which teammates seemingly forget that he's on the court and he never touches that ball at all.
    Pitiful aint it?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post

13. Likes:

Razor Shines (02-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    They were 10-2 in the non-conference with a pair of 2 point losses (one of them to then-#5 OK State). They've lost three conference games in OT, and they led Creighton in the final minute last night. They've lost four other Big East games by single digits.

Now, I'm not guaranteeing they'd be a whole lot better if Stevens was there, but doesn't it make sense that a team that is that close to having a REALLY good record might have some pretty different results under one of the best coaches in basketball instead of an untested rookie coach?

And the Big East is quite a bit better than the A-10. The A-10 is pretty solid this year, but top to bottom it's really not close. They'll both be similarly represented in March, but I don't think the A-10 has a threat to go deep (not buying SLU). Villanova is a legit Final Four contender, and if Creighton got hot I could see them winning six in March (conversely, if they have a bad shooting night, they could easily be bounced in the first game; those guys are hot and cold).
    It's easy to imagine that the team would have won a number of the close games under Brad Stevens as opposed to Brandon Miller, however a lot of close losses doesn't necessarily mean the team is close. They've won a number of close games over not nearly prime time teams.

As for the A-10 vs. Big East comparison, sorry for being unclear. The Big East is obviously better than the A-10 this year. The A-10 lost 4 programs, 3 of which went to the tournament last year.)
    But my point was that the jump from last year's A-10 to this year's Big East was not a huge jump. The biggest jump was in the lack of truly awful teams at the bottom of the conference.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Funny thing is that over a year ago...we all thought Stevens was going nowhere. That changed, he abruptly left for a great opportunity. Now we look back and say "dang, that was a pretty smart move". I say he saw the cards on the table the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I kinda am on the fence with the TWolves. I'm about to root for them to tank yet again. I want Vonleh bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I kinda am on the fence with the TWolves. I'm about to root for them to tank yet again. I want Vonleh bad.
    If Vonleh, indeed, declares for the draft, I would love to see that happen. Granted, a lot depends on what happens with Kevin Love, but Vonleh should fit in perfectly within the TWolves system, which could use more athleticism and rim protection up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Funny thing is that over a year ago...we all thought Stevens was going nowhere. That changed, he abruptly left for a great opportunity. Now we look back and say "dang, that was a pretty smart move". I say he saw the cards on the table the whole time.
    It was the right time move on, but only if something (not just monetarily) extraordinary was out there--like a chance to coach for one of the most storied pro franchises, which we know transpired.

While one can argue that Butler moving on to a more "prestigious" conference increases recruiting possibilities, which in turn creates a "stronger" NCAA Program, Here's the counter argument: The goal is obviously to be crowned NCAA champion, and qualifying for the NCAA tourney itself is half of the battle right there.

This is certainly not meant as a knock against Stevens, but let's face it, compared with this new Big East or even the A-10, the Horizon wasn't exactly murderers row. If your non-conference schedule was difficult enough to increase your RPI -- as it usually was -- and you proceed to run roughshod through your conference, you are virtually guaranteed a spot in the Big Dance.

This is the same reason that coaches like Marshall, Smart and Few, who are following virtually the same blueprint --and to an extent, Jerry Tarkianian at UNLV did, as well -- as Stevens and his recent predecessors at Butler, are, IMO better served staying where they are. This the beauty of NCAA B-Ball, unlike Major NCAA Football, an affiliation with a "Major" is unnecessary for a shot at the big prize. Why create a tougher path to the tourney itself? Granted, by not parlaying coaching a mid-major into a "better" job, you also run the risk of becoming the next Chris Lowery at SIU, but his situation seemed like an outlier to me.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-15-2014 at 01:02 AM.

This team is just absolute garbage.

Turn Off Ads?